Comments on Pentax K10D + Pentax DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED Lens

  • Neil Miller
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2 10:06 PM
      Hi All, looking around for a new setup.

      Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it sounded ok plus teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF] lens for shooting full and partial panoramas.

      Don't suppose anyone has that body or lens and if so, what are your thoughts on them.

      Cheers

      Neil
    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2 11:58 PM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Neil Miller <webguy@...> wrote:

        > Hi All, looking around for a new setup.
        >
        > Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it
        sounded ok plus teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5
        ED [IF] lens for shooting full and partial panoramas.

        > Don't suppose anyone has that body or lens and if so, what are your
        thoughts on them.

        > Cheers
        >
        > Neil

        Hi Neil, with exact combo you can see here some panos,
        http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/2852/
        also, you might study other Lennart's posts there

        Dorin
      • udedomenico
        Message 3 of 19 , May 3 2:42 AM
          Thanks Milko for you input,

          Yeah I did that as per pic you have posted but I think Jim is right
          unfortunately.

          yes the FOV it is < 180 but with the new sigma I do not think we can
          get to 180.

          See what happens when you crop (on the right my pic taken with the
          new sigma and on the left your pic taken I think with the old sigma):

          http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG

          In the new lens there is always some black area left which has to be
          included in the crop.

          I also tried reducing the circle therefore trimming away the black
          area but I do not see much improvement (inevitably the FOV go down a
          lot and I guess you do miss something in the stitching which, by
          coincidence, it is still the nadir and zenith...)

          As I said I think the pic you posted is made with the old sigma
          (it's an agnos pic is it not?)

          I have posted pics I used and the ptgui template anybody wants to
          test it at:

          http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Pics/

          the only option I see is to tilt the camera 5 degrees... unless
          someone comes out with something else (other than buying a full
          frame, that's not an option! :) )
        • Alexandre Duret-Lutz
          Message 4 of 19 , May 3 3:59 AM
            On 5/3/07, Neil Miller <webguy@...> wrote:
            > Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it sounded ok plus
            > teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF] lens for shooting
            > full and partial panoramas.

            All the panoramas I've posted on Flickr since April the 10th were
            taken with this body and lens.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadl/
            Earlier panoramas were shot with the K10D's 18-55 kit lens.
            This is my first fisheye and DSLR, so I can't make any comparison with
            other gear.

            One thing you should know about the K10D is that when shooting in
            manual mode its autobracketing feature will change both aperture and
            speed: you can't tell it to lock one of the two. This can be an issue
            if you plan to shoot HDR panoramas. Some discussion about this here:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/behr/408494768/#comment72157594566794345
            (Flickr user view behrmi, who shot the panorama of this last link is
            also using this lens.)
            This autobracking issue is the only point I would hold against the K10D.
            --
            Alexandre Duret-Lutz
          • Francesco Francalli
            Message 5 of 19 , May 3 4:08 AM
              From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:

              http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG

              it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you obtained just a 30
              degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).

              You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the diagonal of the image
              (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can easily see on the test
              shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).

              Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.

              I hope it helps.

              Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
              f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

              Francesco
              www.around.it
            • Peter Nyfeler
              Message 6 of 19 , May 3 8:05 AM
                Francesco Francalli schrieb:
                > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
                > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                Ciao Francesco

                I've made photo out from my balcony uploaded it as it was directly from
                the camera.

                D200 Sigma 8mm f3.5

                http://www.davos360.ch/DSC_5094.JPG

                HTH

                best regards

                Peter
              • ptgroup
                Message 7 of 19 , May 3 8:21 AM
                  Oh - the circle is much more cropped as on my D80 !
                  I got a nearly uncropped circle on the D80 at top & bottom.
                  I guess the factor of the D80/D200 aren´t th same then.
                  Some 1/10th differnet ??
                  Ciao
                  Mike
                  > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
                  > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                  Ciao Francesco

                  I've made photo out from my balcony uploaded it as it was directly from
                  the camera.

