Pole panos - which pole to buy?

  • hoylekoontz
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
      I've finally gotten a project that will likely require a few panos to
      be shot via a pole, so I'm now doing research to find the best solution.

      With this initial project, it's likely that I won't have any wind to
      deal with because it will be inside a building with a tall open space
      where the panos will be photographed. I would like a pole that could
      deal with some wind though for future use. I'll be shooting with a
      D200 and either the Sigma 8mm f3.5 or the Nikkor 10.5mm.

      I've seen previous posts last September about the Agnos poles and a
      Mr. Longarm pole ,which can be purchased at local hardware stores.
      Are there other poles to consider?

      Thanks for any advice in advance.

      Hoyle
    • Yuval Levy
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
        hoylekoontz wrote:
        > Are there other poles to consider?

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6324&A=details&Q=&sku=162693&is=REG

        or something similar?

        Gilles Vidal has shown some beautiful panoramas from the height of one
        of these Manfrottos:
        <http://www.gillesvidal.com/capitole%5B1%5D.htm>

        Yuv

        --
        Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy http://www.photopla.net/
        Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
          Yuval Levy <yahoo06@...> wrote:

          > hoylekoontz wrote:
          > > Are there other poles to consider?

          http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6324&A=details&Q=&sku=162693&is=REG

          > or something similar?

          13 feet seems okay, but I was hoping for about 20 feet. There may be
          a trade-off though with the above pole stand being closer to that of a
          tripod. I imagine there won't be nearly as much bending of the pole -
          if any. My video light stands are pretty rigid and can hold a pretty
          heavy light housing on a boom without bending.

          > Gilles Vidal has shown some beautiful panoramas from the height of one
          > of these Manfrottos:
          > <http://www.gillesvidal.com/capitole%5B1%5D.htm>

          This looks higher than 13 feet to me based on eye-balling the size of
          the umbrellas. Perhaps he's created an extension or perhaps I can't
          judge height that well!?!

          > Yuv
          >

          > --
          > Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy http://www.photopla.net/
          > Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
          > strictly forbidden.

        • Jook Leung
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
            My Agnos carbon fiber pole arrived a few days ago. I haven't put a
            camera on it yet but plan to take it with me on a job next week. The
            maddening thing with agnos is their products come with no
            instructions. I have found sparse or no documentation on their wesite.

            It took me awhile to realize these were the stackable design and not
            telescoping. Carbon tubes are very thin, rigid but edges are sharp!
            Damage to the ends is possible if they hit the ground. There are 5 -
            roughly 5 foot sections that ship inside the 6th largest tube...so
            you can get about 30 feet of height. Stacking this onto a monopod
            atop a tripod is possible.

            A major problem I see at the moment is the method of mounting a
            camera atop each section which is only held in place by gravity and
            some friction! There is no screw-on threads or pin-in-hole system for
            the camera mount in this design.???

            Maybe someone more experienced or Luca V. can explain further.

            Jook

            On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:42 PM, hoylekoontz wrote:

            > I've finally gotten a project that will likely require a few panos to
            > be shot via a pole, so I'm now doing research to find the best
            > solution.
            >
            > With this initial project, it's likely that I won't have any wind to
            > deal with because it will be inside a building with a tall open space
            > where the panos will be photographed. I would like a pole that could
            > deal with some wind though for future use. I'll be shooting with a
            > D200 and either the Sigma 8mm f3.5 or the Nikkor 10.5mm.
            >
            > I've seen previous posts last September about the Agnos poles and a
            > Mr. Longarm pole ,which can be purchased at local hardware stores.
            > Are there other poles to consider?
            >
            > Thanks for any advice in advance.
            >
            > Hoyle

            Jook Leung Photography
            360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
            Web: http://360vr.com
            E-mail: jook@...
            Mobile: 201 679 6177

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
              Hi...
              I've got the telescope version and the stackable one. In the telescopic
              a drop of glue holds the cameraholder in place (strong bicomponent glue)
              in the carbon stackable it is not possible, due to the way you have to
              unmount it...
              In my own one I drilled an hole and put a pin in it, it is hold in place
              by a metal U shaped spring, like the ones you use to keep in place lexan
              bodies in RC nitro cars. At that time I told Agnos to modify like that
              any further stack pole...
              ...I think he forgot the thing (he is the one-man-band of the company,
              he is usually very clever but really buisy)
              If you do it on your own, remember to TAPE tha carbon fiber before drilling!
              :-)
              P.S. send a mail to him too!

