Advice for aerial 360 needed

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28 5:17 AM
      Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but some
      helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.

      I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too narrow
      FOV from an ultralight plane.

      To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ... upcomings
      :)

      Thanksalot and
      All the best

      Jürgen
    • enbilaman
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 28 5:49 AM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

        > Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but some
        > helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.
        >
        > I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too narrow
        > FOV from an ultralight plane.
        >
        > To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ... upcomings
        > :)
        >
        > Thanksalot and
        > All the best
        >
        > Jürgen

        I am convinced that aerial 360 panorama making means **the smallest number of shots
        that is technically possible**.

        So, I believe you are on a wrong track:
        You should either switch to a shorter focal length lens (e.g. to a Sigma 8mm) or you
        should change to another best suited camera (f.e. an EOS 5D with a lens adapter.

        Best regards,

        Michel
      • b_dohrmann
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 28 6:32 AM
          Hi Jürgen,
          I agree with Michel, when you want to shoot a 360° pano like this:
          http://www.fullscreenqtvr.com/fullscreen_singolo.html

          Now another interesting link for aerial 360 Panos
          is the way that Scott Haffner goes. http://scotthaefner.com/kap/
          He use for his aerial photo with a selfmade nodalpunktadapter on a
          kite !

          best from germany
          Bernd

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "enbilaman" <thobymichel@...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 28 7:15 AM
            On Friday, July 28, 2006 at 12:17, Juergen Schrader wrote:

            > Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but some
            > helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.
            >
            > I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too narrow
            > FOV from an ultralight plane.

            Ed Fink used a helicopter, which is able to "stand in the air" An
            ultralight will have to move, hence you get parallax problems,
            especially if there are high buildings, trees etc. below.

            I would look for a landmark below and exactly above that landmark
            shoot straight down with maximum field of view. Perhaps you need a
            monopod and cable release to hold the camera below the plane. Then
            instruct the pilot to fly 8-shaped figures above the landmark, each 8
            a bit rotated relative to the other. Any time you pass the landmark
            shoot a part of the horizon. Shoot more than needed - the more you
            have the less likely you missed a part. This way you'll minimize
            parallax errors. Shoot the sky above of course.

            When Stitching the horizontal shots mask away as much as possible
            from the near ground parts in order to minimize possible parallax
            errors.

            Have fun! (And show the results)

            best regards
            http://www.erik-krause.de/
          • RomualdV
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28 7:44 AM
              Le 28 juil. 06 à 16:17, Juergen Schrader a écrit

              > To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ... upcomings
              > :)
              To test the bag, check this one first :

              http://perso.orange.fr/panoramas.re/vrp/acro.mov

              ;-)

              Romuald
            • Dave 360texas.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28 8:20 AM
                ARRRGGGG something needs proper image alignment. I go dizzy trying
                to find the horizon.

                dave still @360texas

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RomualdV <vromuald@...> wrote:

                > Le 28 juil. 06 à 16:17, Juergen Schrader a écrit
                >

                > > To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ...
                upcomings
                > > :)
                > To test the bag, check this one first :
                >
                > http://perso.orange.fr/panoramas.re/vrp/acro.mov
                >
                > ;-)
                >
                > Romuald

              • hoylekoontz
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28 8:46 AM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RomualdV <vromuald@...> wrote:

                  > > To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ...
                  upcomings
                  > > :)
                  > To test the bag, check this one first :
                  >
                  > http://perso.orange.fr/panoramas.re/vrp/acro.mov

                  Oh, man - missed the bag & got some on my shoe, and now the dog is
                  eating. . . . oh God. . . not again. . . ;^)

                  Very nice. . . what's with the vertigo-inducing panos this week?
                  Quite a theme we have going. . . wish I had something I could offer.

                  Hoyle
                • Juergen Schrader
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28 10:38 AM
                    Thanks, Eric.
                    8 shaped figures seem a good idea.

                    Of course I'd rather wish I could do it with as less shots as
                    possible. But for now that's all I've got :)

                    Since I won't have to pay for the flight and the pilot is very
                    interested in that kind of photography we might just try to get the
                    best out of it.

                    @ Romuald
                    That pano is by means revolting *g*

                    @ Hoyle
                    I agree. That vertigo stuff deserves to get deeper into.
                    Right the next day I went to a churchtower nearby which get's a
                    complete new paint. But that sissy painter even won`t let me get up
                    the scaffolding. No way. Talking about insurance, safety shoes and all
                    that ... DOH! Russia sometimes seems really liberate, hehe.

