Re: Sigma 8mm/5D (wasSomething not quite right with my new Sigma 8mm 3.5)

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1 12:07 PM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:

      > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
      > made from PTGUI?

      Fatchai, With the much larger sensor on the 5D, it seems obvious that
      you are going to get a larger equirectangular image out of PTGui than
      from a D70. However, if you take a close look at the camera
      specifications at dpreview.com, say, you can calculate the approximate
      physical pixel sizes from the image dimensions and sensor sizes.
      Perhaps surprisingly, it turns out that the 5D has slightly bigger
      pixels than the D70, and so PTGui will generate a smaller panorama from
      the 5D images than from the D70 images, given the same lens. I don't
      have a 5D or a D70 so I cannot provide any actual panorama sizes.

      John
    • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1 1:09 PM
        > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
        > made from PTGUI? i don't have a 5D but i have both lens.
        > i m still using d70 at the moment. the d70+8mm combination can only
        > generate a pano with 6000x3000 or slightly less. definately a bit too
        > small to edit full screen qtvr.

        Here is the simple version:

        I use a D70s + 10.5mm. It projects 86.63 degrees in 2000 pixels on the
        small side.

        I used http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm to get the FoV.
        Choose your camera, your lens, press "calculate image" and read the "for
        fisheye lens" table.

        If 2000 pixels are available for 86.63 degrees, then stitching multiple
        together to 360 degrees will give you (360/86.63 x 2000) = 8311 pixels.

        You can do the same for all your combos..

        Serge.
      • dorindxn
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1 1:15 PM
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:

          > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
          > made from PTGUI? i don't have a 5D but i have both lens.
          > i m still using d70 at the moment. the d70+8mm combination can only
          > generate a pano with 6000x3000 or slightly less. definately a bit too
          > small to edit full screen qtvr.
          >
          > cheers
          > fatchai.

          I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm and I
          obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui

          Dorin
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1 3:00 PM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

            > I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm and
            > I obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui

            I found 3 images from a shaved 10.5mm on a 5D and obtained a 6500x3250
            pano in PTGui.

            John
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 26 , May 1 6:01 PM
              On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:07:18 +0900, John Houghton
              <j.houghton@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
              >> made from PTGUI?
              >
              > Fatchai, With the much larger sensor on the 5D, it seems obvious that
              > you are going to get a larger equirectangular image out of PTGui than
              > from a D70. However, if you take a close look at the camera
              > specifications at dpreview.com, say, you can calculate the approximate
              > physical pixel sizes from the image dimensions and sensor sizes.
              > Perhaps surprisingly, it turns out that the 5D has slightly bigger
              > pixels than the D70, and so PTGui will generate a smaller panorama from
              > the 5D images than from the D70 images, given the same lens. I don't
              > have a 5D or a D70 so I cannot provide any actual panorama sizes.

              There is also the often-overlooked fact that there is much more "black"
              area around the circular 8mm image with a full-frame camera image than
              there is with a smaller sensor in a 1.6:1 or 1.5:1 camera. This means
              that fewer of the pixels are used in the final image.

              Roger

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
              Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              Message 6 of 26 , May 1 8:27 PM
                If you know the (effective) Horizontal Field of View of your lens (in
                degrees), and if you know how many pixels of your camera's sensor
                this covers, you can calculate the number of pixels per degree your
                system can capture.

                After this, simply multiply that number by 360 to discover the
                maximum "optimal" width of a panorama that was captured with that
                system.

                On May 1, 2007, at 6:48 AM, qsecofr88888 wrote:

                > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
                > made from PTGUI? I don't have a 5D but i have both lenses.
                > I'm still using d70 at the moment. The d70+8mm combination can only
                > generate a pano of 6000x3000 pixels or slightly less. Definitely a
                > bit too
                > small to edit full screen qtvr.

                I don't know about that... how large a screen were you aiming for?
                For me, a 4000px wide equirectangular seems to be a fair compromise
                for a "full screen" panorama.

                eo

                > cheers
                > fatchai.

              • dorindxn
                Message 7 of 26 , May 1 11:12 PM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm
                  and
                  > > I obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui
                  > >

                  > I found 3 images from a shaved 10.5mm on a 5D and obtained a
                  6500x3250
                  > pano in PTGui.
                  >
                  > John

                  John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                  consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                  4368x2912, if your test images are 3168x2112 or 2496x1664 those must
                  be resampled at 4368x2912 or apply some multiplier on size of
                  resulting output

                  Dorin
                • John Houghton
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1 11:55 PM
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                    > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                    > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                    > 4368x2912

                    The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:
                    http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5mm_
                    canon_5d.zip

                    John
                  • Paul F
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 2 12:47 AM
                      Thanks for all the replies

                      My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
                      choice?

                      Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
                      adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

                      I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(

                      With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
                      software will give a lager usable file if needed?

                      I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
                      and find every one great fun.

                      FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
                      really helps blend the images.

                      One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

                      Cheers

                    • Ian Wood
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 2 1:03 AM
                        On 2 May 2007, at 08:47, Paul F wrote:

                        > Thanks for all the replies
                        >
                        > My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
                        > choice?

                        Probably not ideal, but I'm not sure about 'wrong'.

                        > Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
                        > adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

                        Most people just stick a bit of plastic into the lever on the back of
                        the lens mount and use it with a fixed aperture. Unlike most Nikon
                        dSLRs, Canon dSLRs will meter without a connection to the aperture
                        control.
                        Michel Thoby worked out a method where you could rotate the lens on a
                        converted adapter to alter the aperture, but it requires a fair
                        amount of machining skill.

                        > I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(
                        >
                        > With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
                        > software will give a lager usable file if needed?

                        If the detail isn't there in the first place, upsampling isn't going
                        to help at all. All upsampling really does is stop images pixelating
                        when viewed close-up.

                        > I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
                        > and find every one great fun.

                        :-) Highly addictive.

                        > FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
                        > really helps blend the images.
                        >
                        > One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

                        Any PTGui project file can be loaded up as a template, there's no
                        need to 'make' one as such. Note that a template is only going to
                        give you a starting point, you will still need to generate control
                        points and optimise unless using a hyper-accurate head such as the
                        360Precision.

                        Ian
                      • dorindxn
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 2 2:05 AM
                          wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                          > > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                          > > 4368x2912
                          >
                          > The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:

                          http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5m
                          m_
                          > canon_5d.zip
                          >
                          > John

                          With those images the size is 6860x3430, so my initial test was wrong.

                          I aplolgise.

                          Dorin
                        • Luca Vascon
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 2 6:59 AM
                            I standard use it 4 shots, 60degrees of roll and 3 degrees of tilt. On
                            Agnos ring.
                            No zenit to retouch, my beautyful wooden tripod is complete.
                            :-DDDD

                            udedomenico ha scritto:

                            > Thanks all for your replies,
                            >
                            > yes I confirm it's a 350D and I must admit I thought i could
                            > just "touch the verticals" with the sigma.
                            >
                            > I did not know the new sigma was "bigger".
                            >
                            > I shall give it a try with bending it to 60% or tilt 5% upwards as you
                            > suggested.
                            >
                            > I.

                          • Luca Vascon
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 2 7:08 AM
                              I feel you may be really pleased of Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom quality too!!!
                              SHAVE IT,
                              :-D You can use it at 10 mm to do monopod shots like 8mm on APSC
                              sensor, up to 14mm to shoot 5 pictures around tilted down and 1 up, or
                              to 17mm to have a 8shots full sphere in high detail. :-)