Press Release

  • Yuval Levy
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 12 8:01 AM
      For immediate release.

      MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
      night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
      revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
      was good news for panoramic photography.

      This is the biggest Summer of Code ever and Google has shown tremendous
      generosity by massively increasing the number of accepted applicants -
      from 600 (last year) to 800 (this year's budget), then to 900 during
      preliminary allocation to end up at "over 900 from a pool of over 3,000
      student and nearly 6,200 applications". [1]

      Following up on an idea of Pablo d'Angelo (the initiator of hugin),
      Yuval Levy set in motion a team effort to build a mentoring organization
      [2] with recognized experts from the community and beyond.

      This community effort [3] was recognized by Google who accepted the
      hugin/panotools bid to be one of 131 accredited mentoring organization
      (out of over 300 applications) in the same league as established open
      source projects such as MySQL, Mozilla, Drupal and FreeBSD.

      The following projects are scheduled for completition by August 31 [4]:

      Pedro Alonso from Spain, mentored by Herbert Bay from Switzerland, will
      develop a new algorythm to identify better control points, so critical
      to the stitching process [5]

      Ippei Ukai from Japan currently in Scotland, mentored by Yuval Levy from
      Israel currently in Canada, will produce a new user interface to make
      this versatile tools even easier to use on multiple platforms
      (Windows/Mac/Linux/Unix) [6]

      Jing Jin from USA, mentored by Pablo d'Angelo from Germany, will develop
      a robust blending algorithm to eliminate ghosting in HDR panoramas to
      widen the range of applications for the HDR technique beyond the
      perfectly still scenes [7]

      Mohammad Shahiduzzaman from Bangladesh, mentored by John Cupitt from UK,
      will look at the current bottleneck in panorama rendering to enable
      efficient processing of very large images [8]

      Leon Monctezuma from Mexico, mentored by Aldo Hoeben from The
      Netherlands, will build on the community effort started last year to
      produce a modern, native, universal VR viewer to support the widest
      variety of panorama formats on multiple platforms [9]

      "Each of these projects has the potential to have a big impact on how we
      make and use panoramas and I am thankful to Google for this great
      opportunity and to all those community members who participated actively
      in the inception of this initiative." said a visibly happy Yuval Levy.
      "Please welcome these student's contribution to the community and
      support them with all means you can afford".

      A number of community support initiatives are planned throughout the
      summer. Current open source code contributors can contribute over the
      established developers mailing lists [10],[11],[12],[13]

      ABOUT HUGIN

      hugin is the most advanced open source panorama stitching solution with
      unique features such as embedded chromatic aberration correction and HDR
      stitching. Initiated by Pablo d'Angelo, it is further developed and
      supported by a wide community of open source developers and panorama
      enthusiasts. [14],[15]

      ABOUT PANOTOOLS

      panotools is the most versatile open source collection of tools for
      perspective manipulation. Initially developed by Helmut Dersch in 1998,
      it is currently supported by open source developers and used by a number
      of commercial photo stitching products. [16],[17]

      ABOUT GOOGLE SUMMER OF CODE TM

      Google Summer of Code TM is a program that offers student developers
      stipends to write code for various open source projects. Google works
      with several open source, free software and technology-related groups to
      identify and fund several projects over a three month period. [18],[19]

      ABOUT GOOGLE INC.

      Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people
      around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford
      Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web
      property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising
      program, which is the largest and fastest growing in the industry,
      provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while
      enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered
      in Silicon Valley with offices throughout North America, Europe, and
      Asia. For more information, visit [20].

      LINKS

      [1] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/about.html>
      [2] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_application>
      [3] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters>
      [4] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729>
      [5] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=7C5ED822CD597EB1>
      [6] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=E3AF6F5D4085A144>
      [7] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=D94EFD474FA52C37>
      [8] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=96B84CC76EDE0DBB>
      [9] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=A56B2DB4C8B876F0>
      [10] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Discussion_lists>
      [12] <http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx>
      [14] <http://hugin.sourceforge.net/>
      [15] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin>
      [16] <http://panotools.sourceforge.net/>
      [17] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools>
      [18] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60266&topic=10726>
      [19] <http://code.google.com/soc/>
      [20] <http://www.google.com/>

      --
      Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 12 5:55 PM
        Thank you Yuval and everyone involved who manage to get so many projects
        accepted by Googles summer of Code.

        --
        Jim Watters

        Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • Andrew Crawford
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 12 8:25 PM
          Yuval Levy wrote:
          > For immediate release.
          >
          > MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
          > night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
          > revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
          > was good news for panoramic photography.

          > Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

          Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

          Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
          so that we can point non-list-members at it?

          Andrew Crawford
        • Andrew Crawford
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 12 8:30 PM
            Andrew Crawford wrote:
            > Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

            > Andrew Crawford

            Er ... of course, I intended to write "thank you so much for
            *spearheading* this for the community." No slight to the others who
            helped with this intended.

            Andrew Crawford
          • Yuval Levy
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 12 9:00 PM
              Andrew Crawford wrote:
              >> Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

              > Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
              > so that we can point non-list-members at it?

              no need to post it on the wiki. non-members can look at it:

              Yuv

              --
              Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
              Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup