Re: yet another indoor pano - please comment

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Karol Kwiatek" <k_kwiatek@...>
      > Dorin,
      > my congratulations, wonderful panorama of the interior!
      > Please provide us also you anaglyph panorama.
      > I am also interested how did you do 3D pano.
      > Karol
      > http://www.kwiatek.krakow.pl/index_eng.htm - my basic 3D panos
      > two years ago

      Hi Karol, thanks for the kind words,

      For the next pano of a beautiful indoor I intend to do a 3D pano
      same thechnique as used for
      http://www.dxn.ro/anaglyph1.html (DevalVR)
      http://www.dxn.ro/anaglyph1_QT.html (QuickTime)
      http://www.dxn.ro/anaglyph2.html (DevalVR)
      http://www.dxn.ro/anaglyph2_QT.html (QuickTime)

      I hope to obtain better results indoor

      I described my techique in a panoramic forum, but because of my bad
      English, I reproduce here the description putted in right words by
      John Houghton, which was also very kind to do his own tests:

      The technique that Dorin described is simple. What you really want is
      two cameras separated by 6cm pointing forwards in parallel
      directions. You then rotate the two cameras together as a single unit
      about the centre of the line joining the entrance pupils. What Dorin
      suggested is to dispense with one of the cameras and take one set of
      photos with the camera shifted laterally by 3cm from its
      normal position. Now rotate the camera 180 degrees about the upper
      horizontal axis and take a second set of images. In this
      configuration, the camera behaves like a second camera 6cm to the
      side of the first

      I used Nodal Ninja 3 with t-adapter mounted on lower rail as in the
      next image (you need a detent ring as a spacer on knob which fixes t-
      adapter on lower rail)

      in that way camera Canon 350D with 18-55 kit lens can do complete
      rotations about upper horisontal axis, thechnique used was multirow
      38 photos for each left/righ pano.

      Mainly, the workflow can be divided in two
      1. Taking the photos as in method described, and stitching as
      separate two panos
      2. Align the panos and process them to obtain final anaglyph.

      While first point, I think, is pretty clear and no need to be
      changed, second point can be done in couple of ways.

      I used this way (Hugin) :
      I aligned the right(eye) pano by asign manually control points on
      left and right pano on distant from camera features and optimise only
      y,p,r for right, then to apply +0.4 degrees shift on yaw for right
      pano (image) and producing the new aligned right equirect pano