Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Sigma 8mm/5D

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 26 , May 2, 2007
      On 2 May 2007, at 08:47, Paul F wrote:

      > Thanks for all the replies
      >
      > My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
      > choice?

      Probably not ideal, but I'm not sure about 'wrong'.

      > Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
      > adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

      Most people just stick a bit of plastic into the lever on the back of
      the lens mount and use it with a fixed aperture. Unlike most Nikon
      dSLRs, Canon dSLRs will meter without a connection to the aperture
      control.
      Michel Thoby worked out a method where you could rotate the lens on a
      converted adapter to alter the aperture, but it requires a fair
      amount of machining skill.

      > I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(
      >
      > With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
      > software will give a lager usable file if needed?

      If the detail isn't there in the first place, upsampling isn't going
      to help at all. All upsampling really does is stop images pixelating
      when viewed close-up.

      > I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
      > and find every one great fun.

      :-) Highly addictive.

      > FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
      > really helps blend the images.
      >
      > One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

      Any PTGui project file can be loaded up as a template, there's no
      need to 'make' one as such. Note that a template is only going to
      give you a starting point, you will still need to generate control
      points and optimise unless using a hyper-accurate head such as the
      360Precision.

      Ian
    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 26 , May 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
        > >
        > > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
        > > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
        > > 4368x2912
        >
        > The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:

        http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5m
        m_
        > canon_5d.zip
        >
        > John

        With those images the size is 6860x3430, so my initial test was wrong.

        I aplolgise.

        Dorin
      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 26 , May 2, 2007
          I standard use it 4 shots, 60degrees of roll and 3 degrees of tilt. On
          Agnos ring.
          No zenit to retouch, my beautyful wooden tripod is complete.
          :-DDDD

          udedomenico ha scritto:

          > Thanks all for your replies,
          >
          > yes I confirm it's a 350D and I must admit I thought i could
          > just "touch the verticals" with the sigma.
          >
          > I did not know the new sigma was "bigger".
          >
          > I shall give it a try with bending it to 60% or tilt 5% upwards as you
          > suggested.
          >
          > I.

        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 26 , May 2, 2007
            I feel you may be really pleased of Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom quality too!!!
            SHAVE IT,
            :-D You can use it at 10 mm to do monopod shots like 8mm on APSC
            sensor, up to 14mm to shoot 5 pictures around tilted down and 1 up, or
            to 17mm to have a 8shots full sphere in high detail. :-)