Some new Panormas with the Sigma F/4

  • Roberto Gomez Torres
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2007
      Hello List.

      It looks like on this list the old and good Sigma F/4 does not have a lot of
      fans here. =(

      Well, any way I would like to share with you some panos I took on my last
      camping at the "Queretaro Sierra, Mexico" a couple of weekends ago.
      On the last two panoramas I have been playing with Photomatix Pro and it's
      "Highlights and Shadows" algorithm. I guess the results are not bad at all.
      The pictures were a good challenge since the light, clouds, wind and weather
      in general change very quick at that place.
      Technical and equipment description is at each panorama footer.

      Panorama 1
      http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-1.html

      Panorama 2
      http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-2.html

      Panorama 3
      http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-3.html

      Any comments are welcome.
      Gracias amigos.
      ======================
      Roberto Gómez Torres
      Tiempo Digital
      Mexico City, Mexico
      www.tiempo-digital.com
      ======================
    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roberto Gomez Torres"
        <roberto@...> wrote:

        > Hello List.
        >
        > It looks like on this list the old and good Sigma F/4 does not have
        a lot of
        > fans here. =(
        >
        > Well, any way I would like to share with you some panos I took on
        my last
        > camping at the "Queretaro Sierra, Mexico" a couple of weekends ago.
        > On the last two panoramas I have been playing with Photomatix Pro
        and it's
        > "Highlights and Shadows" algorithm. I guess the results are not bad
        at all.
        > The pictures were a good challenge since the light, clouds, wind
        and weather
        > in general change very quick at that place.
        > Technical and equipment description is at each panorama footer.
        >

        > Panorama 1
        > http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-1.html
        >
        > Panorama 2
        > http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-2.html
        >
        > Panorama 3
        > http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-3.html
        >

        > Any comments are welcome.

        Hi Roberto,

        Very beautiful places there, challenging light situation,
        my oppinion is that you can achieve better result on HDR merging,
        and was need for zenith shoot on each pano, now you have unpleasent
        distorsions on zenith,

        thanks for sharing,
        Dorin
      • Chris Thomas
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2007
          Hey Roberto…

          All 3 panos crashed my Firefox 2.0.03

          I got a proper download and your beautifully designed Interface (What are
          you using?)

          Your pano loads but before I can interact with it FireFox gives “Have
          encountered a Problem, must shut down” message.

          Panos look great …..

          XP Pro Service Pack 2

          Quicktime 7.1.6

          They all work great in Explorer 7.0.5

          Cheers

          chris

          Chris Thomas

          Location Scout/Manager

          cell... 403-615-1212

          In North America

          call... 1-800-870-5110

          http://www.albertalocations.com

          http://www.tiempo- <http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-1.html>

          http://www.tiempo- <http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-2.html>

          http://www.tiempo- <http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-3.html>
          digital.com/galeria/fs-chuveje-3.html

          Any comments are welcome.
          Gracias amigos.
          ======================
          Roberto Gómez Torres
          Tiempo Digital
          Mexico City, Mexico
          www.tiempo-digital.com
          snip.

          .

          d=9630/stime=1179423682/nc1=3848531/nc2=3848641/nc3=4025375>

        • Philip Scott
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18, 2007
            Well done I would say. I saw the shooting detail- shutter speeds etc, but how many images compose this pano? In other words, you shot two around? Three around plus zenith and nadir or....? Also in what were they stitched- PTGui? HDR before stitching?

            Thanks for any such details.

            Phil

[...]

            ============ ========= =

            Roberto Gómez Torres

            Tiempo Digital

            Mexico City, Mexico

            www.tiempo-digital. com

            ============ ========= =

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o {font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4;}
            -->

            ____________________________________________________________________________________You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
            in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

          • Philip Scott
            Message 5 of 12 , May 18, 2007
              BTW, I had no crash here with Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Quicktime 7.1.6 on XP.

[...]

              Roberto G�mez Torres

              Tiempo Digital

              Mexico City, Mexico

              www.tiempo-digital. com

              snip.

