Can't decide: Peleng or MC Zenitar?

  • Andrei Zdetovetchi
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 27 1:16 AM
      Hi there,

      I'm trying to acquire fisheye lenses for my Canon EOS 350D. Since I don't have much to spend, I was attracted by Peleng. But I also found the Zenitar lenses and after reading details about those two, I'm not sure witch one is better for panos.
      Zenitar: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/zenitar-fisheye-canon-eos.htm
      Peleng: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/peleng_fisheye_lens_for_canon_eos.htm

      What do you think?
      I wanted to go for Peleng, I even ordered from kievcamera.com, but I got no response. I wrote to Michael Fourman but he's not answering... :(
      So, I started to look for another seller, I came across the Zenitar and my dillema poped up.

      Thank you,
      Andrei Zdetovetchi
    • Andrey Ilyin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 27 1:30 AM
        Andrei,

        With Zenitar (great lens btw) you will need to shoot two-rows + nadir
        and zenith, something like 18 shots. Peleng will let you cover the
        sphere in 4 around + tiny patches in the top and bottom (with much
        lower resolution, naturally).

        Zenitar -> high quality panos, slow workflow.
        Peleng -> lower quality (acceptable in most of cases), fast workflow,
        suffers from flare.

        Andrey
      • PanoViews - Th Krueger
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 27 1:32 AM
          On 27.07.2006 10:16:44, Andrei Zdetovetchi (zdeto@...) wrote:
          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm trying to acquire fisheye lenses for my Canon EOS 350D. Since I don't
          > have much to spend, I was attracted by Peleng. But I also found the
          > Zenitar lenses and after reading details about those two,
          > I'm not sure witch one is better for panos.
          > Zenitar: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/zenitar-fisheye-canon-eos.htm
          > Peleng: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/peleng_fisheye_lens_for_canon_eos.htm

          Zenitar: The Zenitar is a full format fisheye, not suitable for your 350D.

          Peleng: You will get an ugly white border if you have very bright
          highlights in your scene. Perhaps you can ask Mr. Wiese from
          http://www.wiese-fototechnik.de if he is able to modify the Peleng.

          So at last there is always the Sigma 8mm....

          Thomas
        • Nicola Graverini
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 27 1:41 AM
            Andrei Zdetovetchi ha scritto:
            > Hi there,
            >
            > I'm trying to acquire fisheye lenses for my Canon EOS 350D. Since I don't have much to spend, I was attracted by Peleng. But I also found the Zenitar lenses and after reading details about those two, I'm not sure witch one is better for panos.
            > Zenitar: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/zenitar-fisheye-canon-eos.htm
            > Peleng: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/peleng_fisheye_lens_for_canon_eos.htm
            >
            > What do you think?
            > I wanted to go for Peleng, I even ordered from kievcamera.com, but I got no response. I wrote to Michael Fourman but he's not answering... :(
            > So, I started to look for another seller, I came across the Zenitar and my dillema poped up.

            Hi,
            don't know about zenitar
            these are done with the peleng
            http://www.sottolinea.com/internet/virtuali/calamoresca_qt.htm
            http://www.sottolinea.com/internet/virtuali/ponte_buriano_tour_qt.htm
            http://www.sottolinea.com/internet/virtuali/faraglioni_qt.htm

            Ciao,
            Nicola
          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 27 2:16 AM
              PanoViews - Th Krueger wrote:
              > On 27.07.2006 10:16:44, Andrei Zdetovetchi (zdeto@...) wrote:
              >> Hi there,
              >>
              >> I'm trying to acquire fisheye lenses for my Canon EOS 350D. Since I don't
              >> have much to spend, I was attracted by Peleng. But I also found the
              >> Zenitar lenses and after reading details about those two,
              >> I'm not sure witch one is better for panos.
              >> Zenitar: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/zenitar-fisheye-canon-eos.htm
              >> Peleng:
              >> http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/peleng_fisheye_lens_for_canon_eos.htm
              >>
              > Zenitar: The Zenitar is a full format fisheye, not suitable for your 350D.