              Jook Leung ha scritto:

              > My Agnos carbon fiber pole arrived a few days ago. I haven't put a
              > camera on it yet but plan to take it with me on a job next week. The
              > maddening thing with agnos is their products come with no
              > instructions. I have found sparse or no documentation on their wesite.
              >
              > It took me awhile to realize these were the stackable design and not
              > telescoping. Carbon tubes are very thin, rigid but edges are sharp!
              > Damage to the ends is possible if they hit the ground. There are 5 -
              > roughly 5 foot sections that ship inside the 6th largest tube...so
              > you can get about 30 feet of height. Stacking this onto a monopod
              > atop a tripod is possible.
              >
              > A major problem I see at the moment is the method of mounting a
              > camera atop each section which is only held in place by gravity and
              > some friction! There is no screw-on threads or pin-in-hole system for
              > the camera mount in this design.???
              >
              > Maybe someone more experienced or Luca V. can explain further.
              >
              > Jook
              >
              > On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:42 PM, hoylekoontz wrote:
              >
              > > I've finally gotten a project that will likely require a few panos to
              > > be shot via a pole, so I'm now doing research to find the best
              > > solution.
              > >
              > > With this initial project, it's likely that I won't have any wind to
              > > deal with because it will be inside a building with a tall open space
              > > where the panos will be photographed. I would like a pole that could
              > > deal with some wind though for future use. I'll be shooting with a
              > > D200 and either the Sigma 8mm f3.5 or the Nikkor 10.5mm.
              > >
              > > I've seen previous posts last September about the Agnos poles and a
              > > Mr. Longarm pole ,which can be purchased at local hardware stores.
              > > Are there other poles to consider?
              > >
              > > Thanks for any advice in advance.
              > >
              > > Hoyle
              > >

              > Jook Leung Photography
              > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
              > Web: http://360vr.com <http://360vr.com>
              > E-mail: jook@... <mailto:jook%40360vr.com>
              > Mobile: 201 679 6177

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                WARNING!!!
                DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THR CARBON FIBER
                I did the hole in a non-carbon one, using tape not to damage the thing!
                The carbon cane cannot be drilled, it is a risk of damage...
                I realized I've the other stackable fiber one.
                :-O
                Agnos told me some minutes ago, he didn't that hole cause it could damage the end of poles...
                and that I did a wrong thing on my own one also!
                The carbon fiber pole is lighter, more rigid and cool... but it has some drawback in being more fragile.
                And I'd suggest some black electric tape or ducttape to hold the camera mounting...

                Luca.

                My Agnos carbon fiber pole arrived a few days ago. I haven't put a
                camera on it yet but plan to take it with me on a job next week. The
                maddening thing with agnos is their products come with no
                instructions. I have found sparse or no documentation on their wesite.

                It took me awhile to realize these were the stackable design and not
                telescoping. Carbon tubes are very thin, rigid but edges are sharp!
                Damage to the ends is possible if they hit the ground. There are 5 -
                roughly 5 foot sections that ship inside the 6th largest tube...so
                you can get about 30 feet of height. Stacking this onto a monopod
                atop a tripod is possible.

                A major problem I see at the moment is the method of mounting a
                camera atop each section which is only held in place by gravity and
                some friction! There is no screw-on threads or pin-in-hole system for
                the camera mount in this design.???

                Maybe someone more experienced or Luca V. can explain further.

                Jook

                On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:42 PM, hoylekoontz wrote:

                > I've finally gotten a project that will likely require a few panos to
                > be shot via a pole, so I'm now doing research to find the best
                > solution.
                >
                > With this initial project, it's likely that I won't have any wind to
                > deal with because it will be inside a building with a tall open space
                > where the panos will be photographed. I would like a pole that could
                > deal with some wind though for future use. I'll be shooting with a
                > D200 and either the Sigma 8mm f3.5 or the Nikkor 10.5mm.
                >
                > I've seen previous posts last September about the Agnos poles and a
                > Mr. Longarm pole ,which can be purchased at local hardware stores.
                > Are there other poles to consider?
                >
                > Thanks for any advice in advance.
                >
                > Hoyle

                Jook Leung Photography
                360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                Web: http://360vr.com
                E-mail: jook@...
                Mobile: 201 679 6177

              • Carel
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Luca Vascon wrote:

                  > Hi...
                  > I've got the telescope version and the stackable one.

