newbie help request

  • pano@hush.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2007
      hello

      my name is Benoît. I am an architecture student.

      I try make like http://www.aliquam.org/blog/photography/panorama/

      I followed the links on that page to starting point mentioned and
      read.

      I try autostitch. I try PTgui. I try hugin. The perspective of the
      buildings in my pictures is not right. Vertical lines are not
      parallel and not vertical.

      I use Olympus c8080 on simple tripod to capture some pictures of
      one building.

      How far should I stand from the building for entrance pupil not to
      cause parallax errors? I read
      http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Entrance_pupil
      and realise I do not have a proper adapter.

      I search information about Olympus, but
      http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic/photography/lens_database.html and
      http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Entrance_Pupil_D
      atabase are only about professional SLR cameras?

      Is this problem parallax or something else?

      And why can't I access panotools forum? administrator asked
      question but let me post my question only here and not in forum?

      thank you
      Benoît

      --
      Click for free quote on refinancing your mortgage.
      http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/CAaCXv1QYGNP8nHoUgL3OenciKXtuItS/
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, <pano@...> wrote:
        > I try autostitch. I try PTgui. I try hugin. The perspective of the
        > buildings in my pictures is not right. Vertical lines are not
        > parallel and not vertical.

        Correcting the verticals in PTGui is simple and takes only a minute
        or so. Please see:

        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/levtut.htm

        While a proper panorama head and tripod will reliably give the best
        results, you can take your architectural photos even with a handheld
        camera quite successfully provided you try to keep the lens in the
        same position as you rotate the camera. If there are any objects
        near to the camera, keep them away from the image overap areas
        whenever possible.

        In PTGui, assign control points only on distant features, avoiding
        clouds and any other moving objects. Selecting the Smartblend
        blending option will often correct minor parallax errors. Larger
        parallax errors can usually be corrected/hidden by outputting a
        layered file and editing the layer masks in Photoshop to route the
        seam edges around the objects.

        John
      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2007
          On 7 May 2007 at 22:33, pano@... wrote:

          > hello
          >
          > my name is Benoît. I am an architecture student.
          >
          > I try make like http://www.aliquam.org/blog/photography/panorama/
          >
          > I followed the links on that page to starting point mentioned and
          > read.
          >
          > I try autostitch. I try PTgui. I try hugin. The perspective of the
          > buildings in my pictures is not right. Vertical lines are not
          > parallel and not vertical.

          You need to add vertical lines, ie add 2 points on the same vertical edge. In PTgui you
          just show the same image on both sides and add control points. When optimizing you need
          to turn on optimizing for pitch and roll too, and you need to use Panotools as optimizer.
          For some reason the PTgui optimizer doesn't like vertical and horizontal lines.

          > I use Olympus c8080 on simple tripod to capture some pictures of
          > one building.
          >
          > How far should I stand from the building for entrance pupil not to
          > cause parallax errors? I read
          > http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Entrance_pupil
          > and realise I do not have a proper adapter.

          It depends a lot on the building. If it is just a flat facade it is much easier to avoid
          errors.
          A panorama head will help a lot, but I have made many panoramas/mosaics with a handheld
          C7070 or C50 without problems. You need to rotate the camera around a point near the
          front of the lens. A monopod (with a level) is also useful, but the best is a real
          panohead. I use Nodal Ninja 3 with a T-adapter. When I use it with WCON-07C wide angle
          adapter I need to use 2 T adapters because the lens is so wide, and with Raynox DCR-
          CF185PRO fisheye I also need 2 T's, because the lens is so long.
          For shots of a single (or a few) building(s) you will do just fine with the built-in
          27mm.

          > I search information about Olympus, but
          > http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic/photography/lens_database.html and
          > http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Entrance_Pupil_D
          > atabase are only about professional SLR cameras?

          With a C8080 it varies depending on the zoom.

          > Is this problem parallax or something else?

          Hard to say without seeing any examples...--
          Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
        • Carl von Einem
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2007
            Hi Benoît,

            it looks as if there is some (minor) confusion about the Panotools
            resources, I know it's not that easy to find out for "newbies".

            The official panotools wiki is at
            http://wiki.panotools.org/
            Due to a personal split of the whole community with the person behind
            the ".info" domain wiki.panotools.org is now the place that is used as a
            primary knowledge source by software developers and other contributors.

            If you are interested in the history behind that you can have a look at
            http://wiki.panotools.org/PanoTools:History where you can learn about
            the reasons why the panotools community moved the wiki to the ".org"
            domain and the mailing list to this Panotools Yahoo group you are
            actually writing to.

            If you need further information and/or you are interested in the
            "politics" you (as well as every other NG list member) are welcome to
            join the dedicated Panotools-list Yahoo group at
            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/

            Benoît wrote:

            > I try autostitch. I try PTgui. I try hugin. The perspective of the
            > buildings in my pictures is not right. Vertical lines are not
            > parallel and not vertical.

            You might try to set special control points that define a vertical line,
            see
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Leveling_a_Finished_Panorama
            on how to set vertical control points.

            > I use Olympus c8080 on simple tripod to capture some pictures of
            > one building.
            >
            > How far should I stand from the building for entrance pupil not to
            > cause parallax errors? I read
            A greater distance from objects is only making it easier for handheld
            shots and badly defined No Parallax Points (NPP, see
            http://wiki.panotools.org/NPP ).

            > http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Entrance_pupil
            > and realise I do not have a proper adapter.

            Bad link as mentioned above. Please refer to wiki.panotools.org

            > I search information about Olympus, but
            > http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic/photography/lens_database.html and
            > http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Entrance_Pupil_D
            > atabase are only about professional SLR cameras?

            Just log in and add your camera's values to
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database where I also find e.g.
            a Fujifilm FinePix S7000 and that's afaik no professional (D)SLR.

            > Is this problem parallax or something else?

            Can you upload an example somewhere? If you have no webspace available
            feel free to mail to my personal address.

            > And why can't I access panotools forum? administrator asked
            > question but let me post my question only here and not in forum?

            That's because there is no connection between that "forum" and the
            Panotools NG resources (PanotoolsNG Yahoo group and wiki.panotools.org).

            Sorry for the lengthy mail, hope it addresses some questions.

            Carl
          • Joergen Geerds
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 2007
              hi benoit,

              here is a tutorial about the mysterious nodal point:
              http://www.kingpano.com/nodal_tut.htm

              it has nothing to do with the distance to your object,
              but the axis of camera rotation. the more precise you
              are with rotating around the nodal point, the less
              parallax errors and stitching problems you have.

              but i also agree with the other posters: setting
              vertical control points is extremely important to
              straighten your panorama.

              http://mail.yahoo.com