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo. com/serv? s=97359714/ grpId=18227848/ grpspId=17050064 96/msgI

              Message 6 of 12 , May 18, 2007
                Hello Dorin.

                Thanks a lot for taking the time to view my panoramas.
                I have been making tests also with the HDR Merging with Photomatix Pro but
                at this moment I can not master the Tone Mapping step.

                When you say that I can achieve better results, on which way do you mean it
                ?
                Will I have better colors, greater contrast, soft shadows or just less
                difference between dark and light places ?
                What I found on my few tests is that with HDR Merging I loose some sharpness
                and the image looks some how "washed out".

                Please comment on that, I am sure your early experience with HDR will help
                me a lot with my future work.

                With the Zenith on my panoramas you are correct.
                Since I only shoot lateral pictures the Zenith part lacks detail and
                presents distortion.
                I will be buying a panorama head in the near future that allows me to take
                precisely the up shot.

                Muchas gracias.
                ======================
                Roberto Gómez Torres
                Tiempo Digital
                Mexico City, Mexico
                www.tiempo-digital.com
                ======================

                Message 7 of 12 , May 18, 2007
                  Hello Chris.

                  Thank you so much for taking the time to see my panoramas.

                  I am happy that you liked my interface design.
                  I am not using any Web Page editor, only the Windows Notepad. ;)

                  It was a surprise for me that my panoramas did not show correctly on your
                  FireFox Install (Firefox 2.0.03).
                  I will look into it.

                  Anyone else had the same problem ?
                  Or if someone can see a clear mistake on my code please let me know.

                  Gracias amigo.
                  ======================
                  Roberto Gómez Torres
                  Tiempo Digital
                  Mexico City, Mexico
                  www.tiempo-digital.com
                  ======================

                  5c.
                  Re: Some new Panormas with the Sigma F/4
                  Posted by: "Chris Thomas" chris@... photomasc
                  Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 pm (PST)

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 18, 2007
                    Hey Roberto…

                    I noticed someone else said they had the same set-up and it worked!

                    Perhaps it’s my Firefox…. It’s crashed a few time lately… so I may have to
                    reload it.

                    I’m very impressed with your hand coded interface…

                    Cheers amigo

                    chris

                    Chris Thomas

                    Photographer

                    cell... 403-615-1212

                    In North America

                    call... 1-800-870-5110

                    Thank you so much for taking the time to see my panoramas.

                    I am happy that you liked my interface design.
                    I am not using any Web Page editor, only the Windows Notepad. ;)

                    It was a surprise for me that my panoramas did not show correctly on your
                    FireFox Install (Firefox 2.0.03).
                    I will look into it.

                    Anyone else had the same problem ?
                    Or if someone can see a clear mistake on my code please let me know.

                    Gracias amigo.
                    ======================
                    Roberto Gómez Torres
                    Tiempo Digital
                    Mexico City, Mexico
                    www.tiempo-digital.com
                    ======================

                    5c.
                    Re: Some new Panormas with the Sigma F/4
                    Posted by: "Chris Thomas" chris@christhomas.
                    <mailto:chris%40christhomas.com> com photomasc
                    Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 pm (PST)
                    Hey Roberto.

                    All 3 panos crashed my Firefox 2.0.03

                    I got a proper download and your beautifully designed Interface (What are
                    you using?)
                    snip

                    .

                    d=9651/stime=1179513105/nc1=3848525/nc2=4025306/nc3=3848642>

                  • dorindxn
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 19, 2007
                      <roberto@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Dorin.
                      >

                      > When you say that I can achieve better results, on which way do you
                      mean it
                      > ?
                      > Will I have better colors, greater contrast, soft shadows or just
                      less
                      > difference between dark and light places ?
                      > What I found on my few tests is that with HDR Merging I loose some
                      sharpness
                      > and the image looks some how "washed out".
                      >
                      > Please comment on that, I am sure your early experience with HDR
                      will help
                      > me a lot with my future work.