                  Hi Luca,
                  I have the telescoping pole. What do you do with the little plastic pins? I
                  keep loosing them and find it difficult to insert them while holding up the
                  camera/pole. Both types of poles are not easy to set up with just one
                  person.
                  With the telescoping pole one has to use it at full hight, because there is
                  too much play between the sections that are not extended. I have tried using
                  pieces of wood as spacers when not fully extended, but then you have even
                  more things to loose, while standing there, holding up the camera/pole.

                  I am now going to make two braces that clamp the pole to the *side*
                  (parallel) of my tripod's center pole. That should make everything a bit
                  more stable. The pole would be resting on the ground and the braces will
                  allow the pole to turn, until I feel safe about my motorized pano head. The
                  motor works, but I dont trust my current construction 6m up in the air, so
                  still turning the pole by hand.

                  Carel
                • Carel
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Luca Vascon wrote:

                    > Hi...
                    > I've got the telescope version and the stackable one.

                    Hi Luca,
                    I have the telescoping pole. What do you do with the little plastic pins? I
                    keep loosing them and find it difficult to insert them while holding up the
                    camera/pole. Both types of poles are not easy to set up with just one
                    person.
                    With the telescoping pole one has to use it at full hight, because there is
                    too much play between the sections that are not extended. I have tried using
                    pieces of wood as spacers when not fully extended, but then you have even
                    more things to loose, while standing there, holding up the camera/pole.

                    I am now going to make two braces that clamp the pole to the *side*
                    (parallel) of my tripod's center pole. That should make everything a bit
                    more stable. The pole would be resting on the ground and the braces will
                    allow the pole to turn, until I feel safe about my motorized pano head. The
                    motor works, but I dont trust my current construction 6m up in the air, so
                    still turning the pole by hand.

                    Carel
                  • Carel Struycken
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                      <quote author='Luca Vascon'>
                      Hi...
                      I've got the telescope version and the stackable one.
                      </quote>

[...]

                    • spacecowboy360
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                        One great solution to this suggested recently was to use a old
                        windsurfing mast. Very sturdy and most are in two pieces. A mount
                        can easily be attached to the top. I have one in my basement and I
                        intend to use it before long.

                        SpaceC -- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hoylekoontz" <hkoontz@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I've finally gotten a project that will likely require a few panos to
                        > be shot via a pole, so I'm now doing research to find the best
                        solution.

                        > With this initial project, it's likely that I won't have any wind to
                        > deal with because it will be inside a building with a tall open space
                        > where the panos will be photographed. I would like a pole that could
                        > deal with some wind though for future use. I'll be shooting with a
                        > D200 and either the Sigma 8mm f3.5 or the Nikkor 10.5mm.
                        >
                        > I've seen previous posts last September about the Agnos poles and a
                        > Mr. Longarm pole ,which can be purchased at local hardware stores.
                        > Are there other poles to consider?
                        >
                        > Thanks for any advice in advance.
                        >
                        > Hoyle

                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                          I'm currently using it with adhesive tape (it is a pre-serie). I always used
                          it alone, so..
                          I just screw the camera in place, extract the section and "screw" it tight,
                          one turn and half of tape, and go.
                          Otherwise I'd choose those metal clips that are used to keep lexan bodies on
                          RC cars. Unfortunately they are difficult to find here, in the right
                          dimensions...
                          More often I do not use it full lenght.... and I rotate the extracted
                          section of "circa" 90 degrees. Or I keep the thing together with an hand.
                          We are working around a series of cups to insert between the unfolded
                          sections.
                          Even if... When I plan to shoot simply overheads I prefer to use a modified
                          monopod (I think you would find it useful as "normal" monopod) that brings
                          the camera a bit over 2meters.
                          Then I tried to stack 2 monopods, I'll post something more precise about
                          it!!! to reach 3meters circa. I tend to use the Agnos poles in full
                          extent....

                          So, Carel, any idea is welcome, so are welcome the critics like yours, cause
                          they allow improvements.
                          Many ideas we had (Martino usually thinks a lot before investing in a new
                          product) were good but not appliable for market reasons. But they can be
                          applied if the customer can do a little bricolage... If you can find a
                          right replacement for those pins, please share... even if you selfbuild
                          them. Even if he can't apply the solution for cost or market reasons, maybe
                          you can help others

                          Agnos pole are a good compromise, but yet a compromise.
                          Ideal would be telescopic aluminium or carbonium, gitzo-like closings (I
                          hate them!) with compact size of 60-70 cm, extanded size of 6m.
                          It would mean 10 section, lack of rigidity, foolish costs, high weight,
                          enormous large section...
                          :-((((

