RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Poor borders?

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 28 , May 4, 2007
      On 4 May 2007 at 8:02, Mark D. Fink wrote:

      > Hi Bjørn,
      >
      > >I can of course see that the images shot with Sigma/Nikon lenses have
      > goog qualities, but
      > >the main difference is IMHO in the lack of noise. I was actually quite
      > surprised that the
      > >N10.5, which have been praised a lot here, showed such an amount of
      > soft corners/borders
      > >and CA.
      >
      > I just had a thought. Maybe the softness you are seeing in the Nikon is
      > because sharpening was turned off in the camera. In DSLR's, this is
      > usually a highly configurable option. I don't know if digicams have this
      > control or not, but if yours is set to sharpen the images in the camera,
      > then the Nikon will look softer - initially. Once you apply sharpening
      > in PhotoShop, (preferably at the end of the image workflow cycle), then
      > you'll really appreciate what this lens can do.
      >
      > On my Canon 10D (bordering on ancient...), I shoot with sharpening
      > completely off, so the images look quite soft coming out of the camera.
      > A little unsharp masking in PhotoShop, and WOW, what a difference.

      I usually shoot with sharpness at 0 (it goes from -5 to 5), but lowering it will give me
      a little less noise/grain, as well as softer images. Maybe I should do some more tests on
      those settings?
      But no matter how I set the sharpness it doesn't affect only the borders/corners/edges,
      like on those 5D/10.5 shots. Some of the shots I saw were RAW files though.

      I guess that one shouldn't expect ultra sharp corners/borders on a lens that obviously
      wasn't designed to be used on a FF, because you need to shave it first to get the full
      frame covered?

      --
      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D