                  D200 Sigma 8mm f3.5

                  http://www.davos360.ch/DSC_5094.JPG

                  HTH

                  best regards

                  Peter

                • Mr. Peter A Crowley
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3 8:36 AM
                    Francesco,
                    I don't have a place to load it, so I added it to the files section
                    of this group. I added one JPEG taken with Nikon D200 with the Sigma
                    8mm f/3.5 G fisheye. Yes, I have some cropping in my script, but the
                    coverage is worth it, I think. I've found it does very well with 4
                    shots @ 90 degrees, covers the zenith and includes the tripod head.
                    This means (for me at least) that the nadir hole is smaller than the
                    head of my tripod when using a Nodal Ninja 3. I haven't taken a
                    nadir shot on the two panos I've made so far (I've only had the
                    equipment a week and I'm still expiramenting) and my cap covers the
                    hole and tripod.
                    -Peter

                    On May 3, 2007, at 6:08 AM, Francesco Francalli wrote:

                    > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                    >
                    > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                    >
                    > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                    > obtained just a 30
                    > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                    >
                    > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the
                    > diagonal of the image
                    > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                    > easily see on the test
                    > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                    >
                    > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                    >
                    > I hope it helps.
                    >
                    > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested
                    > the new Sigma 8mm
                    > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping
                    > also on 1.5x sensors.
                    >
                    > Francesco
                    > www.around.it

                  • udedomenico
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3 8:48 AM
                      I see your point!

                      I shall check that...

                      Thanks

                      I.

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco Francalli"
                      <francesco.francalli@...> wrote:

                      > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                      >
                      > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                      >
                      > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                      obtained just a 30
                      > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                      >
                      > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the
                      diagonal of the image
                      > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                      easily see on the test
                      > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                      >
                      > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                      >
                      > I hope it helps.
                      >
                      > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested
                      the new Sigma 8mm
                      > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some
                      cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                      > Francesco
                      > www.around.it

                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3 2:00 PM
                        And now with the rings is also lighter and easier!!!
                        :-D
                        You can use Agnos and also bophoto ring this way.

                        Francesco Francalli ha scritto:

                        > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                        >
                        > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                        > <http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG>
                        >
                        > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                        > obtained just a 30
                        > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                        >
                        > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the diagonal
                        > of the image
                        > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                        > easily see on the test
                        > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                        >
                        > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                        >
                        > I hope it helps.
                        >
                        > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the
                        > new Sigma 8mm
                        > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping
                        > also on 1.5x sensors.
                        >
                        > Francesco
                        > www.around.it

                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 4 12:05 AM
                          ptgroup wrote:
                          > Oh - the circle is much more cropped as on my D80 !
                          > I got a nearly uncropped circle on the D80 at top & bottom.
                          > I guess the factor of the D80/D200 aren´t th same then.

                          They have the same size sensor 23.6 x 15.8 mm.

                          > Some 1/10th differnet ??
                          > Ciao
                          > Mike

                          Pat Swovelin
                          Cool Guy @ Large
                        • Francesco Francalli
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 4 6:48 AM
                            Ciao Peter, thank you very much!

                            I see the crop is just on the edge but I'm sure it's not a problem for stitching 3 or 4 shots
                            complete panos.

                            Great camera/lens combinantion and almost no vignetting from what I see.

                            HFWYNT :-)

                            Francesco
                          • udedomenico
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 9 2:44 AM
                              Hello,

                              Just a quick update for those who are interested.

                              Francesco was right in saying I was not rolling the camera in the
                              right direction.

                              And it is true that if you roll exactly 60 degrees you manage to get
                              rid of the 2 holes you would inevitably get with the new sigma 8/3.5.

                              See the quick test I made yesterday night:
                              http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/TestSigma3_5_60DegreesRolled.j
                              pg

                              Of course it remains to appreciate if the use of 4 shots instead of
                              5 does not degrade the quality of the pic.

                              but that's another story....