                          In our field many many things are done "for the first time" So are high
                          poles... :-)

                          >> I've got the telescope version and the stackable one.
                          >>

                          > Hi Luca,
                          > I have the telescoping pole. What do you do with the little plastic pins?
                          > keep loosing them and find it difficult to insert them while holding up
                          > the
                          > camera/pole. Both types of poles are not easy to set up with just one
                          > person.
                          > With the telescoping pole one has to use it at full hight, because there
                          > is
                          > too much play between the sections that are not extended. I have tried
                          > using
                          > pieces of wood as spacers when not fully extended, but then you have even
                          > more things to loose, while standing there, holding up the camera/pole.
                          >
                          > I am now going to make two braces that clamp the pole to the *side*
                          > (parallel) of my tripod's center pole. That should make everything a bit
                          > more stable. The pole would be resting on the ground and the braces will
                          > allow the pole to turn, until I feel safe about my motorized pano head.
                          > The
                          > motor works, but I dont trust my current construction 6m up in the air, so
                          > still turning the pole by hand.
                          >
                          > Carel

                        • panovrx
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Yuval Levy <yahoo06@...> wrote:

                            > hoylekoontz wrote:
                            > > Are there other poles to consider?
                            >
                            > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?
                            O=6324&A=details&Q=&sku=162693&is=REG

                            this is the one I use for most of my pole panos -- after discarding
                            the legs

                            I have modified it with a rapid adapter screwed at the base, and then
                            it will lock quickly into a large Manfrotto ball head which is in
                            turn attached to a disk about 20cm in diameter -- which sits on the
                            ground. Also I have added a bubble level at eye height

                            the ball head I use is good because I can kick the tightening lever
                            with my foot to loosen/tighten it

                            what I like about the Manfrotto light stand centre columns for poles
                            is that you can put them up to maximum height very quickly and
                            securely from a vertical starting position ie. in the middle of a
                            crowd for instance. Also they are very rigid. There is a spring
                            inside the bottom section which is a safety measure for overly rapid
                            compacting.

                            Main drawback with them is they are heavier than they need to be for
                            some situations and they dont compact very small.

                            For mobile pole pano purposes I bought a Rode microphone boom pole
                            recently -- this doesnt tighten enough to be ideal for a heavy
                            camera, but I modified it with a short foot, so I can stand on that
                            and just pull the pole with the camera on it up to full height in a
                            couple of seconds. And pull it back down as quickly Like a stretchy
                            pole! When compressed and inverted - with the foot attached - it
                            looks like a small harmless black walking stick with a hand grip. Ive
                            reinforced the section twist
                            locks with plumbers tape and gaffered them in position so the joints
                            maintain their friction settings. It only goes up to 3m.

                            Peter
                            http://www.mediavr.com/blog
                          • Stuart Milne
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                              For those of you in the UK;

                              Funnily enough I was walking around B&Q (a hardware store for those worldwide) 3 days ago looking for special screws and saw a decorators pole, 5m extension, 3 sections. Extruded alumium /w/ plastic twist locks.... for the bargainous price of £14.98 !!!! I had to pick one up :-)

                              I plan to make a thread attachment at the top so I can affix an adjuste panohead on there, and put my camera with -15deg tilt, and set the 'nodal' point to actually centre the CoG of the assembly.

                              In use, I can reach the top of the pole when all sections are retratcted, set the camera up etc. Then undo the screw, raise the section, and lock it out. (repeat for next section). Rotation will be a rather lo-tech 'spin the pole'. I think that with angular measuments on the pole (sticker + pen), and large overlap (say 8 -shot nikon 10.5 portrait) you will easily get usable results.

                              Disregarding the panohead, I think this will give me a 1-man useable pole rig for about £21!!!!

                              (I'll make the thread adaptor myself, £1 ally ;-) and ebay for a remote shutter release to butcher by adding 3m of wire).

                              If it works well, I'm sure we could make the thread adaptor for others without access to a machine shop - I'll let you know how I get on (probably take a month or so to get around to this).

                              Kindest,

                              Stu@360P

                            • bigwade
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                                Hi,
                                Try this:
                                http://www.thomann.de/de/manfrotto_269hdbu_super_giant_stand_blck.htm
                                You have to order a 019 Cineadapter too.
                                It works !
                                http://www.lookaround.nl/images/outdoor/4,5m.mov
                                was a test in Jan.2007, bad weather.
                                Other info at:
                                http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Poleposition/Poleposition.html

                                Does this helps ?
                                Have fun
                                Frank
                              • Martin Hrdlicka
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                                  Hi,
                                  I am satisfied with my Agnos pole.
                                  Have a look:
                                  http://www.mh360.com/vertigotest/
                                  http://www.mh360.com/firstpole/
                                  http://www.mh360.com/poletest/
                                  and litlle more on www.panorama360.cz.

