Re: [PanoToolsNG] Shooting with the sigma 8mm rolled 60° instead of 90°: some unexpected results

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1 3:49 PM
      Hard to say what happened. looking at the quality of the image at the
      edge I think that maybe the 60 deg version is cropped because I think
      the edge looks better. Did you use the same FoV for each set?

      With my Nikon D70s & 10.5 fisheye, I rotate the camera 30 deg and tilt
      down 20 deg to fill the nadir as much as possible. I take 6 around. I
      then have to take two shots to fill the zenith.

      http://photocreations.ca/equipment/panhead3pole2.mov

      Jim

      --
      Jim Watters

      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      http://photocreations.ca
    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2 4:05 PM
        Hi Imbu,

        > Again... what am I doing wrong?

        It is your crop.

        Assuming that you have rolled your camera by 60° when recording your image,
        the imported image taken with a -60° roll and circular crop circle should
        look in ptgui/ptmac like that:

        http://www.360image.de/test/sigma8cropcircle.jpg

        The image parameters of the rolled, straightened and warped image should
        look in ptgui/ptmac like that:

        http://www.360image.de/test/sigma8rolled-60degrees.jpg

        If any holes do excist due to insufficient overlap, you will find the
        holes offset by 60° off nadir and zenith.
        With 4 images taken there should not be any holes left, providing the
        optimized fov is 180° if < 180° you will have some voids.
        Remember, that the fov depends on your crop. Maximize the crop, even if
        you get the blue fringe.
        You can desaturate the blue out easely, later.

        Have fun, you are almost there.

        Ciao, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2 5:19 PM
          udedomenico wrote:
          > Again... what am I doing wrong?

          Going back and looking at your original image.
          http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/IMG_5079_Smaller.jpg
          I can see that this lens is almost give 180 deg vertical fov. You are
          not going to gain very much by rotating the camera. This technique is
          to help full frame lenses. Although it should help just a bit I don't
          think it is worth it for this setup.
          If your aim is to eliminate shooting separate nadir and zenith shots and
          you are ok having slightly lower quality image in these areas, having
          you, the pole, and you & the pole's shadows in the image, this is the
          method to use.

          The better method for your set up is tilting the lens up 5 to 10 deg to
          completely cover the zenith. Then take another shot to fill in the
          nadir. I have my camera rotated and pointed down to fill in the nadir
          but I *always* take another shot to replace it anyway.

          --
          Jim Watters

          Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
          jwatters @ photocreations . ca
          http://photocreations.ca
        • Wheaton, Simon
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2 8:45 PM
            Does it automatically use the 'replacement' nadir, or do you have to delete/mask the bottom of the other images to create a hole at the nadir, so that it does use the 'replacement' nadir with stitching/blending?

            Simon
            Canberra
            AUSTRALIA

            Message 5 of 19 , May 2 8:52 PM
              If I was to pre-mask the around images then it would likely be
              automatic. I blend it in manually just before I add my logo. In
              Photoshop I extract the nadir, blend in the extra shot then add my
              name. Flatten then convert back.

              Jim

              Wheaton, Simon wrote:
              > Does it automatically use the 'replacement' nadir, or do you have to delete/mask the bottom of the other images to create a hole at the nadir, so that it does use the 'replacement' nadir with stitching/blending?
              >
              > Simon
              > Canberra
              > AUSTRALIA

            • Neil Miller
              Message 6 of 19 , May 2 10:06 PM
                Hi All, looking around for a new setup.

                Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it sounded ok plus teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF] lens for shooting full and partial panoramas.

                Don't suppose anyone has that body or lens and if so, what are your thoughts on them.

                Cheers

                Neil
              • dorindxn
                Message 7 of 19 , May 2 11:58 PM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Neil Miller <webguy@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All, looking around for a new setup.
                  >
                  > Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it
                  sounded ok plus teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5
                  ED [IF] lens for shooting full and partial panoramas.

                  > Don't suppose anyone has that body or lens and if so, what are your
                  thoughts on them.

