Re: [PanoToolsNG] On-the-road help? PTGui, 10.5mm, Fuji S5 Pro

  • Eric O'Brien
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2007
      On Apr 22, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

      > If I turn the Automatic option off, the focal length is set to
      > 15.98mm (15.982858 if I click in the field) and the focal length
      > multiplier is set to 0.5323 x. When I edit the focal length it just
      > gets set back to the 15.98mm value.

      I'm using a Fuji S2 with the Nikon 10.5 lens.

      PTGui does the same thing for me too. I think something may be wrong
      with the way those three fields interact.

      Just IGNORE the focal length and focal length multiplier fields.
      There is only one important value and it is "Horizontal Field of Field."

      For this lens, in portrait orientation, the value is somewhere near
      86 degrees. That is, the angle of view across the SHORT side of the
      image is about 86 degrees. The other way, it's about 137 degrees.
      Just set Lens type to Fullframe and HFoV to 87.

      Make sure you are using the ADVANCED interface, and please do
      ENTIRELY SKIP the Project Assistant tab. You may also want to try
      IGNORING info in the EXIF data (which presumable includes camera
      orientation). I swear, all these "automatic wizards" are far more
      confusing and more trouble than they're worth.

      Note that "87" degrees is just a starting point. After optimization,
      the value will be fine-tuned. Check the Lens settings tab. If your
      stitched image looks good, save the values to the Lens database and
      re-load them each time. Or use "Make Default..." to have these
      settings come up automatically for every new project.

      eo