Pro Epson 3800 w/ColorBurst RIP (Limited to Epson Paper-Not)

  • davedoughman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2007
      The printer is limited to 37.25 inch prints length by Epson - unless
      they do a software/firmware update some day. Until then, a RIP is
      needed to make longer prints. By buying the Epson/ColorBurst version
      of the 3800 ($200) more you can print longer panos. The RIP is limited
      to profiles for Epson papers only - but you can use other papers with
      some experimenting with paper/profile combinations

      I use photoshop CS3 to set the print size with bicubic smoother and
      resolution @240 - 360dpi for a 17 x 72 pano file (or what ever size
      I'm printing). Then open the ColorBurst RIP to print the pano.
      Printing a 17 x 72 takes nearly an hour

      My computer is 4 years old using a 1.4 gig processer and 1 gig of ram
      but handles things OK - more ram never hurts

      Before using your roll paper - cut it a few inches longer than the
      final print length then use a paper decurler (reverse roll the paper
      on to a PVC tube about 1.5" in diamater to take most of the curl out
      of the paper before printing) Be sure to have room behind the printer
      for the paper. I let mine fall to the floor from the table holding the
      printer. Be sure the paper is cut cleanly at 90 degrees and carefully
      hand fed into the back sheet feeder or the printer will tell you it's
      not feeding correctly (Skew Error) Best to do this before starting the
      RIP.

      I've tried a few more papers and really like the image quality I get
      using MOAB Entrada Natural with the ColorBurst Epson Velvet 1440
      profile from ColorBurst/Epson RIP

      Setting the printer to print in one direction only seems to slightly
      improve resolution so I'll try that with my next pano but will
      lengthen print times.

      Will soon order a roll of Epson/Crane Textured Fine Art paper and see
      how that looks in a large pano format.

      I live in southern Utah go to the fantastic state and national parks
      in that area to take my panos and always eager to take a few more, and
      take them again with different light, better clouds, etc.