Re: [PanoToolsNG] 360 degree pan question

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      This is the tutorial you need to read.
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Fixing_nadir_parallax_errors

      The more pictures you shoot the less trouble the parallax error will be.
      Best of luck.

      Jim

      --
      Jim Watters

      Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      http://photocreations.ca
    • - AYRTON - (avi)
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Sacha I've seen one did exactly this way ... and is very very nice.
        It was shot from a very tall building in Chicago :
        The JOHN HANCOCK CENTER , the panographer is: GARY SIGMAN
        working for: Contagious Interactive Inc.
        I think it was used by Apple to promote QTVR and it came in the CD
        with the book:
        "The QuickTime VR Book" by Susan A. Kitchens

        It is a beautifull one.
        I have to find the CD here.

        AYRTON

        On 02/05/2007, at 23:38, Sacha Griffin wrote:

        > That's not going to be feasible for an acceptable level of quality.
        >
        > There's a reason most people use a panoramic head.
        >
        > Accepting hundreds of feet of parallax error aren't going to get you
        > anywhere.
        >
        > You could maybe make an outside 360 object instead.
        >

        > Sacha Griffin
        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        > www.southern-digital.com
        > www.seeit360.net
        > www.ezphotosafe.com
        > 404-551-4275
        > 404-731-7798
        >
        > _____

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Well a 100 floors up the parallax would be a whole lot less that what you'll
          get at 20 floors.

          Perhaps its just my opinion that at 20 floors you'll not be able to do the
          same panorama.

        • Juergen Schrader
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Yes thats the way to do it, Ken. I already did several of these from
            different kind of buildings. It all depends on the diameter of your
            building and the distance to the closest other objects/buildings.

            And of course the desired resolution. Since it is much easier to
            stitch an acceptable result for a web pano then fo a hires print.

            And as Ian said, the more pictures you shoot the better.

            Good luck.
            J├╝rgen

          • panokaemena@mac.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2007
              It is possible. But it requires some corrections afterwards. here a
              pano which I did with about 30m off center. I took 8 shots around

              http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Nasserieh/NassSite200m24012007

              Willy

              On May 3, 2007, at 3:15, Ken Brookner wrote:

              > i have a project where i'll be doing a 360 degree panorama from a
              > building.
              > there's a workman's maintenance ledge that runs around the
              > building, up 20
              > floors, that has a pretty nice view.
              >
              > i'll be shooting with my back to the building from all 4 sides
              > (building is
              > square). i can move anywhere around the circumference of the building.
              >
              > i'm not sure of the technique to use to stitch all of this
              > together, or even
              > exactly how to shoot it. my guess is that to shoot it i could use a
              > wide
              > lens and then do something like shoot straight out from the corners
              > and half
              > way between the corners, assuming that the lens is wide enough to
              > overlap
              > the frames. i'll use a combination of photoshop, ptgui, and maybe
              > autopano-pro to put it all together.
              >
              > i do a lot of landscape panoramas, but this is blazing new
              > territory for me.
              > any and all suggestions are appreciated on how i might pull this off.
              >
              > thanks
              > kenb

            • Pajuaba Gmail
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                This one:<http://www.pajuaba.com.br/panoramica_curitiba.html> was made
                from this
                tower:<http://www.curitiba.pr.gov.br/pmc/curitiba/index.asp?noframe=sim&conteudo=roteiros/mirante/index.html>
                , which is 109 meters high. The platform is about 20 meters of diameter,
                so the paralax was very noticeable. I had to make 8 sequences because
                the openable windows were not at even intervals, and I only noticed it
                when I had done the 4th one, so I had to reshoot from the other ones
                just to make sure.
                Regards,
                Rodolpho Pajuaba

                Sacha Griffin escreveu:
                > Well a 100 floors up the parallax would be a whole lot less that what you'll
                > get at 20 floors.
                >
                > Perhaps its just my opinion that at 20 floors you'll not be able to do the
                > same panorama.
                >

                > Sacha Griffin
              • brookk2002
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                  thanks to everyone responding and for the various links to tutorials
                  and samples. sounds like this will be an interesting
                  project! i think i have some work to do! :)

                  best,
                  kenb