huge panorama display

  • Yuval Levy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2007
      I was inside it, with a few other people.
      <http://www.photopla.net/070507sat/>

      Yuv

      --
      Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
      Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2007
        Yuval Levy schrieb:
        > I was inside it, with a few other people.
        > <http://www.photopla.net/070507sat/>
        Hello Yuval,

        Can you tell us more about it? How did the setup look like? any purpose
        behind it? :-)

        Bernhard
      • Yuval Levy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2007
          Bernhard Vogl wrote:
          >> <http://www.photopla.net/070507sat/>
          >
          > Can you tell us more about it? How did the setup look like? any purpose
          > behind it? :-)

          Most people you see in the panoramas are GIMP developers. They were in
          Montreal for <http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/> at which we (Pablo
          d'Angelo, Jim Watters, Alexandre Prokoudine and myself) represented
          hugin/panotools.

          <http://www.photopla.net/070506lgm/>
          <http://www.photopla.net/070505lgm/>
          <http://www.photopla.net/070504lgm/> (one of them is my first pano with
          sound recorded and played)
          <http://www.photopla.net/070503lgm/>

          The purpose of LGM is to promote Open Source image processing software.

          The purpose of SAT, a non-profit where the huge display is located, is
          to promote artistic use of new technology. The SAT provides synergies
          between academic researchers and artists.

          Developers and artists were two major groups at LGM and the SAT was
          meant to be the conference's dinner venue. Budget restrictions imposed a
          change of plan. Nevertheless SAT organized a little extra for us on the
          Monday after the conference ended.

          I was scheduled to give a show of VR during the dinner. I met with SAT
          prior to LGM to prepare for a show on their infrastructure, but ended up
          presenting it on a conventional projector during the dinner.

          Nevertheless, the contact was positive and so SAT organized a visit
          after the end of the official conference.

          The cyclorama happened to be the display technology ready for use, and
          which I would have used during the dinner. There are other projects
          dealing with other forms of 3D display, including a dome and an inversed
          dome called panoscope - though these are more for individual experiences
          while the cyclorama, as you can see in the VR posted, is for groups.

          What is particularly interesting about the cyclorama is that it is all
          built with standard components and that the professor who designed the
          system intends to publish it soon under an Open Source license.

          The hardware is just a bunch of standard XGA projectors connected to a
          bunch of standard networked PCs with basic accelerated graphics. It can
          project on virtually anything, in this case on a spandex tissue.

          The system is amazingly flexible and tolerant of most variables such as
          projector positioning, projection surface shape and luminosity, number
          of projectors, etc.

          A small system can be set up with as little as three projectors, though
          to get a meaningful 360° cylinder it takes 7 or 8 of them, and a full
          deployment in this class/size is somewhere around 150K-300K $ without
          considering that the lamps have to be replaced regularly and that every
          change requires a new calibration.

          The system uses a lot of principles known in this community from
          stitching panoramas, though in inverted sense: overlap between the
          projected images is required; the projected images are split along the
          seams (as opposed to stitched when producing panoramas) and blended in
          real time according to previous established photometric profiles that
          take into account irregularities in shape and reflectivity of the
          projection surface.

          The system requires calibration, a process that is more complex than for
          panorama stitching, though with similar principles. Calibration patterns
          with control points are projected on the surface and captured by a
          mirror lens (almost like the donuts of cheap real estate 360
          photography) and an HD video camera (though a digital camera could also
          be used, it would slow the process).

          The projected image is split by the master computer for each individual
          projecting computer, which applies the distorsion, luminosity and
          chromatic profile to the partial image before sending it to the
          projector, synchronized via the network at each frame.

          The Cyclorama is one of many research projects financed by the Canadian
          government in the field of 3D visualisation. There are other similar
          approaches in other parts of the world.

          Interesting times ahead
          Yuv

          --
          Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
          Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
          strictly forbidden.
        • Pajuaba Gmail
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2007
            Just a side question: There is a guy with a shirt with what looks to be
            a stylized brazilian flag. Is it really? Who is he?
            Regards,
            Rodolpho Pajuaba

            Yuval Levy escreveu:
            > Bernhard Vogl wrote:
            >
            >>><http://www.photopla.net/070507sat/>
            >>
            >>Can you tell us more about it? How did the setup look like? any purpose
            >>behind it? :-)
            >

            > Most people you see in the panoramas are GIMP developers. They were in
            > Montreal for <http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/> at which we (Pablo
            > d'Angelo, Jim Watters, Alexandre Prokoudine and myself) represented
            > hugin/panotools.
          • Yuval Levy
            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2007
              Pajuaba Gmail wrote:
              > Just a side question: There is a guy with a shirt with what looks to be
              > a stylized brazilian flag. Is it really? Who is he?

              I don't know his name, but he is a member of the Gimp team IIRC.

              There were two Brazilians at the hugin presentation on Sunday.

              <http://www.photopla.net/070506lgm/>

              spot them :-)

              Yuv