Re: Sigma 8mm/5D (was Something not quite right with my new Sigma 8mm 3.5)

  • Eric O'Brien
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2007
      If you know the (effective) Horizontal Field of View of your lens (in
      degrees), and if you know how many pixels of your camera's sensor
      this covers, you can calculate the number of pixels per degree your
      system can capture.

      After this, simply multiply that number by 360 to discover the
      maximum "optimal" width of a panorama that was captured with that
      system.

      On May 1, 2007, at 6:48 AM, qsecofr88888 wrote:

      > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
      > made from PTGUI? I don't have a 5D but i have both lenses.
      > I'm still using d70 at the moment. The d70+8mm combination can only
      > generate a pano of 6000x3000 pixels or slightly less. Definitely a
      > bit too
      > small to edit full screen qtvr.

      I don't know about that... how large a screen were you aiming for?
      For me, a 4000px wide equirectangular seems to be a fair compromise
      for a "full screen" panorama.

      eo

      > cheers
      > fatchai.

    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm
        and
        > > I obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui
        > >

        > I found 3 images from a shaved 10.5mm on a 5D and obtained a
        6500x3250
        > pano in PTGui.
        >
        > John

        John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
        consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
        4368x2912, if your test images are 3168x2112 or 2496x1664 those must
        be resampled at 4368x2912 or apply some multiplier on size of
        resulting output

        Dorin
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

          > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
          > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
          > 4368x2912

          The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:
          http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5mm_
          canon_5d.zip

          John
        • Paul F
          Message 4 of 26 , May 2, 2007
            Thanks for all the replies

            My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
            choice?

            Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
            adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

            I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(

            With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
            software will give a lager usable file if needed?

            I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
            and find every one great fun.

            FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
            really helps blend the images.

            One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

            Cheers

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 26 , May 2, 2007
              On 2 May 2007, at 08:47, Paul F wrote:

              > Thanks for all the replies
              >
              > My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
              > choice?

              Probably not ideal, but I'm not sure about 'wrong'.

              > Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
              > adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

              Most people just stick a bit of plastic into the lever on the back of
              the lens mount and use it with a fixed aperture. Unlike most Nikon
              dSLRs, Canon dSLRs will meter without a connection to the aperture
              control.
              Michel Thoby worked out a method where you could rotate the lens on a
              converted adapter to alter the aperture, but it requires a fair
              amount of machining skill.

              > I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(
              >
              > With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
              > software will give a lager usable file if needed?

              If the detail isn't there in the first place, upsampling isn't going
              to help at all. All upsampling really does is stop images pixelating
              when viewed close-up.

              > I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
              > and find every one great fun.

              :-) Highly addictive.

              > FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
              > really helps blend the images.
              >
              > One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

              Any PTGui project file can be loaded up as a template, there's no
              need to 'make' one as such. Note that a template is only going to
              give you a starting point, you will still need to generate control
              points and optimise unless using a hyper-accurate head such as the
              360Precision.

              Ian
            • dorindxn
              Message 6 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                > > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                > > 4368x2912
                >
                > The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:

                http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5m
                m_
                > canon_5d.zip
                >
                > John

                With those images the size is 6860x3430, so my initial test was wrong.

                I aplolgise.

                Dorin
              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                  I standard use it 4 shots, 60degrees of roll and 3 degrees of tilt. On
                  Agnos ring.
                  No zenit to retouch, my beautyful wooden tripod is complete.
                  :-DDDD

                  udedomenico ha scritto:

                  > Thanks all for your replies,
                  >
                  > yes I confirm it's a 350D and I must admit I thought i could
                  > just "touch the verticals" with the sigma.
                  >
                  > I did not know the new sigma was "bigger".
                  >
                  > I shall give it a try with bending it to 60% or tilt 5% upwards as you
                  > suggested.
                  >
                  > I.

                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                    I feel you may be really pleased of Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom quality too!!!
                    SHAVE IT,
                    :-D You can use it at 10 mm to do monopod shots like 8mm on APSC
                    sensor, up to 14mm to shoot 5 pictures around tilted down and 1 up, or
                    to 17mm to have a 8shots full sphere in high detail. :-)