Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Sigma 8mm/5D

  • Paul F
    Message 1 of 26 , May 2 12:47 AM
      Thanks for all the replies

      My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
      choice?

      Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
      adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

      I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(

      With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
      software will give a lager usable file if needed?

      I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
      and find every one great fun.

      FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
      really helps blend the images.

      One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

      Cheers

    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 26 , May 2 1:03 AM
        On 2 May 2007, at 08:47, Paul F wrote:

        > Thanks for all the replies
        >
        > My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
        > choice?

        Probably not ideal, but I'm not sure about 'wrong'.

        > Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
        > adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

        Most people just stick a bit of plastic into the lever on the back of
        the lens mount and use it with a fixed aperture. Unlike most Nikon
        dSLRs, Canon dSLRs will meter without a connection to the aperture
        control.
        Michel Thoby worked out a method where you could rotate the lens on a
        converted adapter to alter the aperture, but it requires a fair
        amount of machining skill.

        > I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(
        >
        > With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
        > software will give a lager usable file if needed?

        If the detail isn't there in the first place, upsampling isn't going
        to help at all. All upsampling really does is stop images pixelating
        when viewed close-up.

        > I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
        > and find every one great fun.

        :-) Highly addictive.

        > FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
        > really helps blend the images.
        >
        > One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

        Any PTGui project file can be loaded up as a template, there's no
        need to 'make' one as such. Note that a template is only going to
        give you a starting point, you will still need to generate control
        points and optimise unless using a hyper-accurate head such as the
        360Precision.

        Ian
      • dorindxn
        Message 3 of 26 , May 2 2:05 AM
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
          > > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
          > > 4368x2912
          >
          > The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:

          http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5m
          m_
          > canon_5d.zip
          >
          > John

          With those images the size is 6860x3430, so my initial test was wrong.

          I aplolgise.

          Dorin
        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 26 , May 2 6:59 AM
            I standard use it 4 shots, 60degrees of roll and 3 degrees of tilt. On
            Agnos ring.
            No zenit to retouch, my beautyful wooden tripod is complete.
            :-DDDD

            udedomenico ha scritto:

            > Thanks all for your replies,
            >
            > yes I confirm it's a 350D and I must admit I thought i could
            > just "touch the verticals" with the sigma.
            >
            > I did not know the new sigma was "bigger".
            >
            > I shall give it a try with bending it to 60% or tilt 5% upwards as you
            > suggested.
            >
            > I.

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 26 , May 2 7:08 AM
              I feel you may be really pleased of Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom quality too!!!
              SHAVE IT,
              :-D You can use it at 10 mm to do monopod shots like 8mm on APSC
              sensor, up to 14mm to shoot 5 pictures around tilted down and 1 up, or
              to 17mm to have a 8shots full sphere in high detail. :-)