Viewpoint virtual tour

  • dtonnes
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4 4:17 PM
      Real estate developers have asked if I can produce a virtual tour like this
      one:

      http://www.keolalai.com/Flash/ (click 'building tour')

      Looks to me like they used a combination of aerial photos and 3D models, and
      perhaps used software called "Enliven" to put everything together:

      http://developer.viewpoint.com/dc/index.shtml

      Has anyone here done something like this? Seems like a natural extension
      for those of us who do virtual tour work.

      Dave

    • Robert Reese - Georgia Real Tours
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4 8:42 PM
        >Real estate developers have asked if I can produce a virtual tour like
        >this
        >one:
        >
        >http://www.keolalai.com/Flash/ (click 'building tour')
        >
        >Looks to me like they used a combination of aerial photos and 3D models,
        >and
        >perhaps used software called "Enliven" to put everything together:
        >
        >http://developer.viewpoint.com/dc/index.shtml
        >
        >Has anyone here done something like this? Seems like a natural extension
        >for those of us who do virtual tour work.

        Oy, what a terrible website, of what of it works anyway. So far this isn't anything I'd be proud to show my clients. Viewpoint then has the audacity to tell me the best standards-compliant browser for the Windows platform, Opera 9.1 is *not* standards-compliant! I've sent off a challenge to them to explain themselves. There's really no excuse for this...

        Okay, so I'm going to try with Firefox... The website offers an outdated viewpoint plugin (3 versions behind). Viewpoint's website finally (after mucking about a bit) allows you to download the latest version.

        It looks as if it is just Google Sketch-Up or other similar 2D/3D rendering software. It appears that Enliven merely bundles it from imports then displays it with a Flash-similar look and feel. Honestly, it looks like a Flash wannabe with a specialization in 3D. And, quite frankly, it has the look and feel of a child's video game rather than a real place. On the bright side, the water looked inviting. It also costs less than Google SketchUp Pro 6. (Get this... if you want to try out SketchUp Pro6 before shelling out $500, you get to try it out for a *whole* 8 hours!! Woot!)

        So, AFAICT, find yourself a nice 3D rendering software that won't break the bank, do a polar conversion, and use the tools you already have. Then do a Google SketchUp <http://sketchup.google.com/>. IMSI has a nice Google SketchUp add-on program called TurboSketch Studio. $69 through Friday April 6th, then the price goes to $99. I haven't used it, but the Flash demo looks promising.

        TurboSketch Studio
        Call 1-800-833-8082 with promo code 309307

        For PC: http://www.imsisoft.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcid=422&cid=309307

        For Mac: http://www.imsisoft.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcid=428&cid=309307

        Cheers,
        Robert~

        _________________________
        Georgia Real Tours, Inc.
        2907-i #308 Watson Blvd.
        Warner Robins, Georgia 31093
        Middle GA: 478-599-1300
        Metro ATL: 678-438-6955
        F@X: 866-355-3720
        _________________________
        http://www.garealtours.com/
      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 1:09 AM
          On 4 Apr 2007 at 16:17, dtonnes wrote:

          > Real estate developers have asked if I can produce a virtual tour like this
          > one:
          >
          > http://www.keolalai.com/Flash/ (click 'building tour')
          >
          > Looks to me like they used a combination of aerial photos and 3D models, and
          > perhaps used software called "Enliven" to put everything together:
          >
          > http://developer.viewpoint.com/dc/index.shtml
          >
          > Has anyone here done something like this? Seems like a natural extension
          > for those of us who do virtual tour work.

          I used to use VET many years ago, trying to convince a client to use it for a project. At
          that time it was PC only, and carried a silly licensing fee, so I never managed to
          convince the client. Used HotMedia from IBM (remember them?) instead.

          Making such projects may seem like a natural extension to vt work, but it may be more of
          a natural extension to 3D work to do vt? Making such a 3D highrise and surroundings isn't
          something you just do from scratch in a day or two, although SketchUp makes it both much
          easier and much more fun :)
          But joining those two worlds is definitely a natural thing to do IMHO..

