360 degree pan question

  • Ken Brookner
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      i have a project where i'll be doing a 360 degree panorama from a building.
      there's a workman's maintenance ledge that runs around the building, up 20
      floors, that has a pretty nice view.

      i'll be shooting with my back to the building from all 4 sides (building is
      square). i can move anywhere around the circumference of the building.

      i'm not sure of the technique to use to stitch all of this together, or even
      exactly how to shoot it. my guess is that to shoot it i could use a wide
      lens and then do something like shoot straight out from the corners and half
      way between the corners, assuming that the lens is wide enough to overlap
      the frames. i'll use a combination of photoshop, ptgui, and maybe
      autopano-pro to put it all together.

      i do a lot of landscape panoramas, but this is blazing new territory for me.
      any and all suggestions are appreciated on how i might pull this off.

      thanks
      kenb
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        That's not going to be feasible for an acceptable level of quality.

        There's a reason most people use a panoramic head.

        Accepting hundreds of feet of parallax error aren't going to get you
        anywhere.

        You could maybe make an outside 360 object instead.

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          This is the tutorial you need to read.
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Fixing_nadir_parallax_errors

          The more pictures you shoot the less trouble the parallax error will be.
          Best of luck.

          Jim

          --
          Jim Watters

          Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
          jwatters @ photocreations . ca
          http://photocreations.ca
        • - AYRTON - (avi)
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Sacha I've seen one did exactly this way ... and is very very nice.
            It was shot from a very tall building in Chicago :
            The JOHN HANCOCK CENTER , the panographer is: GARY SIGMAN
            working for: Contagious Interactive Inc.
            I think it was used by Apple to promote QTVR and it came in the CD
            with the book:
            "The QuickTime VR Book" by Susan A. Kitchens

            It is a beautifull one.
            I have to find the CD here.

            AYRTON

            On 02/05/2007, at 23:38, Sacha Griffin wrote:

            > That's not going to be feasible for an acceptable level of quality.
            >
            > There's a reason most people use a panoramic head.
            >
            > Accepting hundreds of feet of parallax error aren't going to get you
            > anywhere.
            >
            > You could maybe make an outside 360 object instead.
            >

            > Sacha Griffin
            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            > www.southern-digital.com
            > www.seeit360.net
            > www.ezphotosafe.com
            > 404-551-4275
            > 404-731-7798
            >
            > _____

          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              Well a 100 floors up the parallax would be a whole lot less that what you'll
              get at 20 floors.

              Perhaps its just my opinion that at 20 floors you'll not be able to do the
              same panorama.

            • Juergen Schrader
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                Yes thats the way to do it, Ken. I already did several of these from
                different kind of buildings. It all depends on the diameter of your
                building and the distance to the closest other objects/buildings.

                And of course the desired resolution. Since it is much easier to
                stitch an acceptable result for a web pano then fo a hires print.

                And as Ian said, the more pictures you shoot the better.

                Good luck.
                J├╝rgen

              • panokaemena@mac.com
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                  It is possible. But it requires some corrections afterwards. here a
                  pano which I did with about 30m off center. I took 8 shots around

                  http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Nasserieh/NassSite200m24012007

                  Willy

                  On May 3, 2007, at 3:15, Ken Brookner wrote:

                  > i have a project where i'll be doing a 360 degree panorama from a
                  > building.
                  > there's a workman's maintenance ledge that runs around the
                  > building, up 20
                  > floors, that has a pretty nice view.
                  >
                  > i'll be shooting with my back to the building from all 4 sides
                  > (building is
                  > square). i can move anywhere around the circumference of the building.
                  >
                  > i'm not sure of the technique to use to stitch all of this
                  > together, or even
                  > exactly how to shoot it. my guess is that to shoot it i could use a
                  > wide
                  > lens and then do something like shoot straight out from the corners
                  > and half
                  > way between the corners, assuming that the lens is wide enough to
                  > overlap
                  > the frames. i'll use a combination of photoshop, ptgui, and maybe
                  > autopano-pro to put it all together.
                  >
                  > i do a lot of landscape panoramas, but this is blazing new
                  > territory for me.
                  > any and all suggestions are appreciated on how i might pull this off.
                  >
                  > thanks
                  > kenb

                • Pajuaba Gmail
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                    This one:<http://www.pajuaba.com.br/panoramica_curitiba.html> was made
                    from this
                    tower:<http://www.curitiba.pr.gov.br/pmc/curitiba/index.asp?noframe=sim&conteudo=roteiros/mirante/index.html>
                    , which is 109 meters high. The platform is about 20 meters of diameter,
                    so the paralax was very noticeable. I had to make 8 sequences because
                    the openable windows were not at even intervals, and I only noticed it
                    when I had done the 4th one, so I had to reshoot from the other ones
                    just to make sure.
                    Regards,
                    Rodolpho Pajuaba

                    Sacha Griffin escreveu:
                    > Well a 100 floors up the parallax would be a whole lot less that what you'll
                    > get at 20 floors.
                    >
                    > Perhaps its just my opinion that at 20 floors you'll not be able to do the
                    > same panorama.
                    >

                    > Sacha Griffin
                  • brookk2002
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                      thanks to everyone responding and for the various links to tutorials
                      and samples. sounds like this will be an interesting
                      project! i think i have some work to do! :)

                      best,
                      kenb