Re: detectvr.js & Vista

  • gerdsy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2007

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hola Gerardo,
      > >
      > > The Javascript code works fine. You can test this page in your
      > windows
      > > Vista with IE7: http://www.devalvr.com/paginas/soporte/detectvr/
      > >
      > > The problem is that IE on Windows Vista always shows a notice
      > (yellow
      > > bar) the first time that browser tries to open any new ActiveX.
      > > QuickTime activeX plugin is correctly detected, but browser doesn't
      > > show it until you click on this yellow bar and allow QT ActiveX.
      > >
      > > Can you see this yellow bar in your IE7? Do you have the default
      > > security settings in your IE7? or maybe you configured the security
      > > settings to avoid this notice and never to show ActiveX plugins?
      > >
      > > regards
      > > fiero

      This is the problem with plugin detection in IE 7 for QuickTime and
      Java (especially Java). There is no practical way to do plugin
      detection and also avoid the yellow bar. How many people are going to
      click on that yellow bar? Can we count on people doing that? Alot of
      folks not too familiar with all this stuff will not know what to do.

      I think it is now nearly impossible to detect Java in IE 7 without
      activating the yellow bar (using a simple Javascript). People have
      been asking for some time now to have a practical way to do plugin
      detection for IE, but never a true solution from SUN (compare this to
      Flash detection in IE, which is done right).

      The only real methods that still remain for Java/QuickTime (while
      avoiding a security popup) are

      1) Embed a small dummy applet on the page, query the applet to get the
      plugin version.

      2) Set codebase="#version=6,0,0,0" for example. If plugin version is <
      6, then IE will display the altHtml instead of the plugin. Note I left
      out the URL in the codebase, which will prevent the autoinstall popup.

      I don't know of any other technique for Java/QuickTime detection in IE
      7+ anymore that will not activate the popup.

      What a mess.

      Eric