Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT: A laptop for panos. Intel Core, duo core, core 2 duo..???

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
      On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
      <contato@...> wrote:

      > At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
      > cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
      >
      > Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
      > below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
      > so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
      > Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
      > experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
      > supports it, such as Shockwave?
      >
      > If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
      > need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
      > and pronto.
      >
      > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
      > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

      Fabio,

      I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
      eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
      solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
      etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
      presentations before the end of this year.

      Roger

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
        I hope you're right, Roger! :D

        But let's not forget, as I was doing, DevalVR - It has hardware support
        too. Unfortunately I can't tell which are the pros and cons of each
        other because I really never got into the Direct X compatible viewers...

        Fabio.

        Roger D. Williams wrote:
        > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
        > <contato@...> wrote:
        >

        >> At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
        >> cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
        >>
        >> Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
        >> below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
        >> so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
        >> Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
        >> experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
        >> supports it, such as Shockwave?
        >>
        >> If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
        >> need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
        >> and pronto.
        >>
        >> Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
        >> and smoothness? Am I missing something?
        >>

        > Fabio,
        >
        > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
        > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
        > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
        > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
        > presentations before the end of this year.
        >
        > Roger

      • Carel
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
          Roger D. Williams wrote:

          > Fabio,
          >
          > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
          > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
          > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
          > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
          > presentations before the end of this year.
          >
          > Roger

          Aldo has thought up some unique special effects for showing Shockwave panos,
          but in the US, where broadband is slower than in most of Europe and much
          slower than in Korea or Japan, these special panos take a long time to load.
          I am very happy with the devalvr plugin, which shows the pano hardware
          accelerated when available. A "normal" Shockwave pano still takes longer to
          load. Of course the install base for Shockwave is bigger, but not big enough
          to compete with Flash or even Quicktime. Also, I suspect I am not the only
          one who has blocked Flash (and thereby Shockwave) now that so many websites
          have those extremely annoying Flash ads and banners. It is ironic that after
          having modified everything to circumvent Eolas, one now feels compelled
          into some voluntary Flash "eolas" because of the rampant misuse of those
          blinking Flash ads.

          The Vaio sz series seems to have the best mix of relatively lightweight, a
          good choice of CPUs AND an nvidea graphics card.

          Carel

        • Les Irvin
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
            Search the wiki to no avail on this.

            I have a client who wants some panos put on a CD, so that when the disc is
            inserted, the pano presentation shows up via the browser. Is it possible to
            replicate a webpage on a CD using PTviewer as the pano engine?

            Thanks in advance,

            Les

          • Rick Drew
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
              Just make the web page with relative links and create an autoplay file so
              the browser loads.

            • hmmsomethingelse
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                When looking at the portable firefox browser version designed to run
                from a memory stick it looked like you could have flash pre installed
                on it. Which made me think you might be able to put it on a cd and
                have it run and show pages with one of the flash 9 viewers like from
                immervision. Possibly devalvr might run like this as well. I think
                firefox even has a kiosk mode. Never actually tried the idea to see if
                it would work in practice though.

                If you put ptviewer panos you will have no way of knowing if the
                client has java installed.