Re: [PanoToolsNG] VR images in Second Life?

  • Yuval Levy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2007
      erik leeman wrote:
      > Does any of you have experience with this?

      I've built a cube in Second Life, but got quickly bored. You can enter
      it and visit it as if it was a panorama, but the navigation interface is
      not so great. The next step to attemt would be with tiled cubefaces to
      make it larger, as your "friend" suggest.

      > Could this combination perhaps lead to something REALLY useful?

      well, plenty of corporations are setting up foot in Second Life and it
      already has the same turnover as the GDP of a small developing country IIRC.

      There is potential to make money out of the sales of images there, but
      the price is nowhere near what the value of a panorama is. You'd be
      surprised on what wasteful things people spend money in that game, though.

      > I have not decided yet what I am going to tell my thankful stranger
      > because I have no idea if this kind of use is strictly private or
      > public and/or commercial, since I don't know a thing about Second
      > Life. Maybe one of you can 'enlighten' me.

      There definitely is a commercial use and I would insist on copyright
      enforcement with this stranger. Second Life has cooperated with the
      removal of copyrighted material in the past, but you might not need to
      get that far. The Second Life world has all the elements of a DRM. When
      you "build" one such structure, you can license it to others against a
      fee. In the "licensing conditions" you can limit the usage to one copy,
      or let the buyer multiply it as many time as he wants (and thus sell it
      on to somebody else).

      I have not gone to SecondLife for about half a year now, so AFAIK my
      account could be deleted. As I stated above, I quickly lost interest in
      Second Life - real life is a much more interesting place IMO. I might
      consider going back to SecondLife if I'd see a business opportunity in
      real currency, not in SecondLife currency.

      Yuv

      --
      Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
      Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup