Re: Comments on Pentax K10D + Pentax DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED Lens

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Neil Miller <webguy@...> wrote:

      > Hi All, looking around for a new setup.
      >
      > Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it
      sounded ok plus teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5
      ED [IF] lens for shooting full and partial panoramas.

      > Don't suppose anyone has that body or lens and if so, what are your
      thoughts on them.

      > Cheers
      >
      > Neil

      Hi Neil, with exact combo you can see here some panos,
      http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/2852/
      also, you might study other Lennart's posts there

      Dorin
    • udedomenico
      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2007
        Thanks Milko for you input,

        Yeah I did that as per pic you have posted but I think Jim is right
        unfortunately.

        yes the FOV it is < 180 but with the new sigma I do not think we can
        get to 180.

        See what happens when you crop (on the right my pic taken with the
        new sigma and on the left your pic taken I think with the old sigma):

        http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG

        In the new lens there is always some black area left which has to be
        included in the crop.

        I also tried reducing the circle therefore trimming away the black
        area but I do not see much improvement (inevitably the FOV go down a
        lot and I guess you do miss something in the stitching which, by
        coincidence, it is still the nadir and zenith...)

        As I said I think the pic you posted is made with the old sigma
        (it's an agnos pic is it not?)

        I have posted pics I used and the ptgui template anybody wants to
        test it at:

        http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Pics/

        the only option I see is to tilt the camera 5 degrees... unless
        someone comes out with something else (other than buying a full
        frame, that's not an option! :) )
      • Alexandre Duret-Lutz
        Message 3 of 19 , May 3, 2007
          On 5/3/07, Neil Miller <webguy@...> wrote:
          > Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it sounded ok plus
          > teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF] lens for shooting
          > full and partial panoramas.

          All the panoramas I've posted on Flickr since April the 10th were
          taken with this body and lens.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadl/
          Earlier panoramas were shot with the K10D's 18-55 kit lens.
          This is my first fisheye and DSLR, so I can't make any comparison with
          other gear.

          One thing you should know about the K10D is that when shooting in
          manual mode its autobracketing feature will change both aperture and
          speed: you can't tell it to lock one of the two. This can be an issue
          if you plan to shoot HDR panoramas. Some discussion about this here:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/behr/408494768/#comment72157594566794345
          (Flickr user view behrmi, who shot the panorama of this last link is
          also using this lens.)
          This autobracking issue is the only point I would hold against the K10D.
          --
          Alexandre Duret-Lutz
        • Francesco Francalli
          Message 4 of 19 , May 3, 2007
            From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:

            http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG

            it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you obtained just a 30
            degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).

            You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the diagonal of the image
            (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can easily see on the test
            shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).

            Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.

            I hope it helps.

            Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
            f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

            Francesco
            www.around.it
          • Peter Nyfeler
            Message 5 of 19 , May 3, 2007
              Francesco Francalli schrieb:
              > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
              > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

              Ciao Francesco

              I've made photo out from my balcony uploaded it as it was directly from
              the camera.

              D200 Sigma 8mm f3.5

              http://www.davos360.ch/DSC_5094.JPG

              HTH

              best regards

              Peter
            • ptgroup
              Message 6 of 19 , May 3, 2007
                Oh - the circle is much more cropped as on my D80 !
                I got a nearly uncropped circle on the D80 at top & bottom.
                I guess the factor of the D80/D200 aren´t th same then.
                Some 1/10th differnet ??
                Ciao
                Mike
                > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
                > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                Ciao Francesco

                I've made photo out from my balcony uploaded it as it was directly from
                the camera.

                D200 Sigma 8mm f3.5

                http://www.davos360.ch/DSC_5094.JPG

                HTH

                best regards

                Peter

              • Mr. Peter A Crowley
                Message 7 of 19 , May 3, 2007
                  Francesco,
                  I don't have a place to load it, so I added it to the files section
                  of this group. I added one JPEG taken with Nikon D200 with the Sigma
                  8mm f/3.5 G fisheye. Yes, I have some cropping in my script, but the
                  coverage is worth it, I think. I've found it does very well with 4
                  shots @ 90 degrees, covers the zenith and includes the tripod head.
                  This means (for me at least) that the nadir hole is smaller than the
                  head of my tripod when using a Nodal Ninja 3. I haven't taken a
                  nadir shot on the two panos I've made so far (I've only had the
                  equipment a week and I'm still expiramenting) and my cap covers the
                  hole and tripod.
                  -Peter

                  On May 3, 2007, at 6:08 AM, Francesco Francalli wrote:

                  > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                  >
                  > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                  >
                  > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                  > obtained just a 30
                  > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                  >
                  > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the
                  > diagonal of the image
                  > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                  > easily see on the test
                  > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                  >
                  > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                  >
                  > I hope it helps.
                  >
                  > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested
                  > the new Sigma 8mm
                  > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping
                  > also on 1.5x sensors.
                  >
                  > Francesco
                  > www.around.it

                • udedomenico
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3, 2007
                    I see your point!

                    I shall check that...

                    Thanks

                    I.

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco Francalli"
                    <francesco.francalli@...> wrote:

                    > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                    >
                    > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                    >
                    > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                    obtained just a 30
                    > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                    >
                    > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the
                    diagonal of the image
                    > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                    easily see on the test
                    > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                    >
                    > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                    >
                    > I hope it helps.
                    >
                    > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested
                    the new Sigma 8mm
                    > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some
                    cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                    > Francesco
                    > www.around.it

                  • Luca Vascon
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3, 2007
                      And now with the rings is also lighter and easier!!!
                      :-D
                      You can use Agnos and also bophoto ring this way.

                      Francesco Francalli ha scritto:

                      > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                      >
                      > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                      > <http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG>
                      >
                      > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                      > obtained just a 30
                      > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                      >
                      > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the diagonal
                      > of the image
                      > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                      > easily see on the test
                      > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                      >
                      > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                      >
                      > I hope it helps.
                      >
                      > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the
                      > new Sigma 8mm
                      > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping
                      > also on 1.5x sensors.
                      >
                      > Francesco
                      > www.around.it

                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 4, 2007
                        ptgroup wrote:
                        > Oh - the circle is much more cropped as on my D80 !
                        > I got a nearly uncropped circle on the D80 at top & bottom.
                        > I guess the factor of the D80/D200 aren´t th same then.

                        They have the same size sensor 23.6 x 15.8 mm.

                        > Some 1/10th differnet ??
                        > Ciao
                        > Mike

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • Francesco Francalli
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 4, 2007
                          Ciao Peter, thank you very much!

                          I see the crop is just on the edge but I'm sure it's not a problem for stitching 3 or 4 shots
                          complete panos.

                          Great camera/lens combinantion and almost no vignetting from what I see.

                          HFWYNT :-)

                          Francesco
                        • udedomenico
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 9, 2007
                            Hello,

                            Just a quick update for those who are interested.

                            Francesco was right in saying I was not rolling the camera in the
                            right direction.

                            And it is true that if you roll exactly 60 degrees you manage to get
                            rid of the 2 holes you would inevitably get with the new sigma 8/3.5.

                            See the quick test I made yesterday night:
                            http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/TestSigma3_5_60DegreesRolled.j
                            pg

                            Of course it remains to appreciate if the use of 4 shots instead of
                            5 does not degrade the quality of the pic.

                            but that's another story....