Re: [PanoToolsNG] Black\alpha area around a panorama (hugin)

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2007
      I have not used Hugin but it looks like the vertical field of view is
      set to 360 deg when it should only be 180 deg. The horizon is half way
      between the middle where it should be and the bottom. Change to out put
      to 360X180

      Jim

      --
      Jim Watters

      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      http://photocreations.ca
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2007

        > I have not used Hugin but it looks like the vertical field of view
        > is set to 360 deg when it should only be 180 deg.

        No, you can just read the fov in the bottom right hand corner, and it
        says 127x94. The odd thing is that the horizon is in the wrong place
        yet apparently straight. If the output image was repositioned to bring
        the horizon to where it should be, at the centre of the output area, it
        would develop a pronounced curve. I think the likely explanation is
        that the vertical shift parameter "e" has been optimized to a silly
        value. If so, resetting it to 0 and running optimize with e unchecked
        should solve the problem.

        John
      • Marcel Geers
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2007
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
          > >
          > I think the likely explanation is
          > that the vertical shift parameter "e" has been optimized to a silly
          > value. If so, resetting it to 0 and running optimize with e unchecked
          > should solve the problem.
          >
          > John

          I have re-opened one of my projects and adjusted that value as you
          said. There was no change in the preview though. You are correct about
          the image being bend when the cross-hair is placed in the center of
          the image on the horizon. I shoot the panoramas from hand or from a
          normal, simple tripod (so yes, there are some parallax problems).

          Marcel
        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2007
            On Wed 02-May-2007 at 11:13 -0000, Marcel Geers wrote:

            >One of my more recent panoramas is a 30+ (4MP pictures) 2 row panorama
            >and if that isn't enough data already, Hugin puts a very large amount
            >of black area around the image which turns up as transparent in the
            >final tiff.

            >http://www.student.tue.nl/t/m.p.a.geers/large_overhead.png

            You either have the 'pitch' of the anchor image set wrong or you
            have optimised the d & e parameters.

            Try again resetting the pitch of the anchor image to zero.

            --
            Bruno
          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2007
              Marcel, It doesn't seem likely that we shall solve this problem without
              seeing the Hugin project file. If you care to paste a copy of the
              project file into an email to me then I would be happy to investigate.
              The images would not be necessary.

              John