RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: is Shockwave dead?

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2007
      On 16 May 2007 at 9:58, Dave Ashton wrote:

      > They recon. 98% of peeps have flash, around 55% shockwave and java and
      > probably quicktime.

      But if I understood this correctly, for using Spi-V it's not enough just to have
      Shockwave installed, but it needs a 3D accellerator as well?

      > Java doesn´t come natively with windows XP, so a manual install in needed.
      >
      > They are all plugin technologies, so flash would be the best option for
      > coverage.

      Yes, but with all the flashing web pages around it looks like a lot of people are turning
      Flash off?
      At the moment my choice is Immervisions .ivp packages. One set f source files can be
      shown with both Java and Flash, although the Flash version is not available as Pro
      (yet?), which prevents us from making a GUI.

      > I think tours look the best in quicktime, but not everyone has the plugin.

      It may look good when static, but when panning the motion is not smooth at all, like with
      PurePlayer and DevalVR. And adding/changing hotspots is a lot of work (unless there are
      better PC tools around for this than Pano2Qtvr that doesn't require the entire .mov file
      to be rebuilt?)

      > Best to ask your client what they think is the best for their target
      > audience so it is in their hands!!

      They are happy as long as most people can view them.