Black\alpha area around a panorama (hugin)

  • Marcel Geers
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2007
      Hi all,

      I've been using "autostitch" in the past for its simplicity. Lately,
      I've been using "Hugin" for my panoramas as it allows for more control
      when something doesn't align so easily. At least, it allows for better
      understandable control!

      One of my more recent panoramas is a 30+ (4MP pictures) 2 row panorama
      and if that isn't enough data already, Hugin puts a very large amount
      of black area around the image which turns up as transparent in the
      final tiff. This can become as much as twice or triple the size of the
      actual panorama, causing a great deal of IMHO unneccesary overhead in
      calculation time (not to mention RAM requirements!).

      Here's an example of what I'm talking about for a smaller panorama. Is
      this a "bug" or am I doing something very wrong? If so, how can I
      improve upon this? I suspect it has something to do with the Field Of
      View.

      http://www.student.tue.nl/t/m.p.a.geers/large_overhead.png

      Thanks in advance,

      Marcel
    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2007
        I have not used Hugin but it looks like the vertical field of view is
        set to 360 deg when it should only be 180 deg. The horizon is half way
        between the middle where it should be and the bottom. Change to out put
        to 360X180

        Jim

        --
        Jim Watters

        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2007

          > I have not used Hugin but it looks like the vertical field of view
          > is set to 360 deg when it should only be 180 deg.

          No, you can just read the fov in the bottom right hand corner, and it
          says 127x94. The odd thing is that the horizon is in the wrong place
          yet apparently straight. If the output image was repositioned to bring
          the horizon to where it should be, at the centre of the output area, it
          would develop a pronounced curve. I think the likely explanation is
          that the vertical shift parameter "e" has been optimized to a silly
          value. If so, resetting it to 0 and running optimize with e unchecked
          should solve the problem.

          John
        • Marcel Geers
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2007
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
            > >
            > I think the likely explanation is
            > that the vertical shift parameter "e" has been optimized to a silly
            > value. If so, resetting it to 0 and running optimize with e unchecked
            > should solve the problem.
            >
            > John

            I have re-opened one of my projects and adjusted that value as you
            said. There was no change in the preview though. You are correct about
            the image being bend when the cross-hair is placed in the center of
            the image on the horizon. I shoot the panoramas from hand or from a
            normal, simple tripod (so yes, there are some parallax problems).

            Marcel
          • Bruno Postle
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2007
              On Wed 02-May-2007 at 11:13 -0000, Marcel Geers wrote:

              >One of my more recent panoramas is a 30+ (4MP pictures) 2 row panorama
              >and if that isn't enough data already, Hugin puts a very large amount
              >of black area around the image which turns up as transparent in the
              >final tiff.

              >http://www.student.tue.nl/t/m.p.a.geers/large_overhead.png

              You either have the 'pitch' of the anchor image set wrong or you
              have optimised the d & e parameters.

              Try again resetting the pitch of the anchor image to zero.

              --
              Bruno
            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2007
                Marcel, It doesn't seem likely that we shall solve this problem without
                seeing the Hugin project file. If you care to paste a copy of the
                project file into an email to me then I would be happy to investigate.
                The images would not be necessary.

                John