                                  Martin
                                • Yuval Levy
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                                    hoylekoontz wrote:
                                    >> Gilles Vidal has shown some beautiful panoramas from the height of one
                                    >> of these Manfrottos:
                                    >> <http://www.gillesvidal.com/capitole%5B1%5D.htm>
                                    >>

                                    > This looks higher than 13 feet to me based on eye-balling the size of
                                    > the umbrellas. Perhaps he's created an extension or perhaps I can't
                                    > judge height that well!?!

                                    There are so many of these Manfrottos, I just linked the one that looked
                                    reasonably priced. I don't recall the exact model that Gilles used.

                                    Yuv

                                    --
                                    Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
                                    Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
                                    strictly forbidden.
                                  • Frank van Dam
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                                      > There are so many of these Manfrottos, I just linked the one that looked
                                      > reasonably priced. I don't recall the exact model that Gilles used.

                                      it's a Manfrotto296HDBU, about 240-400 EU in Europe
                                      http://www.thomann.de/de/manfrotto_269hdbu_super_giant_stand_blck.htm is a good one!
                                      Goes to 7,3 m and with an extension higher. (10-11m)
                                      One of the legs is adjustable.
                                      About 10Kilo heavy and I bought a golftrolley ( 30Euro) to transport this Giant.
                                      Looks very dangerous, walking with it.... :-))
                                      Don't forget to order a 019Cine adapter too. (to mount your camera)
                                      Have Fun
                                      Frank
                                    • Bernd
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 5, 2007
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "spacecowboy360"
                                        <spacecowboy360@...> wrote:

                                        > One great solution to this suggested recently was to use a old
                                        > windsurfing mast. Very sturdy and most are in two pieces. A mount
                                        > can easily be attached to the top.

                                        Yes,
                                        that is my homemade pole idea
                                        http://www.360bilder.de/eng/e_hochstativ.html

                                        ...and it works well ;-)
                                        http://www.360bilder.de/html/vrqt_hafentheater.htm

                                        Best from Hamburg
                                        Bernd
                                      • David Gibson
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 5, 2007
                                          I've been using the skypod from Studio 1 productions. Not expensive, sturdy
                                          aluminum telescoping pole with a camera mount. The camera mount is solid but
                                          not easy to adjust. The pole extends to about 10'. I use it with my Nikon
                                          D50 / 10.5mm (light weight), triggering it with the Nikon remote control.
                                          ($25).
                                          I take 8 shots using a cross on the ground to align the compas points. For
                                          vertical I use a plumb line attached to the monopod at the first section.
                                          Studio 1 Productions -
                                          skypod $129

                                          http://www.studio1productions.com/

                                          Dave

                                          http://www.etpanorama.com

                                        • oldfbii
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 10, 2007
                                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hoylekoontz" <hkoontz@...> wrote:
                                            > I've seen previous posts last September about the Agnos poles and a
                                            > Mr. Longarm pole ,which can be purchased at local hardware stores.
                                            > Are there other poles to consider?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for any advice in advance.
                                            >
                                            > Hoyle

                                            When I first saw this post it started me thinking about trying to use
                                            a pole myself. Which brought up the question of how to hit the shutter
                                            release. So I found this a ebay, ordered it and it arrived in two days
                                            - Hong Kong to the West Coast of the US. Works great - (I suspect most
                                            of you already know about this) But for $39 it is a steal.

                                            Fritz

                                            http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Shutter-Release-Combo-for-Nikon-D200-D100-D2H_W0QQitemZ170100610752QQihZ007QQcategoryZ64345QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                                          • Keith Martin
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                              Sometime around 11/4/07 (at 02:55 +0000) oldfbii said:

                                              >I found this a ebay, ordered it and it arrived in two days
                                              >- Hong Kong to the West Coast of the US. Works great

                                              Hi Fritz - that does look good.

                                              I had one general question about the fitting of the remote plug and
                                              socket in the camera. I just bought a cheap wired remote for my new
                                              Fuji S5 Pro (which uses the d200 body) and it is a *very* tight fit!

                                              Is this simply how the connection is, or is it more likely to be due
                                              to the cheap third-party manufacturing of the remote trigger's plug?
                                              It works fine, but it is an absolute devil to unplug!