                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Neil

                  Hi Neil, with exact combo you can see here some panos,
                  http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/2852/
                  also, you might study other Lennart's posts there

                  Dorin
                • udedomenico
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3 2:42 AM
                    Thanks Milko for you input,

                    Yeah I did that as per pic you have posted but I think Jim is right
                    unfortunately.

                    yes the FOV it is < 180 but with the new sigma I do not think we can
                    get to 180.

                    See what happens when you crop (on the right my pic taken with the
                    new sigma and on the left your pic taken I think with the old sigma):

                    http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG

                    In the new lens there is always some black area left which has to be
                    included in the crop.

                    I also tried reducing the circle therefore trimming away the black
                    area but I do not see much improvement (inevitably the FOV go down a
                    lot and I guess you do miss something in the stitching which, by
                    coincidence, it is still the nadir and zenith...)

                    As I said I think the pic you posted is made with the old sigma
                    (it's an agnos pic is it not?)

                    I have posted pics I used and the ptgui template anybody wants to
                    test it at:

                    http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Pics/

                    the only option I see is to tilt the camera 5 degrees... unless
                    someone comes out with something else (other than buying a full
                    frame, that's not an option! :) )
                  • Alexandre Duret-Lutz
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3 3:59 AM
                      On 5/3/07, Neil Miller <webguy@...> wrote:
                      > Was reading the specs and reviews on the Pentax K10D and thought it sounded ok plus
                      > teamed up with pentax's DA Fisheye 10mm-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF] lens for shooting
                      > full and partial panoramas.

                      All the panoramas I've posted on Flickr since April the 10th were
                      taken with this body and lens.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadl/
                      Earlier panoramas were shot with the K10D's 18-55 kit lens.
                      This is my first fisheye and DSLR, so I can't make any comparison with
                      other gear.

                      One thing you should know about the K10D is that when shooting in
                      manual mode its autobracketing feature will change both aperture and
                      speed: you can't tell it to lock one of the two. This can be an issue
                      if you plan to shoot HDR panoramas. Some discussion about this here:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/behr/408494768/#comment72157594566794345
                      (Flickr user view behrmi, who shot the panorama of this last link is
                      also using this lens.)
                      This autobracking issue is the only point I would hold against the K10D.
                      --
                      Alexandre Duret-Lutz
                    • Francesco Francalli
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3 4:08 AM
                        From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:

                        http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG

                        it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you obtained just a 30
                        degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).

                        You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the diagonal of the image
                        (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can easily see on the test
                        shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).

                        Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.

                        I hope it helps.

                        Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
                        f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                        Francesco
                        www.around.it
                      • Peter Nyfeler
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3 8:05 AM
                          Francesco Francalli schrieb:
                          > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
                          > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                          Ciao Francesco

                          I've made photo out from my balcony uploaded it as it was directly from
                          the camera.

                          D200 Sigma 8mm f3.5

                          http://www.davos360.ch/DSC_5094.JPG

                          HTH

                          best regards

                          Peter
                        • ptgroup
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 3 8:21 AM
                            Oh - the circle is much more cropped as on my D80 !
                            I got a nearly uncropped circle on the D80 at top & bottom.
                            I guess the factor of the D80/D200 aren´t th same then.
                            Some 1/10th differnet ??
                            Ciao
                            Mike
                            > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the new Sigma 8mm
                            > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                            Ciao Francesco

                            I've made photo out from my balcony uploaded it as it was directly from
                            the camera.

                            D200 Sigma 8mm f3.5

                            http://www.davos360.ch/DSC_5094.JPG

                            HTH

                            best regards

                            Peter

                          • Mr. Peter A Crowley
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 3 8:36 AM
                              Francesco,
                              I don't have a place to load it, so I added it to the files section
                              of this group. I added one JPEG taken with Nikon D200 with the Sigma
                              8mm f/3.5 G fisheye. Yes, I have some cropping in my script, but the
                              coverage is worth it, I think. I've found it does very well with 4
                              shots @ 90 degrees, covers the zenith and includes the tripod head.
                              This means (for me at least) that the nadir hole is smaller than the
                              head of my tripod when using a Nodal Ninja 3. I haven't taken a
                              nadir shot on the two panos I've made so far (I've only had the
                              equipment a week and I'm still expiramenting) and my cap covers the
                              hole and tripod.
                              -Peter