          Making a 3D model from 2-3 aerial photos could be done with programs like SketchUp (only
          Pro have PhotoMatching?), ImageModeler, PhotoModeler, Canoma (if you can find it - it was
          bought and killed by Adobe many years ago...)
          The interactive 3D views would not need to be pre-rendered, as VET has a quite good
          "renderer". At the time it was released (8-9 years ago?) the quality was outstanding.
          Putting 3D models inside panoramas is quite easy, but it prevents moving the camera
          around, because once the camera is not in the center of the sphere (or cube) you lose the
          illusion. Panning and tilting works fine though, and small (or fast) camera movements
          saved as fixed animations.
          My last contribution to the wwp contains 3D elements (exhaust and greenhouses). I don't
          know how to make a workable link to it before the event is opened, but here is a link to
          a small animation rendered with the pano as a background.
          http://bknilssen.no/pano/eksosC2.MOV
          Here is a link to a pano with 3D houses http://bknilssen.no/pano/pFagertun02Bs.mov
          showing the view from a balcony.
          And here is an animation with pano and 3D models where I both rotate and move the camera
          inside the panocube inside the panosphere. You can see that the ground slips.
          http://bknilssen.no/video/kubetur03.mov (12MB)
          --
          Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
        • dtonnes
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5 3:55 PM
            Very nice examples Bjørn. Especially impressive was the view from the
            house's balcony. I was fooled at first - I didn't realize that the house
            and balcony were rendered! What software tools did you use to create this?
            How long did it take to make the model?

            The Viewpoint solution doesn't seem ideal, if only because it requires a
            (somewhat) obscure plugin, with some people even claiming it's "spyware".
            For things like a flythru, one could just export it to a Flash movie
            instead, but as technically neat as a flythru is, I don't think many
            potential buyers of a condo would be too interested in it; they're more
            interested in what the view will look like from their condo. This is what
            the developer has asked me to do, to show potential clients what their views
            will look like. If one could do a good job of showing this it would
            probably be a hit, especially now that housing sales have cooled off and
            developers need to work harder on their marketing.

            Incidentally, I did this for a developer a couple of years ago. It was
            instrumental in their getting approval for the project because they needed
            zoning variances - the buildings were taller than local codes allowed and
            the regulators wanted to see how this affected the neighborhood. I shot
            photos of the building model (oriented correctly in the sun), and placed it
            in a series of aerial photos and ground-based panos:

            http://www.panaviz.com/customers/waipahu-housing/

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6 1:32 AM
              On 5 Apr 2007 at 15:55, dtonnes wrote:

              > Very nice examples Bjørn. Especially impressive was the view from the
              > house's balcony. I was fooled at first - I didn't realize that the house
              > and balcony were rendered! What software tools did you use to create this?
              > How long did it take to make the model?

              Thanks :)
              I used SketchUp for most of the modelling, and LightWave for rendering. I have a plugin
              that renders a spherical pano directly, but unfortunately it doesn't save the alpha
              channel, so I rendered as 6 cubes with alpha and assembled them in PTgui, one for image
              and one for mask, and composited in PS. I guess it took a day or two to make the model?
              But it was a 2-step process where I first made 3D models and surroundingss for the local
              building authoritites, and some months later when it was time to sell them I made the
              view and a few other shots, with a few changes to the buildings. The client wanted just a
              view, but was happy with a pano with a view too ;)

              > The Viewpoint solution doesn't seem ideal, if only because it requires a
              > (somewhat) obscure plugin, with some people even claiming it's "spyware".
              > For things like a flythru, one could just export it to a Flash movie
              > instead, but as technically neat as a flythru is, I don't think many
              > potential buyers of a condo would be too interested in it; they're more
              > interested in what the view will look like from their condo. This is what
              > the developer has asked me to do, to show potential clients what their views
              > will look like. If one could do a good job of showing this it would
              > probably be a hit, especially now that housing sales have cooled off and
              > developers need to work harder on their marketing.

              I agree. Developers and real estate agents seems to be most interested in views, even
              though it isn't always that great..
              In your case you coul shoot a few panos from a tall crane (or kite, balloon or model
              heli?) to get the views, and then eventually add the 3D models if needed?

              I lost faith in VET years ago. It looked like it should be able to take over for VRML,
              but ended up as just another 3D object browser.
              If I should make a fully interactive, animatable 3D model with full camera movement
              possibility today I think I would have used Wirefusion (also Java). But SketchUp comes
              with a free viewer program that allows clients to walk around in the models, or to play
              pre-recorded fly-throughs etc. Works very well, but doesn't allow you to protect your
              model from copying/stealing.. It should be possible to export to LW, render with GI and
              bake the textures to the model and then import back into SketchUp and use it for a
              naturally lit walkthrough, instead of the normal sketchy look..

              > Incidentally, I did this for a developer a couple of years ago. It was
              > instrumental in their getting approval for the project because they needed
              > zoning variances - the buildings were taller than local codes allowed and
              > the regulators wanted to see how this affected the neighborhood. I shot
              > photos of the building model (oriented correctly in the sun), and placed it
              > in a series of aerial photos and ground-based panos:

              Thats' a nice job. Are they really physical models, with trees and cars etc?