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>
                    wrote:

                    > On Friday, July 28, 2006 at 12:17, Juergen Schrader wrote:
                    >
                    > > Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but some
                    > > helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.
                    > >
                    > > I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too
                    narrow
                    > > FOV from an ultralight plane.
                    >
                    > Ed Fink used a helicopter, which is able to "stand in the air" An
                    > ultralight will have to move, hence you get parallax problems,
                    > especially if there are high buildings, trees etc. below.
                    >
                    > I would look for a landmark below and exactly above that landmark
                    > shoot straight down with maximum field of view. Perhaps you need a
                    > monopod and cable release to hold the camera below the plane. Then
                    > instruct the pilot to fly 8-shaped figures above the landmark, each
                    8
                    > a bit rotated relative to the other. Any time you pass the landmark
                    > shoot a part of the horizon. Shoot more than needed - the more you
                    > have the less likely you missed a part. This way you'll minimize
                    > parallax errors. Shoot the sky above of course.
                    >
                    > When Stitching the horizontal shots mask away as much as possible
                    > from the near ground parts in order to minimize possible parallax
                    > errors.
                    >
                    > Have fun! (And show the results)
                    >
                    > best regards
                    > --
                    > Erik Krause
                    > Resources, not only for panorama creation:
                    > http://www.erik-krause.de/

                  • RomualdV
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28 1:35 PM
                      Le 28 juil. 06 à 21:38, Juergen Schrader a écrit :

                      > Thanks, Eric.
                      > 8 shaped figures seem a good idea.

                      Yes, a kind of twin-8. See
                      http://vrm.vrway.com/vartist/guest_artist/
                      AN_INTERVIEW_WITH_AERIAL_VR_PHOTOGRAPHER_ROMUALD_VAREUSE.html

                      ups, try that

                      http://tinyurl.com/a3qkj

                      No more to say because it depends a lot in your experience with
                      fisheyes and handheld panos.
                      Actually I use 8 shots around + 1 or 2 nadir + sky with 15mm on full
                      size chip.

                      Romuald
                      http://www.panoramas.re/AERIEN/index.htm
                      http://www.panoramas.re/AERIEN/indexbis.htm

                    • Juergen Schrader
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 28 3:07 PM
                        Very inspiring pictures Romuald and thanks for the indormation.

                        My pilot is often going across the Alps to Italy and it is really
                        challenging and tempting trying to get the like from there. Can't wait
                        to get the first tests going. Although I'm not expecting too much ;)

                        Too bad, forecast says thunderstorms for the weekend and the pilot
                        decided for some maintenance sessions. Maybe I should use the time to
                        improve my handheld skills on the ground :)

                        All the best
                        Jürgen

                      • panovrx
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 28 3:46 PM
                          I had to do a helicopter-shot panorama of a golf course once -- it
                          was too windy the pilot said to rotate the helicopter on the spot. So
                          we ended up with him trying to turn the helicopter thru the maximum
                          arc he felt he could do safely-- as I leaned out of the door
                          photographing to the front and back as much as I could. Then we
                          landed directly below and came up again with the helicopter 180
                          degrees from where it was before and repeated the process.
                          Less than 180 panoramas like this one I did that day from much higher
                          are a lot simpler of course
                          http://www.mediavr.com/hervey.jpg

                          Peter
                          http://www.mediavr.com/blog

                          wrote:

                          > Thanks, Eric.
                          > 8 shaped figures seem a good idea.
                          >
                          > Of course I'd rather wish I could do it with as less shots as
                          > possible. But for now that's all I've got :)
                          >
                          > Since I won't have to pay for the flight and the pilot is very
                          > interested in that kind of photography we might just try to get the
                          > best out of it.
                          >
                          > @ Romuald
                          > That pano is by means revolting *g*
                          >
                          > @ Hoyle
                          > I agree. That vertigo stuff deserves to get deeper into.
                          > Right the next day I went to a churchtower nearby which get's a
                          > complete new paint. But that sissy painter even won`t let me get up
                          > the scaffolding. No way. Talking about insurance, safety shoes and
                          all
                          > that ... DOH! Russia sometimes seems really liberate, hehe.
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On Friday, July 28, 2006 at 12:17, Juergen Schrader wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but
                          some
                          > > > helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.
                          > > >
                          > > > I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too
                          > narrow
                          > > > FOV from an ultralight plane.
                          > >
                          > > Ed Fink used a helicopter, which is able to "stand in the air" An
                          > > ultralight will have to move, hence you get parallax problems,
                          > > especially if there are high buildings, trees etc. below.
                          > >
                          > > I would look for a landmark below and exactly above that landmark
                          > > shoot straight down with maximum field of view. Perhaps you need
                          > > monopod and cable release to hold the camera below the plane.
                          Then
                          > > instruct the pilot to fly 8-shaped figures above the landmark,
                          each
                          > 8
                          > > a bit rotated relative to the other. Any time you pass the
                          landmark
                          > > shoot a part of the horizon. Shoot more than needed - the more
                          you
                          > > have the less likely you missed a part. This way you'll minimize
                          > > parallax errors. Shoot the sky above of course.
                          > >
                          > > When Stitching the horizontal shots mask away as much as possible
                          > > from the near ground parts in order to minimize possible parallax
                          > > errors.
                          > >
                          > > Have fun! (And show the results)
                          > >
                          > > best regards
                          > > --
                          > > Erik Krause
                          > > Resources, not only for panorama creation:
                          > > http://www.erik-krause.de/

