new forum set up

  • de gava
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
      Since the list is fairly mature already at it's start
      perhaps it would be well to pay attention to the
      special features yahoo, the web, and computers offer.
      For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of
      links ( prefferably by topic ), to use the tools yahoo
      offers, something other than archived threads. Anyone
      want to form a working group to develope some of the
      tools available?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Carl von Einem
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
        As I have a look at Yahoo's special features... they first have to clean
        up the mess in their mails. I'm lucky that I haven't yet switched to
        digest delivery of my messages. I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.

        Please (as your favourite dictator ;-) of the list) keep the replies
        tidy, i.e. edit your mails when answering... Thanks! I can be soooo
        mean! =8-)

        And responding to your message: good idea but I guess we will have
        another wiki soon and that includes a faq and no quarterly bills :-)

        But why not? Let's try the features...

        Carl

        de gava wrote:

        > Since the list is fairly mature already at it's start
        > perhaps it would be well to pay attention to the
        > special features yahoo, the web, and computers offer.
        > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of
        > links ( prefferably by topic ), to use the tools yahoo
        > offers, something other than archived threads. Anyone
        > want to form a working group to develope some of the
        > tools available?
      • Carl von Einem
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
          one of my egos wrote:
          > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.

          ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
          much better for my eyes.
        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
            Carl von Einem wrote:
            > As I have a look at Yahoo's special features... they first have to clean
            > up the mess in their mails. I'm lucky that I haven't yet switched to
            > digest delivery of my messages. I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
            >
            > Please (as your favourite dictator ;-) of the list) keep the replies
            > tidy, i.e. edit your mails when answering...

            But *do include* what you're commenting on or no one will know what
            you're talking about.

            > Thanks! I can be soooo
            > mean! =8-)

            You big brute!

            > And responding to your message: good idea but I guess we will have
            > another wiki soon and that includes a faq and no quarterly bills :-)
            >
            > But why not? Let's try the features...Carl
            >
            > de gava wrote:
            >>
            >> Since the list is fairly mature already at it's start
            >> perhaps it would be well to pay attention to the
            >> special features yahoo, the web, and computers offer.
            >> For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of
            >> links ( prefferably by topic ), to use the tools yahoo
            >> offers, something other than archived threads. Anyone
            >> want to form a working group to develope some of the
            >> tools available?

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large
          • mickael therer
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
              ahuum,

              Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
              standards are achieved.
              email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS can read.

              Let's not buy into the marketing emphasis, less is really more here
              if we are to stick to email,, and I wish we quit the Yahoo model
              alltogether. Look at the garbage below, I couldn't even design a
              crappy sig like that even if I wanted to

              -m (flooded with emails and ranting in ascii)

              On 7/11/06, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

              > one of my egos wrote:
              > > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
              >

              > ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
              > much better for my eyes.

            • wblakesx
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
                So umm ermm, odd shift of topic.... I dunno, I dunno... ( scratches
                chin :)> you don't like Yahoo ? Well I guess the concept can be
                improved vastly and in many ways (' rather expect that!) What are we
                talking about? Arhcie and Veronica, golfer... or some usenet news
                reader? Take it to the Max max, how can we use THIS medium? open to
                observations.- de
                what an odd email. prob don mater oriculus datum, ermmmm

                Let's have a poll on pan software, each vote weighted by how much they
                favoured the tool? How about a lenses page? etc. You no doubt know or
                suspect that VR and GE* belong together, how much more will this
                convergence expose and decree? What's been going on with the wiki?
                that sounds like something important. is it?

                Anyone who knows my namesake will perhaps remember his attemps to
                enrichen the medium, in a sense he's the inventor of MTV and much
                else. What would Mozart do with the compositional/performance tools
                available? Perhaps go mad?

                I'm after the richest experience. I've thought about it for afew years
                ( sorry, low buget ) I'd like to go to DVD, cd, web. I keep tabs on
                what's happening and 'it' has a great deal further to go yet. Now with
                Digi cams getting good the web/dvd can be a fair backbone to support
                Immmersive Video.

                BTW there's a QtVR of a hanglider with wing cams as well as the
                copilot/cameraman which is well into it... Still nice to tighen
                things up , is the author about?. Who's our Hogarth?

                If one takes many pics from varying positions is it possible to create
                one pic that is higher in definition than a single shot would yeild?
                ie of the same print size?

                *Google Earth

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

                > one of my egos wrote:
                > > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
                >
                > ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
                > much better for my eyes.

              • wblakesx
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
                  Sorry , in transition and I just caught up...

                  So what sort of categories migh we want? Pans, Software, Utilility,
                  Price weighting against utiliity for various uses. Comment on Lenses,
                  camerae(?), spit it out we'll edit later.