              On the contrary the Zenitar 16mm is a full frame fisheye that some say
              is better than the Canon 15mm full frame fisheye. I own one and it's a
              *great* lens. As Erik said it takes 8 shots at +-30° plus the Z&N.

              > Peleng: You will get an ugly white border if you have very bright
              > highlights in your scene. Perhaps you can ask Mr. Wiese from
              > http://www.wiese-fototechnik.de if he is able to modify the Peleng.

              The Peleng 8mm is a circular fisheye that allows you to do a spherical
              pano with 4 shots plus the Z&N but it suffers when the Sun (or other
              light sources) hit the front element. The "ugly white border" noted
              above is easily removed when you set the crop circle in PTGui.

              With the Zenitar make sure you get it with a native EOS mount so you
              don't have any adapter problems. I believe I've seen a Peleng with a
              native EOS mount (but I can't find one right now). If you get one with
              the standard M42 mount you'll also get a M42 to EOS adapter and the
              quality of these adapters varies *wildly.* Make sure you can exchange
              the one you get for a different brand (if the lens is soft).

              Mikhail Fourman at Kiev Camera is an honest dealer who may be out of
              town when you wrote (have you tried calling him?). You can get the
              Zenitar for $119 and the Peleng for $219 from Kiev Camera (through eBay
              http://tinyurl.com/no33w and http://tinyurl.com/rumqc) and that's a
              *LOT* cheaper than rugift.com above.

              Just for the record: I have *NO* association with either Mikhail or
              Kiev Camera.

              > So at last there is always the Sigma 8mm....
              >
              > Thomas

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • mike@panoclub.de
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 27 4:59 AM
                Hi Andrei,

                the Peleng is worth it's price. It's not very well build, it suffers from flare and I personally would avoid using it with apperatures wider than 1/8. But you will be able you produce nice panoramas.

                I would only go for the Zenitar, if very high resolution ist a must. I find it usable at F4, it's sharper than the Peleng and a 18 images panorama will naturally beat a 4 or 6 images panorama in terms of resolution.

                But the Peleng is much more flexible. 4 shots are enough and this allows you to use a monopod or a very small equipment with a very simple panohead (or you can try it freehand). Using the Zenitar means to always take the tripod and a more complex panohead (rotate and tilt around no-parallaxe-point) and it's hard doing panoramas showing a lot of people.

                mike

                > What do you think?
                > I wanted to go for Peleng, I even ordered from kievcamera.com, but I got no response. I wrote to Michael Fourman but he's not answering... :(
                > So, I started to look for another seller, I came across the Zenitar and my dillema poped up.
                >
                > Thank you,
                > Andrei Zdetovetchi
              • Andrei Zdetovetchi
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 27 5:20 AM
                  Hi again,

                  Thank you all, who helped me with this issue. It becamed more clear to me, the differences between Peleng and Zenitar.
                  I will remain to my choice for Peleng, because I need to increase my productivity and speed.
                  At this moment I am using my Canon's default lenses of 18-55 mm and I have to take 32 shots to cover a spherical panorama. It is really a lot of pictures, and the only advantage is the high resolution for the produced panorama. And while I can shoot those 32 pictures in about 5 minutes, I am spending hours of postprocessing/stitching/rendering. The results are ok but if I don't have the nodal point properly set, I get more stitching errors for those 32 pics than for 8 pics taken with a fisheye.

                  Later I think I'll get the Zenitar too, because it's cheap and 18 pictures sounds better than 32, for a high resolution panorama ;)

                  Now... only if Kievcamera guy would take my order serioursly... I hope to get this lenses before the middle of august, I will go on vacation, and I'm planning to make many panos... and 32 photos for a pano are not an option... :P

