Re: Sigma 8mm/5D (wasSomething not quite right with my new Sigma 8mm 3.5)

  • qsecofr88888
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2007
      with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
      made from PTGUI? i don't have a 5D but i have both lens.
      i m still using d70 at the moment. the d70+8mm combination can only
      generate a pano with 6000x3000 or slightly less. definately a bit too
      small to edit full screen qtvr.

      cheers
      fatchai.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrey Ilyin" <andrey@...> wrote:

      > > A friend of mine just returned from New York where he wanted to
      > > experiment with high resolution panos using a 39mp hasselbad,
      he
      > > was stopped from shooting in central park and other places
      because
      > he
      > > looked professional and needed a permit!
      > >
      > > One location under one of the bridges an officer appeared from
      > > nowhere and charged him $25.
      > >
      > > When you say fast and easy, the few Ive tried with the 15mm dont
      > line
      > > up, maybe more manual control points have to be added??
      > >

      > > Any advice appreciated before I go :)

      > Well... everything depends on your standards of quality. I think
      that
      > 6000x3000 is an absolute minimum for full screen panos and it is
      > better to have bigger source file (I mean - maximum size that can
      be
      > generated by PTGui) - it will let you to apply noise reduction and
      > sharpening effectively and after that to downsize and produce clean
      > image.
      >
      > Regarding the process of shooting with monopod. Just keep monopod
      > vertical (bubble on the pano head helps a lot) and provide enough
      > overlap - simple. Never experienced problems with stitching monopod
      > panos, it is much easyer than handheld technique which is also
      pretty
      > easy (I was shooting a lot HH with diagonal fisheye).
      >
      > This is a sample of monopod pano: http://pano.1drey.com/panos/egypt/
      > aswan/crok.html
      >
      > For this pano I was shooting with monopod, fixing it with my knees -

      > http://pano.1drey.com/panos/egypt/aswan/aswan_hookah.html
      >
      > A sample of pano with 5D and old Sigma 8/f4 (and some discussion) -
      > http://www.360rage.com/panorama-forum/panotopic10.php

    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:

        > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
        > made from PTGUI?

        Fatchai, With the much larger sensor on the 5D, it seems obvious that
        you are going to get a larger equirectangular image out of PTGui than
        from a D70. However, if you take a close look at the camera
        specifications at dpreview.com, say, you can calculate the approximate
        physical pixel sizes from the image dimensions and sensor sizes.
        Perhaps surprisingly, it turns out that the 5D has slightly bigger
        pixels than the D70, and so PTGui will generate a smaller panorama from
        the 5D images than from the D70 images, given the same lens. I don't
        have a 5D or a D70 so I cannot provide any actual panorama sizes.

        John
      • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2007
          > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
          > made from PTGUI? i don't have a 5D but i have both lens.
          > i m still using d70 at the moment. the d70+8mm combination can only
          > generate a pano with 6000x3000 or slightly less. definately a bit too
          > small to edit full screen qtvr.

          Here is the simple version:

          I use a D70s + 10.5mm. It projects 86.63 degrees in 2000 pixels on the
          small side.

          I used http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm to get the FoV.
          Choose your camera, your lens, press "calculate image" and read the "for
          fisheye lens" table.

          If 2000 pixels are available for 86.63 degrees, then stitching multiple
          together to 360 degrees will give you (360/86.63 x 2000) = 8311 pixels.

          You can do the same for all your combos..

          Serge.
        • dorindxn
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:

            > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
            > made from PTGUI? i don't have a 5D but i have both lens.
            > i m still using d70 at the moment. the d70+8mm combination can only
            > generate a pano with 6000x3000 or slightly less. definately a bit too
            > small to edit full screen qtvr.
            >
            > cheers
            > fatchai.

            I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm and I
            obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui

            Dorin
          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 26 , May 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

              > I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm and
              > I obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui

              I found 3 images from a shaved 10.5mm on a 5D and obtained a 6500x3250
              pano in PTGui.

              John
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 26 , May 1, 2007
                On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:07:18 +0900, John Houghton
                <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
                >> made from PTGUI?
                >
                > Fatchai, With the much larger sensor on the 5D, it seems obvious that
                > you are going to get a larger equirectangular image out of PTGui than
                > from a D70. However, if you take a close look at the camera
                > specifications at dpreview.com, say, you can calculate the approximate
                > physical pixel sizes from the image dimensions and sensor sizes.
                > Perhaps surprisingly, it turns out that the 5D has slightly bigger
                > pixels than the D70, and so PTGui will generate a smaller panorama from
                > the 5D images than from the D70 images, given the same lens. I don't
                > have a 5D or a D70 so I cannot provide any actual panorama sizes.

                There is also the often-overlooked fact that there is much more "black"
                area around the circular 8mm image with a full-frame camera image than
                there is with a smaller sensor in a 1.6:1 or 1.5:1 camera. This means
                that fewer of the pixels are used in the final image.

                Roger

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com
                Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                Message 7 of 26 , May 1, 2007
                  If you know the (effective) Horizontal Field of View of your lens (in
                  degrees), and if you know how many pixels of your camera's sensor
                  this covers, you can calculate the number of pixels per degree your
                  system can capture.

                  After this, simply multiply that number by 360 to discover the
                  maximum "optimal" width of a panorama that was captured with that
                  system.

                  On May 1, 2007, at 6:48 AM, qsecofr88888 wrote:

                  > with 5D, 8mm, and 10.5mm, can anyone tell me how large the pano can
                  > made from PTGUI? I don't have a 5D but i have both lenses.
                  > I'm still using d70 at the moment. The d70+8mm combination can only
                  > generate a pano of 6000x3000 pixels or slightly less. Definitely a
                  > bit too
                  > small to edit full screen qtvr.

                  I don't know about that... how large a screen were you aiming for?
                  For me, a 4000px wide equirectangular seems to be a fair compromise
                  for a "full screen" panorama.

                  eo

                  > cheers
                  > fatchai.

                • dorindxn
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've made some tests with some pictures taked with 5D and 10.5mm
                    and
                    > > I obtained 8124x4062 in Hugin, I guess is the same for PTGui
                    > >

                    > I found 3 images from a shaved 10.5mm on a 5D and obtained a
                    6500x3250
                    > pano in PTGui.
                    >
                    > John

                    John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                    consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                    4368x2912, if your test images are 3168x2112 or 2496x1664 those must
                    be resampled at 4368x2912 or apply some multiplier on size of
                    resulting output

                    Dorin
                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 1, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                      > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                      > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                      > 4368x2912

                      The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:
                      http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5mm_
                      canon_5d.zip

                      John
                    • Paul F
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                        Thanks for all the replies

                        My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
                        choice?

                        Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
                        adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

                        I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(

                        With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
                        software will give a lager usable file if needed?

                        I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
                        and find every one great fun.

                        FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
                        really helps blend the images.

                        One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

                        Cheers

                      • Ian Wood
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                          On 2 May 2007, at 08:47, Paul F wrote:

                          > Thanks for all the replies
                          >
                          > My 8mm should be here in a couple of days... maybe it was the wrong
                          > choice?

                          Probably not ideal, but I'm not sure about 'wrong'.

                          > Re the Nikon, how do you set the aperture on it if using a canon
                          > adaptor? I thought it would only work in manual mode.

                          Most people just stick a bit of plastic into the lever on the back of
                          the lens mount and use it with a fixed aperture. Unlike most Nikon
                          dSLRs, Canon dSLRs will meter without a connection to the aperture
                          control.
                          Michel Thoby worked out a method where you could rotate the lens on a
                          converted adapter to alter the aperture, but it requires a fair
                          amount of machining skill.

                          > I havent time now to source one and trim the lens hood :(
                          >
                          > With regard pixel counts, surely careful upsizing in ACR and other
                          > software will give a lager usable file if needed?

                          If the detail isn't there in the first place, upsampling isn't going
                          to help at all. All upsampling really does is stop images pixelating
                          when viewed close-up.

                          > I have only been experimenting with these VR panos for a few months
                          > and find every one great fun.

                          :-) Highly addictive.

                          > FWIW I have found that with the canon 15mm, using +20 vignette in ACR
                          > really helps blend the images.
                          >
                          > One last question, how do you make a template in PT Gui?

                          Any PTGui project file can be loaded up as a template, there's no
                          need to 'make' one as such. Note that a template is only going to
                          give you a starting point, you will still need to generate control
                          points and optimise unless using a hyper-accurate head such as the
                          360Precision.

                          Ian
                        • dorindxn
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                            wrote:

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > John, what is the size of images that you used, please take in
                            > > consideration that the maximum image size from camera 5D is
                            > > 4368x2912
                            >
                            > The images are 4368x2912. They can be found here:

                            http://fromparis.com/tests/test4_canon_5d_nikon_10_5mm_set/nikon_10_5m
                            m_
                            > canon_5d.zip
                            >
                            > John

                            With those images the size is 6860x3430, so my initial test was wrong.

                            I aplolgise.

                            Dorin
                          • Luca Vascon
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                              I standard use it 4 shots, 60degrees of roll and 3 degrees of tilt. On
                              Agnos ring.
                              No zenit to retouch, my beautyful wooden tripod is complete.
                              :-DDDD

                              udedomenico ha scritto:

                              > Thanks all for your replies,
                              >
                              > yes I confirm it's a 350D and I must admit I thought i could
                              > just "touch the verticals" with the sigma.
                              >
                              > I did not know the new sigma was "bigger".
                              >
                              > I shall give it a try with bending it to 60% or tilt 5% upwards as you
                              > suggested.
                              >
                              > I.

                            • Luca Vascon
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 2, 2007
                                I feel you may be really pleased of Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom quality too!!!
                                SHAVE IT,
                                :-D You can use it at 10 mm to do monopod shots like 8mm on APSC
                                sensor, up to 14mm to shoot 5 pictures around tilted down and 1 up, or
                                to 17mm to have a 8shots full sphere in high detail. :-)