Defishing Canon Fullframe

  • spacecowboy360
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
      Is there any method to de-fish a Canon Full frame fisheye image for
      windows xp?
      I would like to be able to do this to make patching the Nadir a little
      easier.

      SpaceC
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "spacecowboy360"
        <spacecowboy360@...> wrote:

        > Is there any method to de-fish a Canon Full frame fisheye image for
        > windows xp?

        I use the same method that I use for all the other images of the
        panorama - PTGui.

        John
      • Philip Scott
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
          There is PTLens which will somewhat improve the image. I have started using this one for my non-Nikon lenses (I use Capture NX for Nikon 10.5mm)
          http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

          Let us know how it works out.

          Is there any method to de-fish a Canon Full frame fisheye image for

          windows xp?

          I would like to be able to do this to make patching the Nadir a little

          easier.

          SpaceC

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
            On 5 Apr 2007, at 00:24, Philip Scott wrote:

            > There is PTLens which will somewhat improve the image. I have
            > started using this one for my non-Nikon lenses (I use Capture NX
            > for Nikon 10.5mm)
            > http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp
            >
            > Let us know how it works out.

            PTLens will correct for distortion, chromatic aberration etc. but it
            doesn't do any changes of correction from what I can remember.

            Ian
          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
              On 5 Apr 2007, at 07:58, Ian Wood wrote:

              > PTLens will correct for distortion, chromatic aberration etc. but it
              > doesn't do any changes of correction from what I can remember.

              Doh! No changes of *projection*, i.e. from fisheye to rectilinear
              (defishing).

              Ian
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 at 16:43, spacecowboy360 wrote:

                > Is there any method to de-fish a Canon Full frame fisheye image for
                > windows xp?
                > I would like to be able to do this to make patching the Nadir a little
                > easier.

                Barry, if you have your lens parameters saved it's as easy as that:
                choose this parameters for the input image, choose rectilinear for
                output, adjust the FoV to your liking, create. However, it is not
                necessary to defish prior to nadir stitching. See
                http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots for details.

                best regards

                --
                Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
                Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                  Thanks Guys, using PTGUI works very well. Now all I have to do is
                  work out the correct output size proportions since I am cropping from
                  a fisheye circle in PTGUi to a Rectilinear, but I have it near enough.
                  The reason that I want to do this is that it makes using the warp tool
                  in photoshop to correct the Nadir from the bottom QTVR cube much easier.

                  Barry Foster

                  <spacecowboy360@...> wrote:

                  > Is there any method to de-fish a Canon Full frame fisheye image for
                  > windows xp?
                  > I would like to be able to do this to make patching the Nadir a little
                  > easier.
                  >
                  > SpaceC

                • spacecowboy360
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Ian,
                    PT lens looks very useful, but I can't see any way of fooling it to
                    let it know that I have a Nikon 10.5 on my Canon full frame. When I
                    try to correct using the Fisheye slider control it doesn't full correct.
                    Thanks,

                    Barry Foster-- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood
                    <panolists@...> wrote:

                    > On 5 Apr 2007, at 07:58, Ian Wood wrote:
                    >
                    > > PTLens will correct for distortion, chromatic aberration etc. but it
                    > > doesn't do any changes of correction from what I can remember.
                    >
                    > Doh! No changes of *projection*, i.e. from fisheye to rectilinear
                    > (defishing).
                    >
                    > Ian

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                      I would suggest reading the following pages in the wiki.

                      http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

                      If you have a nadir photo taken off the cuff, its better to stitch it in as
                      best as possible and output it, and then adjust/extract/insert your original
                      360.

                      This process is much more accurate, and quicker.

                      Sacha Griffin
                      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                      www.southern-digital.com
                      www.seeit360.net
                      www.ezphotosafe.com
                      404-551-4275
                      404-731-7798

                      _____

                      <spacecowboy360@...> wrote:

                      > Is there any method to de-fish a Canon Full frame fisheye image for
                      > windows xp?
                      > I would like to be able to do this to make patching the Nadir a little
                      > easier.
                      >
                      > SpaceC

                    • Barry Foster
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Sacha,
                        I am currently exploring all of the methods that I can to do Nadir
                        patching. With some pano's I can successfully include the Nadir image
                        with the around images in PTgui and get a very good result. Not all
                        though. I find the wiki methods that you mention more difficult than
                        using the warp tool on the bottom cube withing photoshop.
                        Of course the easy way out is to use a tripod cap, but I guess I
                        always look for the hard way!