                        • Yiorgos Teo
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 30 5:03 AM
                            Aerial panos on a shoestring budget:
                            Canon 350D+Peleng+Cheap rotating bracket+Kite+Wind

                            http://www.hellas.net/index.php?category=9500

                            very fuel efficient :)

                            Yiorgos

                            wrote:

                            > Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but some
                            > helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.
                            >
                            > I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too
                            narrow
                            > FOV from an ultralight plane.
                            >
                            > To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ...
                            upcomings
                            > :)
                            >
                            > Thanksalot and
                            > All the best
                            >
                            > Jürgen

                          • Scott Rowed
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 30 8:29 AM
                              Yiorgos,

                              Beautiful panos of Greece - the kite images are especially
                              outstanding. I spent a month in Greece a few years ago and loved it
                              there. Your images make me want to return.

                              Thanks for sharing.
                              Scott

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Yiorgos Teo" <bravojeffe@...> wrote:

                              > Aerial panos on a shoestring budget:
                              > Canon 350D+Peleng+Cheap rotating bracket+Kite+Wind
                              >
                              > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?category=9500
                              >
                              > very fuel efficient :)
                              >
                              > Yiorgos

                            • Juergen Schrader
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 30 8:45 AM
                                Thank you, Yiorgos.

                                I already know your excellent pages very well and I also did some
                                research in KAP forum. Of course KAP has some advantages over other
                                forms of AP and vice versa. And I am pretty sure that one of these
                                days I`ll get my hands on a Rokkaku and a decent rig :)

                                Cheers
                                Jürgen

                                wrote:

                                > Aerial panos on a shoestring budget:
                                > Canon 350D+Peleng+Cheap rotating bracket+Kite+Wind
                                >
                                > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?category=9500
                                >
                                > very fuel efficient :)
                                >
                                > Yiorgos
                                >

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but some
                                > > helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.
                                > >
                                > > I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too
                                > narrow
                                > > FOV from an ultralight plane.
                                > >
                                > > To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ...
                                > upcomings
                                > > :)
                                > >
                                > > Thanksalot and
                                > > All the best
                                > >
                                > > Jürgen

                              • RomualdV
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 30 9:10 AM
                                  Very good Yiogos.
                                  With such definition, the zoom range is somehow frustrating.
                                  Could you elaborate more about the "cheap rotating bracket " ? !

                                  Romuald

                                  Le 30 juil. 06 à 16:03, Yiorgos Teo a écrit :

                                  > Aerial panos on a shoestring budget:
                                  > Canon 350D+Peleng+Cheap rotating bracket+Kite+Wind
                                  >
                                  > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?category=9500
                                  >
                                  > very fuel efficient :)
                                  >
                                  > Yiorgos
                                  >

                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Well, I am not hoping for some Ed-Fink-in-a-day stuff *g* but some
                                  >> helpful hints for a first attempt would be highly appreciated.
                                  >>
                                  >> I'll be using a 10.5 on a 30D and hopefully will have a not too
                                  > narrow
                                  >> FOV from an ultralight plane.
                                  >>
                                  >> To be prepared I'll also have a huge bag for all ... hm ...
                                  > upcomings
                                  >> :)
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanksalot and
                                  >> All the best
                                  >>
                                  >> Jürgen

                                • Luca Vascon
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 30 10:56 AM
                                    Dear mine...
                                    Is that a Rokkaku?
                                    A Cody?

                                    I'm a fool that uses quad lines traction kites, no good for lifting a camera, but perfect to brake legs and arms...
                                    :-D