                              On May 3, 2007, at 6:08 AM, Francesco Francalli wrote:

                              > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                              >
                              > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                              >
                              > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                              > obtained just a 30
                              > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                              >
                              > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the
                              > diagonal of the image
                              > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                              > easily see on the test
                              > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                              >
                              > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                              >
                              > I hope it helps.
                              >
                              > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested
                              > the new Sigma 8mm
                              > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping
                              > also on 1.5x sensors.
                              >
                              > Francesco
                              > www.around.it

                            • udedomenico
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 3 8:48 AM
                                I see your point!

                                I shall check that...

                                Thanks

                                I.

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco Francalli"
                                <francesco.francalli@...> wrote:

                                > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                                >
                                > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                                >
                                > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                                obtained just a 30
                                > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                                >
                                > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the
                                diagonal of the image
                                > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                                easily see on the test
                                > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                                >
                                > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                                >
                                > I hope it helps.
                                >
                                > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested
                                the new Sigma 8mm
                                > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some
                                cropping also on 1.5x sensors.

                                > Francesco
                                > www.around.it

                              • Luca Vascon
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 3 2:00 PM
                                  And now with the rings is also lighter and easier!!!
                                  :-D
                                  You can use Agnos and also bophoto ring this way.

                                  Francesco Francalli ha scritto:

                                  > From what I see on the pics you posted, like the following:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG
                                  > <http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/Differences.JPG>
                                  >
                                  > it seems you rolled the camera on the wrong side, which means you
                                  > obtained just a 30
                                  > degrees rotation (or 60 degrees on the opposite side).
                                  >
                                  > You can clearly see how on your pics it's the HORIZON on the diagonal
                                  > of the image
                                  > (sensor) and not the VERTICAL LINES on the diagonal, like you can
                                  > easily see on the test
                                  > shots of Luca who developed this solution (sold by Agno's).
                                  >
                                  > Rolling the camera 60 degrees clockwise is the right way.
                                  >
                                  > I hope it helps.
                                  >
                                  > Anybody with a Nikon D200 (or other 1,5x crop factor) has tested the
                                  > new Sigma 8mm
                                  > f3.5 and has some pics to share? I wonder if it shows some cropping
                                  > also on 1.5x sensors.
                                  >
                                  > Francesco
                                  > www.around.it

                                • Pat Swovelin
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 4 12:05 AM
                                    ptgroup wrote:
                                    > Oh - the circle is much more cropped as on my D80 !
                                    > I got a nearly uncropped circle on the D80 at top & bottom.
                                    > I guess the factor of the D80/D200 aren´t th same then.

                                    They have the same size sensor 23.6 x 15.8 mm.

                                    > Some 1/10th differnet ??
                                    > Ciao
                                    > Mike

                                    Pat Swovelin
                                    Cool Guy @ Large
                                  • Francesco Francalli
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 4 6:48 AM
                                      Ciao Peter, thank you very much!

                                      I see the crop is just on the edge but I'm sure it's not a problem for stitching 3 or 4 shots
                                      complete panos.

                                      Great camera/lens combinantion and almost no vignetting from what I see.

                                      HFWYNT :-)

                                      Francesco
                                    • udedomenico
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 9 2:44 AM
                                        Hello,

                                        Just a quick update for those who are interested.

                                        Francesco was right in saying I was not rolling the camera in the
                                        right direction.

                                        And it is true that if you roll exactly 60 degrees you manage to get
                                        rid of the 2 holes you would inevitably get with the new sigma 8/3.5.

                                        See the quick test I made yesterday night:
                                        http://www.umbertodedomenico.net/provv/TestSigma3_5_60DegreesRolled.j
                                        pg

                                        Of course it remains to appreciate if the use of 4 shots instead of
                                        5 does not degrade the quality of the pic.

                                        but that's another story....