                  Thanks again,
                  Andrei Z.
                • Nicola Graverini
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 27 5:28 AM
                    Andrei Zdetovetchi ha scritto:
                    > Hi again,
                    >
                    > Thank you all, who helped me with this issue. It becamed more clear to me, the differences between Peleng and Zenitar.
                    > I will remain to my choice for Peleng, because I need to increase my productivity and speed.
                    > At this moment I am using my Canon's default lenses of 18-55 mm and I have to take 32 shots to cover a spherical panorama. It is really a lot of pictures, and the only advantage is the high resolution for the produced panorama. And while I can shoot those 32 pictures in about 5 minutes, I am spending hours of postprocessing/stitching/rendering. The results are ok but if I don't have the nodal point properly set, I get more stitching errors for those 32 pics than for 8 pics taken with a fisheye.
                    >
                    > Later I think I'll get the Zenitar too, because it's cheap and 18 pictures sounds better than 32, for a high resolution panorama ;)
                    >
                    > Now... only if Kievcamera guy would take my order serioursly... I hope to get this lenses before the middle of august, I will go on vacation, and I'm planning to make many panos... and 32 photos for a pano are not an option... :P
                    >
                    > Thanks again,
                    > Andrei Z.

                    I bought mine from ebay... it took a month or more to arrive....

                    Ciao,
                    Nicola
                  • Isaac Garcia
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 27 9:34 AM
                      I got mine on ebay and took about a week and a half

                      The revolution will be blogged
                      Variato delectat
                      ¿Te gusta rodar? http://www.gdcpueblonuevo.org

                      > Now... only if Kievcamera guy would take my order serioursly... I hope to get this lenses before the middle of august, I will go on vacation, and I'm planning to make many panos... and 32 photos for a pano are not an option... :P
                      >
                      > Thanks again,
                      > Andrei Z.

                      I bought mine from ebay... it took a month or more to arrive....

                      Ciao,
                      Nicola

                    • diallery
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 27 12:19 PM
                        I bought mine from ebay too. Normally I'm very happy with it. Only
                        when the sun shines directly on the lens it has a big flare. Two of my
                        wwp garden panos did not work because of the flare.

                        For this little money it is a bargain, I paid 184€.

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Isaac Garcia <coletassoft@...> wrote:

                        > I got mine on ebay and took about a week and a half
                        >

                        > The revolution will be blogged
                        > Variato delectat
                        > ¿Te gusta rodar? http://www.gdcpueblonuevo.org

                      • Roger D. Williams
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 27 5:46 PM
                          On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:16:44 +0900, Andrei Zdetovetchi
                          <zdeto@...> wrote:

                          > Hi there,
                          >
                          > I'm trying to acquire fisheye lenses for my Canon EOS 350D. Since I
                          > don't have much to spend, I was attracted by Peleng. But I also found
                          > the Zenitar lenses and after reading details about those two, I'm not
                          > sure witch one is better for panos.
                          > Zenitar: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/zenitar-fisheye-canon-eos.htm
                          > Peleng:
                          > http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/peleng_fisheye_lens_for_canon_eos.htm
                          >
                          > What do you think?
                          > I wanted to go for Peleng, I even ordered from kievcamera.com, but I got
                          > no response. I wrote to Michael Fourman but he's not answering... :(
                          > So, I started to look for another seller, I came across the Zenitar and
                          > my dillema poped up.

                          I personally would not deal again with Michael Fourman, although others
                          seem to have had better experiences. There are plenty of other sources for
                          the Zenitar. The Peleng is not quite so common. Only buy new, and from a
                          company that will exchange if you get a dud.

                          I possess both lenses, and in my experience the Zenitar has better
                          resolution,
                          greater resistance to flare, and better colour rendering than the Peleng.
                          It
                          will also give you more pixels in the final panorama image at the expense
                          of
                          requiring more shots--and more stitching--to create it. I used the Zenitar
                          quite a lot for non-panoramic shots. It's a very nice lens.

                          Since the Zenitar is roughly half the cost of the Peleng I would recommend
                          the former UNLESS you really want to minimize stitching.

                          The above experience is from full-frame 35mm film, for which I used four
                          Peleng and six Zenitar shots, no zenith or nadir. With your Canon 350D and
                          its 1.6 FL factor, you would obviously need more...

                          Roger

                          --
                          Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                        • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 28 1:39 AM
                            I got mine also from Ebay and I waited about 3 weeks, I called the
                            seller in the USA and I was told that the reason was, that they had
                            run out of stock.
                            The only problem is that the manual it came with it was in Russian,
                            no English translation. I sent an email to Mihkael asking if there
                            was and English manual and the answer I got from him was that I
                            could find it on their web page.
                            I already had seen their website and notice that the manual as
                            stated in brackets(russian)indeed was in russian so I sent another
                            email to Mihkael, pointing out that it was only in their native
                            language, and I never hear anything back from him again.

