QuickTime panoramas from Barcelona

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
      Hi all!
      A little while ago I visited the city of Barcelona for the first time
      and although I much prefer the countryside to any city I did not regret
      it at all! Now I have finally uploaded some of the (360x180) panoramas
      from that trip to my site and perhaps you'd like to see them. Please
      note that these files are all over 2.5 MB. Thumbnails that give access
      to the .mov's can be found at the bottom of this page:
      http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/fullscreen-english.htm
      I have some more that still need to be processed, but I think I first
      should do something about that website itself. Adding Flash, SPi-V and
      Deval-VR versions, some order, and certainly some textual information
      about these images and places is something I shouldn't postpone
      anylonger.
      My problem is I like making those images sooooo much more than
      struggling with all that incomprehensible code....
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
        On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 03:33:22 +0900, erik leeman <erik.leeman@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all!
        > A little while ago I visited the city of Barcelona for the first time
        > and although I much prefer the countryside to any city I did not regret
        > it at all! Now I have finally uploaded some of the (360x180) panoramas
        > from that trip to my site and perhaps you'd like to see them. Please
        > note that these files are all over 2.5 MB. Thumbnails that give access
        > to the .mov's can be found at the bottom of this page:
        > http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/fullscreen-english.htm
        > I have some more that still need to be processed, but I think I first
        > should do something about that website itself. Adding Flash, SPi-V and
        > Deval-VR versions, some order, and certainly some textual information
        > about these images and places is something I shouldn't postpone
        > anylonger.
        > My problem is I like making those images sooooo much more than
        > struggling with all that incomprehensible code....

        It was a pleasure to revisit your beautiful panoramas, some of them among
        the most memorable I have ever seen, and to enjoy the latest from
        Barcelona.

        It is impressive how many of them work not only as immersive images
        viewed with QuickTime but also as flat "prints" (your thumbnails).
        I was producing flat panoramas for years before I got into immersive
        viewing, so I appreciate this, and how difficult it is.

        I was particularly impressed with the treatment of light and shade in
        Carrer de les Trompetes. You may well have used HDR techniques to
        compress the obviously very wide dynamic range, but if so there is
        none of the "artificial" atmosphere that often spoils HDR images for
        me. I find tone mapping realistically quite difficult. However you
        did it, and even if it does leave the very brightest areas over
        exposed, the overall impression is VERY realistic. On my screen, at
        least, the darkest shadow areas are just discernable, and the brightest
        look as dazzling as I am sure they would have been to someone standing
        there and looking around. This is the immersive panorama at its best!

        I think this is also the first time I have seen the inside of Segrada
        Familia (here again, the "print" is a beautiful image in its own right).

        I was a little surprised at the size of the image files. Many would
        not use such large files for images this size, but if that's what it
        takes to retain the beautifully rendered details and lack of artifacts,
        then who could complain? Each one is well worth the wait.

        Technically, of course, they are at the very highest level, but it is
        the artistic/photographic quality that blows me away.

        By all means try to add a few notes and some other viewing options.
        But even as it is, the site is plendid! And well worth multiple
        visits. I shall be back!

        Roger

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
        Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
          Beautifully composed and exposed works Erik..

          I especially like how you've restricted the fov and kept the images very
          sharp at minimum FOV.

          Your 1024 chromeless still doesn't quite fit within my 1024x768 monitor.
          little detail. FYI

          Thanks for share those..

          chris

          Chris Thomas

          Photographer

          cell... 403-615-1212

          In North America

          call... 1-800-870-5110

          A little while ago I visited the city of Barcelona for the first time
          and although I much prefer the countryside to any city I did not regret
          it at all! Now I have finally uploaded some of the (360x180) panoramas
          from that trip to my site and perhaps you'd like to see them. Please
          note that these files are all over 2.5 MB. Thumbnails that give access
          to the .mov's can be found at the bottom of this page:
          http://www.erikleem <http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/fullscreen-english.htm>
          an.com/QT/fullscreen-english.htm
          snip

          .

          d=8885/stime=1176921352/nc1=3848542/nc2=3848643/nc3=4025308>

        • erik leeman
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 19, 2007
            Thank you very much for your appreciation and compliments!
            If you'd like to see the (rough and edited) equirectangulars and/or
            some (technical) information you can always have a look at my Flickr
            stream by using this link:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/

            I promise I will do my best to improve the presentation of the images
            on
            my site : )