Photoshop CS3 extended. worth the $$

  • Alan Sharp
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007
      I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade to CS3-my beta copy just timed out- and am
      wondering if there is any advantage to getting the "extended" version for working with
      Panoramas?
      currently I use CS2 with PTgui and Cubic Converter to work with images shot with a D200
      and a 10.5mm Nikon "fisheye"

      Everything works smoothly but I'd like to take advantage of CS3's blending power for people
      shots.

      Any thoughts/ideas?
      Thanks,
      Al Sharp
      Lone Tree, Colorado, USA
    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2007
        On 2 May 2007 at 14:54, Alan Sharp wrote:

        > I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade to CS3-my beta copy just timed out- and am
        > wondering if there is any advantage to getting the "extended" version for working with
        > Panoramas?
        > currently I use CS2 with PTgui and Cubic Converter to work with images shot with a D200
        > and a 10.5mm Nikon "fisheye"
        >
        > Everything works smoothly but I'd like to take advantage of CS3's blending power for people
        > shots.

        AFAIK autoblend is also in the normal version?
        As opposed to the image stack function that allows you to magically remove all people
        from a crowded scene, given that you have enough shots to cover the entire "background"?
        I guess the major reason for going extended might be to be able to easily add 3D to
        panos? As I already have Lightwave I can't really see the need to shell out the extra
        $400 or whatever it costs (we usually have to pay double the US price anyway..).
        But I do miss CS3 already...
        Adobe know how to get people addicted ;-(--
        Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
      • Wayne Heil
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2007
          Bjørn,

          I have Photoshop CS3 extended as part of the Adobe Creative Suite Premium
          CS3. As far as I can tell with the limited time I have had with it the main
          advantages are in working with 3D files and animated/video files. You can
          load 3D objects from Maya, 3D Studio and other programs and directly edit
          the textures in Photoshop. You can also edit in perspective in a much more
          robust manner.

          The suite comes with an excellent flash based video workshop that outlines
          the features of all of the applications. The workshop video has the
          following new feature topics limited to the Photoshop Extended version:

          Editing DICOM files – these seem to be medical images such X-rays

          Editing textures in 3D models – you can rotate the 3D object within
          Photoshop to view texture changes

          Animating layer properties

          Using 3D camera tools

          Using measurement features – basic photogrammetric tools within Photoshop

          Working with video layers

          Working with image sequences

          Cloning content across multiple frames

          Using the 3D tool

          All of the other new features apply to both versions.

          If you would like more detail on any of these let me know.

          Wayne

        • listmail@mab3d.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2007
            On May 2, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Alan Sharp wrote:
            > I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade to CS3-my beta copy just
            > timed out- and am
            > wondering if there is any advantage to getting the "extended"
            > version for working with
            > Panoramas?

            If you ever shoot multiple exposures (make HDR files, etc.), then
            PSCS3 has a *huge* advantage over the basic version - it has *layers
            and masks* in HDR! Very much worth the extra $ for me... here's a bit
            more on "Extended:"

            http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/03/whats_unique_to.html

            > Everything works smoothly but I'd like to take advantage of CS3's
            > blending power for people
            > shots.

            The auto-alignment, blending and "photomerge" functions are all found
            in the basic CS3 version as well, so no worries there. The only
            caveat is that there (currently) is no upgrade path from the "basic"
            PSCS3 to the "Extended" version. You might have to wait until CS4 if
            you later decide you want some of those nifty features...

            -Mark
          • Alan Sharp
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, listmail@... wrote:

              > On May 2, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Alan Sharp wrote:
              > > I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade to CS3-my beta copy just
              > > timed out- and am
              > > wondering if there is any advantage to getting the "extended"
              > > version for working with
              > > Panoramas?
              >
              > If you ever shoot multiple exposures (make HDR files, etc.), then
              > PSCS3 has a *huge* advantage over the basic version - it has *layers
              > and masks* in HDR! Very much worth the extra $ for me... here's a bit
              > more on "Extended:"
              >
              > http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/03/whats_unique_to.html
              >

              > > Everything works smoothly but I'd like to take advantage of CS3's
              > > blending power for people
              > > shots.
              >

              > The auto-alignment, blending and "photomerge" functions are all found
              > in the basic CS3 version as well, so no worries there. The only
              > caveat is that there (currently) is no upgrade path from the "basic"
              > PSCS3 to the "Extended" version. You might have to wait until CS4 if
              > you later decide you want some of those nifty features...
              >
              > -Mark

              Mark, Thanks for the link. great stuff.

              In anticipation of all of you experts developing more and more uses for CS3 Extended's
              capabilities, I spent the extra dollars. Smooth transition. The included version of Bridge
              seems to be much better behaved than the one that came with the CS3 Beta.

              One irksome detail though. Apple is charging $10 more than what appears to be the
              MSRP. The Apple Store Manager was unmoved by my rant ! I know that the folks in
              Europe and elsewhere have higher pricing than here but I thought the premium charged
              sucked.
              At least they had a copy.
              Thanks again,
              Al Sharp