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mickael therer" <360days@...> wrote:

                  > ahuum,
                  >
                  > Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
                  > standards are achieved.
                  > email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS
                  can read.

                  > Let's not buy into the marketing emphasis, less is really more here
                  > if we are to stick to email,, and I wish we quit the Yahoo model
                  > alltogether. Look at the garbage below, I couldn't even design a
                  > crappy sig like that even if I wanted to
                  >
                  > -m (flooded with emails and ranting in ascii)
                  >

                  > On 7/11/06, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > one of my egos wrote:
                  > > > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
                  > >

                  > > ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
                  > > much better for my eyes.

                • yuval_levy
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
                    > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...

                    Anything else?

                    For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
                    pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
                    work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
                    "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
                    the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
                    even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
                    you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
                    voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?

                    You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
                    community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
                    and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
                    google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
                    list of links and share them with us?

                    Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
                    specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
                    bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
                    deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
                    make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
                    this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
                    proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
                    you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

                    Yuv
                  • Carl von Einem
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
                      not too bad... ;-)

                      yuval_levy wrote:
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
                      >> For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...
                      >
                      > Anything else?
                      >
                      > For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
                      > pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
                      > work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
                      > "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
                      > the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
                      > even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
                      > you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
                      > voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?
                      >
                      > You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
                      > community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
                      > and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
                      > google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
                      > list of links and share them with us?
                      >
                      > Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
                      > specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
                      > bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
                      > deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
                      > make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
                      > this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
                      > proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
                      > you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.
                      >
                      > Yuv

                    • Carl von Einem
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                        One (read: Carl) should clearly read his own words again when posting to
                        the list.

                        Carl von Einem made a stupid comment:
                        > not too bad...

                        Trying to put some sense into that: I like this "welcome message" file
                        (which I didn't receive when I was approved). So "trying out the
                        features of Yahoo groups" is something I really encourage in some way. I
                        also don't like the "bells and whistles" HTMl postings as they are
                        really awful for digest readers and for the archive. I am actually used
                        to plain ascii digests and prefer those over Yahoo's web interface.

                        The FAQ asked for by "de gava" is sort of a legitimate question. So why
                        not use the according sections of our group to link to the basics?

                        OTOH Yuv has a good point in saying that the priorities lay on other
                        topics. Maybe in calmer words?

                        > yuval_levy provoked:
                        >>
                        >> You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
                        >> community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
                        >> and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
                        >> google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
                        >> list of links and share them with us?

                        Good idea: "de gava" and whoever likes to fill in some early content.
                        Post it here for others or even better: look for the appropriate section

                        >> Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
                        >> specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
                        >> bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
                        >> deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
                        >> make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
                        >> this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
                        >> proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
                        >> you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

                        Yuv is understandably a bit concerned about others trying to bring the
                        discussion away from those topics we feel to be top priority right now.
                        But then... hey, this is the "non-political" list! Keep on bringing
                        ideas! This list is brand new and needs some time to organize itself, we
                        need everyones help!

                        Carl

                        ps.
                        "de gava", do you have a name for us we can use without those quotation
                        marks? Thanks...
                      • Thomas Rauscher
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                          Hello Mickael,

                          on Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 02:16:19 you wrote:

                          mt> ahuum,

                          mt> Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
                          mt> standards are achieved.
                          mt> email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS can read.

                          Have you seen the option at "Edit Membership"
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/join ?

                          Just set the "Message Preference" to "Traditional" and you will have
                          nice ASCII emails.... ;)

                          MfG,
                          Thomas.
                        • mickael therer
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                            am I dumb, or am I dumb ?

                            thank you Thomas !

                            -m

                            --
                            http://www.360days.com
                            http://ww2panorama.org
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                              Well Shut my mouth(keyboard)

                              " Re: new forum set up
                              Posted by: "yuval_levy" yuval_levy@... [ my
                              email address is, like yours in the digest]

                              <wblakesx@...> wrote:
                              > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list
                              of...

                              "Anything else? [ yes, here was an enquiry, not a
                              statement ]

                              "For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce
                              yourself.

                              "I searched for
                              "de gava" and for your email address and came across
                              nothing vr but
                              the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many ...I
                              don't
                              even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google
                              I found out that
                              you are probably in Miami and you might have written
                              an article about
                              voting machines fraud. YahooGroups. [ and who said the
                              inquisition was dead? and this para has a peculiar
                              traducatory feel if not intent]

                              "Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome
                              message to this list -
                              specifically what is on topic and what is not. [ no
                              it is Not at all clear, and if you examine it from a
                              npov...]

                              "There is another list that
                              deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free
                              to read it and
                              make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant
                              [ wow you have a strange prose style] problems that
                              this community is currently dealing with. [ where?
                              where's the link?, are you a good mod? or a soso mod?
                              ]
                              Then make whatever
                              proposition seems sensible to you. [ after being
                              castigated for the same thing? sorta puts a damper on
                              ykwim? as does :]
                              I suspect that for the time being
                              you will not find many volunteers for your plans [ I
                              think you may have driven a few off ], but nice try
                              anyway.[ Are you a native English speaker? this kind
                              of phrase is rather jarring, like my Italian friend
                              saying to black people and jews, "you people", of
                              course he says it to everyone, but the black people
                              don't know it. I rather hope you aren't very fluent in
                              the language]

                              Sorry all. I've alienated a mod and perhaps afew
                              others. I'm getting the feeling that it is too stuffy
                              around here and I don't need this shizo treatment.
                              Perhaps I'll place a proxy here or perhaps I'll bugger
                              off. I was trying to move the group to a higher
                              ground, but I can see many here are caught up in
                              details, like close ups.
                              -David, my real name

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • de gava
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                                I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                                drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                                remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                                are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                                of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                                narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                                After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                                will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                                proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                                utilities.
                                That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                                noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                                proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                                Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                                I go there there is at least one post from the
                                ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                                page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                                dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                                navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                                and queries can be directected there.
                                As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                                make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                                a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                                other probs.
                                I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                                Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • serge Maandag (yahoo)
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                                  > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                                  > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                                  > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                                  > utilities.

                                  Off-topic will only become a problem once it gets annoying.
                                  No worries. This looks to me like something regarding a
                                  wish list for rules/regulations. That definitely belongs to
                                  the Panotools-List list :)
                                  Please join us there.

                                  > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.

                                  Yep, here is one.
                                  Welcome to the group!

                                  Serge.
                                • tflyfish2002
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                                    Man,
                                    You've got more Rabbit than Sainsbury's.
                                    Why not sign your posts and you might get taken a bit more seriously.
                                    I don't wish to start a Flame war, but the word Troll comes to mind.
                                    So correct me if I am wrong.

                                    Bazzer-- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:

                                    > I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                                    > drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                                    > remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                                    > are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                                    > of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                                    > narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                                    > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                                    > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                                    > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                                    > utilities.
                                    > That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                                    > noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                                    > proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                                    > Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                                    > I go there there is at least one post from the
                                    > ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                                    > page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                                    > dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                                    > navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                                    > and queries can be directected there.
                                    > As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                                    > make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                                    > a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                                    > other probs.
                                    > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                                    > Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  • Ian Wood
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                      (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)

                                      This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.

                                      All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                                      appropriate place:

                                      (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                                      Ian
                                    • yuval_levy
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                                        > (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)
                                        >
                                        > This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.
                                        >
                                        > All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                                        > appropriate place:
                                        >
                                        > (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                                        I think this is what Bazzer was trying to say to our exhuberant
                                        anonymous newbie and I respect Bazzer for that. We know him and we
                                        know he does not have flowers in his mouth. We know his panoramas work
                                        and we know that he is often helpful with peer support online.

                                        Not things that can be said about "de gava", who wonders why a Jew
                                        with Italian as mother tongue and four additional languages under his
                                        belt does not answer his off-topic posts and off-list provocations in
                                        which his answer to a request for panorama related credential reads
                                        like a dating ad?

                                        People who have been around in this community long enough know me and
                                        my panorama credentials. They also know that I don't have flowers in
                                        my mouth either. I rather not answer the provocation than spit fire.

                                        shiny happy people laughing.
                                        Yuv
                                      • de gava
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                          This is outrageous use of this list after the caution
                                          given by this jerk to me!!! Bipolar is my guess. Loose
                                          name dropping and putting words into other's mouths
                                          seems alittle too 'happy' for me. He has my email and
                                          is abusing the list and any staus mod or not within. I
                                          take this as a personal attack as is generally grounds
                                          for banning or a caution. And the Anti Jew Jew baiting
                                          is extemely offensive.

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Kathy Wheeler
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                            I am sure I do not need to remind the good members of this list that
                                            inflammatory posts, deliberate or otherwise, should not be responded
                                            to either on list or off.

                                            Regards,
                                            KathyW.
                                          • Flemming V. Larsen
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 14, 2006
                                              Totally agree. As a wise person once said:

                                              "Not until we understand, that deep down we really don't understand each
                                              other, we can begin to understand"

                                              so be polite and tolerant - and if you still want to bang your head on
                                              somebody try some other place - perhaps here.....;-):
                                              http://widelec.org/zidane.html

                                              - Flemming ;-)