                                            • oldfbii
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                > Hi Fritz - that does look good.
                                                >
                                                > I had one general question about the fitting of the remote plug and
                                                > socket in the camera. I just bought a cheap wired remote for my new
                                                > Fuji S5 Pro (which uses the d200 body) and it is a *very* tight fit!
                                                >
                                                > Is this simply how the connection is, or is it more likely to be due
                                                > to the cheap third-party manufacturing of the remote trigger's plug?
                                                > It works fine, but it is an absolute devil to unplug!

                                                Actually the plug on this thing is well, snug I guess is the best
                                                work. Let me put it this way, it won't fall out. I suspect you're on
                                                the right track when you say that third party manufacturing is
                                                suspect. However, now that I have used it in tests on the ground I
                                                won't worry about it coming out when plug in on a 20 foot pole. :-)

                                                Take care,

                                                fritz
                                              • hoylekoontz
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "oldfbii" <xtoper@...> wrote:

                                                  > When I first saw this post it started me thinking about trying to use
                                                  > a pole myself. Which brought up the question of how to hit the shutter
                                                  > release. So I found this a ebay, ordered it and it arrived in two days
                                                  > - Hong Kong to the West Coast of the US. Works great - (I suspect most
                                                  > of you already know about this) But for $39 it is a steal.
                                                  >
                                                  > Fritz

                                                  http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Shutter-Release-Combo-for-Nikon-D200-D100-D2H_W0QQitemZ170100610752QQihZ007QQcategoryZ64345QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                                                  Hi Fritz,

                                                  Thanks for the post. I was aware of that remote release and it was on
                                                  my purchase list, but wasn't aware that it actually worked well. My
                                                  thought was like yours. . . $39 won't be too bad even if it only works
                                                  for a short amount of time.

                                                  I haven't purchased my pole yet though. I'm going to a local painting
                                                  contractor's office to see if I can rig something up from one of their
                                                  heavy-duty poles soon though.

                                                  Thanks - Hoyle
                                                • oldfbii
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hoylekoontz" <hkoontz@...> wrote:

                                                    > I haven't purchased my pole yet though. I'm going to a local painting
                                                    > contractor's office to see if I can rig something up from one of their
                                                    > heavy-duty poles soon though.
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks - Hoyle

                                                    I hadn't thought about painter's equipment but the poles I've seen
                                                    them use are very sturdy! Another avenue to explore.

                                                    fritz
                                                  • Roger Berry
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                      I've looked at these boat hooks from West Marine and they are strong!
                                                      They are 3 piece telescoping, one goes from 4.5 - 12 feet and the
                                                      other from 6 - 14 feet.
                                                      Removing the end and putting a threaded plug in there should be
                                                      easy.
                                                      http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/0622.asp

                                                      Roger Berry

                                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "oldfbii" <xtoper@...> wrote:

                                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hoylekoontz" <hkoontz@> wrote:
                                                      >

                                                      > > I haven't purchased my pole yet though. I'm going to a local
                                                      painting
                                                      > > contractor's office to see if I can rig something up from one of
                                                      their
                                                      > > heavy-duty poles soon though.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Thanks - Hoyle
                                                      > >
                                                      > I hadn't thought about painter's equipment but the poles I've
                                                      seen
                                                      > them use are very sturdy! Another avenue to explore.
                                                      >

                                                      > fritz

                                                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                        On 12 Apr 2007 at 23:39, oldfbii wrote:

                                                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hoylekoontz" <hkoontz@...> wrote:
                                                        >

                                                        > > I haven't purchased my pole yet though. I'm going to a local painting
                                                        > > contractor's office to see if I can rig something up from one of their
                                                        > > heavy-duty poles soon though.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Thanks - Hoyle
                                                        > >
                                                        > I hadn't thought about painter's equipment but the poles I've seen
                                                        > them use are very sturdy! Another avenue to explore.

                                                        And look for window cleaner poles too. They are usually longer than painter poles.
                                                        Mine is quite rigid, in aluminium. I also have a glassfiber pole from R&G that is much
                                                        more springy, but easier to erect and transport, because the pole segments are much
                                                        shorter.
                                                        --
                                                        Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
                                                      • David Sykes
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 14, 2007
                                                          Fritz wrote:

                                                          >I found this a ebay, ordered it and it arrived in two days

                                                          As far as the customs-form declaration was concerned, were they
                                                          'helpful' or not ?

                                                          David