Re: [PanoToolsNG] Photoshop CS3 extended. worth the $$

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007
      On 2 May 2007 at 14:54, Alan Sharp wrote:

      > I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade to CS3-my beta copy just timed out- and am
      > wondering if there is any advantage to getting the "extended" version for working with
      > Panoramas?
      > currently I use CS2 with PTgui and Cubic Converter to work with images shot with a D200
      > and a 10.5mm Nikon "fisheye"
      >
      > Everything works smoothly but I'd like to take advantage of CS3's blending power for people
      > shots.

      AFAIK autoblend is also in the normal version?
      As opposed to the image stack function that allows you to magically remove all people
      from a crowded scene, given that you have enough shots to cover the entire "background"?
      I guess the major reason for going extended might be to be able to easily add 3D to
      panos? As I already have Lightwave I can't really see the need to shell out the extra
      $400 or whatever it costs (we usually have to pay double the US price anyway..).
      But I do miss CS3 already...
      Adobe know how to get people addicted ;-(--
      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
    • Wayne Heil
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2007
        Bjørn,

        I have Photoshop CS3 extended as part of the Adobe Creative Suite Premium
        CS3. As far as I can tell with the limited time I have had with it the main
        advantages are in working with 3D files and animated/video files. You can
        load 3D objects from Maya, 3D Studio and other programs and directly edit
        the textures in Photoshop. You can also edit in perspective in a much more
        robust manner.

        The suite comes with an excellent flash based video workshop that outlines
        the features of all of the applications. The workshop video has the
        following new feature topics limited to the Photoshop Extended version:

        Editing DICOM files – these seem to be medical images such X-rays

        Editing textures in 3D models – you can rotate the 3D object within
        Photoshop to view texture changes

        Animating layer properties

        Using 3D camera tools

        Using measurement features – basic photogrammetric tools within Photoshop

        Working with video layers

        Working with image sequences

        Cloning content across multiple frames

        Using the 3D tool

        All of the other new features apply to both versions.

        If you would like more detail on any of these let me know.

        Wayne

      • listmail@mab3d.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2007
          On May 2, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Alan Sharp wrote:
          > I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade to CS3-my beta copy just
          > timed out- and am
          > wondering if there is any advantage to getting the "extended"
          > version for working with
          > Panoramas?

          If you ever shoot multiple exposures (make HDR files, etc.), then
          PSCS3 has a *huge* advantage over the basic version - it has *layers
          and masks* in HDR! Very much worth the extra $ for me... here's a bit
          more on "Extended:"

          http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/03/whats_unique_to.html

          > Everything works smoothly but I'd like to take advantage of CS3's
          > blending power for people
          > shots.

          The auto-alignment, blending and "photomerge" functions are all found
          in the basic CS3 version as well, so no worries there. The only
          caveat is that there (currently) is no upgrade path from the "basic"
          PSCS3 to the "Extended" version. You might have to wait until CS4 if
          you later decide you want some of those nifty features...

          -Mark
        • Alan Sharp
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, listmail@... wrote:

            > On May 2, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Alan Sharp wrote:
            > > I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade to CS3-my beta copy just
            > > timed out- and am
            > > wondering if there is any advantage to getting the "extended"
            > > version for working with
            > > Panoramas?
            >
            > If you ever shoot multiple exposures (make HDR files, etc.), then
            > PSCS3 has a *huge* advantage over the basic version - it has *layers
            > and masks* in HDR! Very much worth the extra $ for me... here's a bit
            > more on "Extended:"
            >
            > http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/03/whats_unique_to.html
            >

            > > Everything works smoothly but I'd like to take advantage of CS3's
            > > blending power for people
            > > shots.
            >

            > The auto-alignment, blending and "photomerge" functions are all found
            > in the basic CS3 version as well, so no worries there. The only
            > caveat is that there (currently) is no upgrade path from the "basic"
            > PSCS3 to the "Extended" version. You might have to wait until CS4 if
            > you later decide you want some of those nifty features...
            >
            > -Mark

            Mark, Thanks for the link. great stuff.

            In anticipation of all of you experts developing more and more uses for CS3 Extended's
            capabilities, I spent the extra dollars. Smooth transition. The included version of Bridge
            seems to be much better behaved than the one that came with the CS3 Beta.

            One irksome detail though. Apple is charging $10 more than what appears to be the
            MSRP. The Apple Store Manager was unmoved by my rant ! I know that the folks in
            Europe and elsewhere have higher pricing than here but I thought the premium charged
            sucked.
            At least they had a copy.
            Thanks again,
            Al Sharp