                      Hi Roberto, it's about colors, as you know I use self-made software
                      for HDR merge, I intend to release it as a freeware but seems that is
                      need for some money to release and sustain a freeware. so it will
                      wait.

                      Anyway isn't about my software here, any software could be used,
                      only that software must produce what kind of result pleases you so
                      you must be his master not viceversa.

                      You must divide a pano in certain entities like trees, sky, ground,
                      water, stones, the color of which one must be as good as you can
                      obtain but close to natural look.

                      They must look natural (as you get the best picture of stones, say)
                      not color safe nor tone safe.

                      you have many colors/tones in your pano (say the second) but they
                      don't look natural starting with waterfall, stones and to end with
                      the sky.

                      A better result was, in my oppinion of course, if you just make two
                      layers from normal exposed variant and over it second layer to be
                      your released hdr result, then making the second layer 75% or 50%
                      transparent.

                      That's a simple approach and fix but could help.

                      Dorin
                      p.s. please excuse my English
                    • Roberto Gomez Torres
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 21, 2007
                        Hello Phil,

                        Here are some details.
                        I use a 6 Megapixels Camera.
                        Sigma 8mm F/4 Fisheye lens , Nikon Mount. Manual Mode, focus to Infinity.
                        Always shot in RAW format using the Braketing function my Nikon D70s has.
                        3 pictures for each position at -2 , 0 , +2 EV.

                        I like to shot 8 positions around ( at this moment No Zenith Shot and a free
                        hand Nadir ).
                        I work on Microsoft Windows Machines (Windows XP on my desktop and Windows
                        Vista on my Laptop).

                        Nikon Capture Software to convert from RAW format to TIFF 16bits.
                        At this time I am playing and learning how to get best HDR results with
                        Photomatix Pro.
                        For stitching I used PTGui.

                        For editing the panorama Cube Faces (mainly the Nadir ) I extract them from
                        the resulting PTGui equirectangular files using a custom program I wrote
                        (named ToCube) and then patch, clone, sharp, etc in Photoshop CS2:

                        ToCube:
                        http://www.tiempo-digital.com/en/software/tocube/tocube.html

                        Finally I only convert the cube faces to QuickTime VR format, using 1,600 x
                        1,600 pixels resolution for each face and between 55 - 40 JPEG compression
                        for the final full screen file.

                        Hope that helps.
                        ======================
                        Roberto Gómez Torres
                        Tiempo Digital
                        Mexico City, Mexico
                        www.tiempo-digital.com
                        ======================

                        2a.
                        Re: Some new Panormas with the Sigma F/4
                        Posted by: "Philip Scott" pwscott98@... pwscott98
                        Fri May 18, 2007 10:23 am (PST)

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 21, 2007
                          Chris,

                          I installed Firefox on my Windows XP machine, the same version as yours.
                          All my panoramas downloaded and worked as expected.

                          I guess your instalation is corrupted somehow as you have pointed.
                          Hope a reinstallation of Firefox could work for you.

                          I am happy that you liked my panoramas interface =)

                          All the best my friend. Gracias.
                          ======================
                          Roberto Gómez Torres
                          Tiempo Digital
                          Mexico City, Mexico
                          www.tiempo-digital.com
                          ======================

                          2e.
                          Re: Some new Panormas with the Sigma F/4
                          Posted by: "Chris Thomas" chris@... photomasc
                          Fri May 18, 2007 7:59 pm (PST)

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 21, 2007
                            Hey Dorin,

                            Thank's a lot for your kind reply and help.
                            I will try your advice using a layer with the neutral exposure and a second
                            layer coming from the HDR result.

                            That should gives an interesing new composition.

                            Hope in the near future we could see your self-made HDR software as freeware
                            or shareware.

                            Gracias amigo.
                            ======================
                            Roberto Gómez Torres
                            Tiempo Digital
                            Mexico City, Mexico
                            www.tiempo-digital.com

                            2a.
                            Re: Some new Panormas with the Sigma F/4
                            Posted by: "dorindxn" Dorin@... dorindxn
                            Sat May 19, 2007 5:58 am (PST)
[...]

                            Back to top