                        Barry Foster -- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
                        <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                        > I would suggest reading the following pages in the wiki.
                        >

                        > http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview
                        >

                        > If you have a nadir photo taken off the cuff, its better to stitch
                        it in as
                        > best as possible and output it, and then adjust/extract/insert your
                        original
                        > 360.
                        >

                        > This process is much more accurate, and quicker.
                        >

                        > Sacha Griffin
                        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                        > www.southern-digital.com
                        > www.seeit360.net
                        > www.ezphotosafe.com
                        > 404-551-4275
                        > 404-731-7798
                        >
                        > _____

                      • John Houghton
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                          <spacecowboy360@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Guys, using PTGUI works very well. Now all I have to do is
                          > work out the correct output size proportions since I am cropping from
                          > a fisheye circle in PTGUi to a Rectilinear,

                          Use the same lens parameters as for your main panorama. Set the
                          rectilinear output image to have horizontal and vertical fov=90. You
                          can adjust the pixel dimensions to be the same as your cubic nadir tile
                          (default tile size is equirectangular width/pi).

                          John
                        • Sacha Griffin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                            Doing anything on a post-production level QTVR face isn't ideal.

                            Working on the source 360 equirectangular will result in better quality.

                            Using the adjust plugin is quick and easy if you are under the "Ultra High
                            Quality Bar" 7000w and minus.

                            Past this you may need more than 2gig of ram.

                            You can stitch a nadir image to your final 360 in the normal fashion, and
                            output accordingly and then use the adjust on both.

                            If you are only cloning and stamping, adjust is still quicker and better.

                            Once you "get it" you'll never go back.

                            <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                            > I would suggest reading the following pages in the wiki.
                            >

                            > http://wiki. <http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview>
                            panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

                            > If you have a nadir photo taken off the cuff, its better to stitch
                            it in as
                            > best as possible and output it, and then adjust/extract/insert your
                            original
                            > 360.
                            >

                            > This process is much more accurate, and quicker.
                            >

                            > Sacha Griffin
                            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                            > www.southern-digital.com
                            > www.seeit360.net
                            > www.ezphotosafe.com
                            > 404-551-4275
                            > 404-731-7798
                            >
                            > _____

                          • Barry Foster
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                              Sacha,
                              Thanks for the tips. I have not yet tried using the "Adjust" filter
                              or PTGui to patch the Nadir in the method you describe. I will do
                              that when I spend some more time indoors. Here in Northern California
                              in Shasta County the weather is so nice I want to spend as much time
                              outside as possible before it gets to hot. But I fully intend to try
                              it very soon. My only thought it that whilst "Post Production"
                              processing of a QTVR will likely lead to loss of image quality, in the
                              case of the Nadir face this is not so important surely?

                              Barry Foster
                            • dmgalpha
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
                                <spacecowboy360@...> wrote:

                                > Is there any method to de-fish a Canon Full frame fisheye image for
                                > windows xp?
                                > I would like to be able to do this to make patching the Nadir a little
                                > easier.
                                >
                                > SpaceC

                                With PTmender you can remap images easily. Create a script (using
                                PTgui or hugin) for your particular lens. Experiment with FOV and
                                resolution until you get the values right. create a script.
                                Then run PTmender -o output <script> <filename>

                                The <filename> will override the input file in the script. Very handy.

                                you should also experiment with other projections, such as stereographic.
                                I find stereographic far more pleasant than other fisheye projections
                                (such as equiarea and equidistant).

                                For any azimuthal projection (which includes rectilinear) you don't
                                need to set control points. The center of the defished image is the
                                same as the center of the original image

                                But sometimes cylindrical projections are more pleasant, because they
                                can be wider angle than rectilinear. They will preserve vertical lines,
                                but not horizontal lines. The amount of distortion in the horizontal
                                lines will depend on the projection.

                                Using a cylindrical projection has some advantages:

                                1. Wider field of view (the rectilinear tops at around 130-140 degrees
                                and depends on whether you have people close to the edge--they will
                                look very fat).

                                2. There is research that suggests that keeping vertical lines
                                vertical is more pleasant than the converging lines of azimuthal
                                projections (in a way that is why we correct perspective in
                                architectural photographs).

                                Of the cylindricals my favorite is Miller, because it is almost
                                conformal, but does not stretch the pole as badly as the Mercator.

                                The disadvantage of defishing to a cylindrical projection is that you
                                need to determine the horizon. Usually you can do this by setting two
                                pairs of vertical control points.

                                --
                                dmg
                                http://silvernegative.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 6, 2007
                                  For de-fishing try - rectfish -
                                  http://www.acapixus.dk/software/rectfish/

                                  regards,

                                  Dave
                                • Roger D. Williams
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 6, 2007
                                    On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:40:13 +0900, dashyz <dave@...> wrote:

                                    > For de-fishing try - rectfish -
                                    > http://www.acapixus.dk/software/rectfish/

                                    That's an interesting approach, and couldn't be much simpler.
                                    Just stretch the circular fisheye image into a rectangular frame.
                                    It leaves noticeable distortion but produces quite usable
                                    images. Surprisingly so.

                                    At US$30 just for that, though, it makes PTgui look even more of
                                    a fantastic bargain than it already is.

                                    Roger

                                    --
                                    Work: www.adex-japan.com