Re: Sigma 8mm/5D (wasSomething not quite right with my new Sigma 8mm 3.5)

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:

      > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
      > made from PTGUI? i don't have a 5D but i have both lens.
      > i m still using d70 at the moment. the d70+8mm combination can only
      > generate a pano with 6000x3000 or slightly less. definately a bit too
      > small to edit full screen qtvr.
      >
      > cheers
      > fatchai.

      I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm and I
      obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui

      Dorin
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

        > I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm and
        > I obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui

        I found 3 images from a shaved 10.5mm on a 5D and obtained a 6500x3250
        pano in PTGui.

        John
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2007
          On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:07:18 +0900, John Houghton
          <j.houghton@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
          >> made from PTGUI?
          >
          > Fatchai, With the much larger sensor on the 5D, it seems obvious that
          > you are going to get a larger equirectangular image out of PTGui than
          > from a D70. However, if you take a close look at the camera
          > specifications at dpreview.com, say, you can calculate the approximate
          > physical pixel sizes from the image dimensions and sensor sizes.
          > Perhaps surprisingly, it turns out that the 5D has slightly bigger
          > pixels than the D70, and so PTGui will generate a smaller panorama from
          > the 5D images than from the D70 images, given the same lens. I don't
          > have a 5D or a D70 so I cannot provide any actual panorama sizes.

          There is also the often-overlooked fact that there is much more "black"
          area around the circular 8mm image with a full-frame camera image than
          there is with a smaller sensor in a 1.6:1 or 1.5:1 camera. This means
          that fewer of the pixels are used in the final image.

          Roger

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 2007
            If you know the (effective) Horizontal Field of View of your lens (in
            degrees), and if you know how many pixels of your camera's sensor
            this covers, you can calculate the number of pixels per degree your
            system can capture.

            After this, simply multiply that number by 360 to discover the
            maximum "optimal" width of a panorama that was captured with that
            system.

            On May 1, 2007, at 6:48 AM, qsecofr88888 wrote:

            > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
            > made from PTGUI? I don't have a 5D but i have both lenses.
            > I'm still using d70 at the moment. The d70+8mm combination can only
            > generate a pano of 6000x3000 pixels or slightly less. Definitely a
            > bit too
            > small to edit full screen qtvr.

            I don't know about that... how large a screen were you aiming for?
            For me, a 4000px wide equirectangular seems to be a fair compromise
            for a "full screen" panorama.

            eo

            > cheers
            > fatchai.

          • dorindxn
            Message 5 of 26 , May 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm
              and
              > > I obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui
              > >

              > I found 3 images from a shaved 10.5mm on a 5D and obtained a
              6500x3250
              > pano in PTGui.
              >
              > John

              John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
              consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
              4368x2912, if your test images are 3168x2112 or 2496x1664 those must
              be resampled at 4368x2912 or apply some multiplier on size of
              resulting output

              Dorin
            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 26 , May 1, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                > 4368x2912

                The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:
                http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5mm_
                canon_5d.zip

                John
              • Paul F
                Message 7 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                  Thanks for all the replies

                  My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
                  choice?

                  Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
                  adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

                  I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(

                  With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
                  software will give a lager usable file if needed?

                  I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
                  and find every one great fun.

                  FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
                  really helps blend the images.

                  One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

                  Cheers

                • Ian Wood
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                    On 2 May 2007, at 08:47, Paul F wrote:

                    > Thanks for all the replies
                    >
                    > My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
                    > choice?

                    Probably not ideal, but I'm not sure about 'wrong'.

                    > Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
                    > adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

                    Most people just stick a bit of plastic into the lever on the back of
                    the lens mount and use it with a fixed aperture. Unlike most Nikon
                    dSLRs, Canon dSLRs will meter without a connection to the aperture
                    control.
                    Michel Thoby worked out a method where you could rotate the lens on a
                    converted adapter to alter the aperture, but it requires a fair
                    amount of machining skill.

                    > I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(
                    >
                    > With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
                    > software will give a lager usable file if needed?

                    If the detail isn't there in the first place, upsampling isn't going
                    to help at all. All upsampling really does is stop images pixelating
                    when viewed close-up.

                    > I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
                    > and find every one great fun.

                    :-) Highly addictive.

                    > FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
                    > really helps blend the images.
                    >
                    > One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

                    Any PTGui project file can be loaded up as a template, there's no
                    need to 'make' one as such. Note that a template is only going to
                    give you a starting point, you will still need to generate control
                    points and optimise unless using a hyper-accurate head such as the
                    360Precision.

                    Ian
                  • dorindxn
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                      > > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                      > > 4368x2912
                      >
                      > The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:

                      http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5m
                      m_
                      > canon_5d.zip
                      >
                      > John

                      With those images the size is 6860x3430, so my initial test was wrong.

                      I aplolgise.

                      Dorin
                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                        I standard use it 4 shots, 60degrees of roll and 3 degrees of tilt. On
                        Agnos ring.
                        No zenit to retouch, my beautyful wooden tripod is complete.
                        :-DDDD

                        udedomenico ha scritto:

                        > Thanks all for your replies,
                        >
                        > yes I confirm it's a 350D and I must admit I thought i could
                        > just "touch the verticals" with the sigma.
                        >
                        > I did not know the new sigma was "bigger".
                        >
                        > I shall give it a try with bending it to 60% or tilt 5% upwards as you
                        > suggested.
                        >
                        > I.

                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                          I feel you may be really pleased of Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom quality too!!!
                          SHAVE IT,
                          :-D You can use it at 10 mm to do monopod shots like 8mm on APSC
                          sensor, up to 14mm to shoot 5 pictures around tilted down and 1 up, or
                          to 17mm to have a 8shots full sphere in high detail. :-)