                            Does any of you guys have an English translated manual, that
                            describe the proper use of the lens, that I could have a copy of?
                            Pau very kindly sent me one but it was a leaflet describing the lens.

                            Apart from that the lens work fine, sharp images if flare prone. I
                            have had comments that it is sharper than the Sigma 8.

                            kind regards,

                            Rodrigo
                          • Flemming V. Larsen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 29 9:51 AM
                              I've bought Peleng lenses twice from from Vladimir Gritsuk [Belshop -
                              situated in Belarus as I recall]
                              http://www.geocities.com/belshop/content2.html -
                              It some time ago, but both times it was swift delivery (most time
                              waiting for clearance at custom!) - and if you live in Romania it
                              you're even closer than me liveng un Denmark.

                              I've learned to live with the flares....
                              se samples and tests here
                              http://fvlmedia.dk/d70peleng/

                              - Flemming
                            • Flemming V. Larsen

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 29 10:40 AM
                                  Hi Flemming,

                                  Thanks for sharing your experience with Peleng. Nice panos you have there... ;)

                                  I wanted to order it from the Belshop, but when I click on the "add to cart" links, I get an error from the CCNOW that sais "Product ID: 02 is not on file". So I kinda lost my faith in Vladimir's Belshop geocities site. Then I saw in the bottom (c) 2000, and 6 years means a lot on the internet. If you don't keep your site updated, surely can't last long.
                                  Anyway, scouting again on the e-bay, I found another russian seller... Moscowphoto, and got in touch with the guy, ordered and today I've sent him the money by Western Union. I just hate it when I can't order by cards (Paypal doesn't work with Romania). Now I am waiting... and hope I won't get cheated! :)

                                  Best regards,
                                  Andrei

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 29 7:01 PM
                                    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:51:21 +0900, Flemming V. Larsen
                                    <fvl@...> wrote:

                                    > I've bought Peleng lenses twice from from Vladimir Gritsuk [Belshop -
                                    > situated in Belarus as I recall]
                                    > http://www.geocities.com/belshop/content2.html -
                                    > It some time ago, but both times it was swift delivery (most time
                                    > waiting for clearance at custom!) - and if you live in Romania it
                                    > you're even closer than me liveng un Denmark.
                                    >
                                    > I've learned to live with the flares....
                                    > se samples and tests here
                                    > http://fvlmedia.dk/d70peleng/

                                    Fleming, I was familiar with the wonderful panoramas you took with your
                                    D70 and Peleng, and indeed they were one reason why I bought a Peleng
                                    of my own. I have been very pleased with the results, all taken on
                                    film with my Bessaflex M42 SLR. Now I hope to improve on these results
                                    with the Nikon 10.5mm... and a D200.

                                    Oh yes, I also bought mine from him.

                                    If it's not being too inquisitive, I wonder why there is a two-year gap
                                    between those original panoramas, all taken over a few months in 2004,
                                    and the most recent one?

                                    Roger W.

                                    --
                                    Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                  • Yiorgos Teo
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 30 4:52 AM
                                      Peleng works nicely on the 350D. Flare can be
                                      a problem, but there's an easy way around it.
                                      When I shoot a pano, I normally take 4 shots
                                      at 90 degrees. When the sun is in the frame,
                                      I take extra shots at 45 degrees as well.
                                      This way you can select the shots with the least
                                      flare or you have enough overlap to mask flared
                                      regions. Works well for me:

                                      http://tinyurl.com/ffvyf

                                      For those in the EU, there's a guy in Germany
                                      selling Peleng lenses on Ebay. About $20 more than
                                      direct from Belarus or Russia, but no customs.
                                      Unfortunately he uses very cheap M42-EOS adapters and
                                      the lens does not focus properly. I suggest you buy
                                      the M42 version of the lens and buy a Jolos adapter
                                      separately.

                                      Yiorgos

                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrei Zdetovetchi <zdeto@...>