Re: OT: A laptop for panos. Intel Core, duo core, core 2 duo..???

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2 8:41 PM
      > At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has
      > LED backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite
      > of the glossy screen. White LED might give less yellow backligh
      > than the usual electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop
      > screens (...?)

      Carel,

      I bought a VAIO SZ360 last December and am delighted with it. The
      backlighting is much better than average, and the screen does indeed
      have a pretty wide viewing angle. I can get a very decent calibration
      on the screen (using my Gretag Macbeth EyeOne) though it is much
      better when running the separate nVidia graphics processor than
      without it. The battery life is a bit longer when running the built
      in adapter, but it hasn't been a problem. With 2Gb and a fast dual
      core cpu, it runs the displayed panos very well and is quite
      serviceable as an on-the-road processing station. That, and it's
      small and light and has a decent keyboard for a touch-typist as well. :-)

      Obviously, you'll want to find someplace where you can check it out
      for yourself, but here's word from one pleased owner. BTW, the
      display characteristics was one of the reasons I went for the SZ,
      weight (I got the carbon fiber model) and a good keyboard were also
      important to me as I do use it for on-the-road text work as well as
      photos.

      Victor
    • dtonnes
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3 12:42 PM
        Hi Carel,

        I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
        Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.

        The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
        beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
        display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
        into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.

        It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
        stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
        frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
        run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
        configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
        sure.

        I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.
      • Fabio Bustamante
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3 1:17 PM
          At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
          cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.

          Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
          below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
          so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
          Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
          experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
          supports it, such as Shockwave?

          If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
          need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
          and pronto.

          Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
          and smoothness? Am I missing something?

          dtonnes wrote:
          > Hi Carel,
          >
          > I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
          > Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.
          >
          > The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
          > beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
          > display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
          > into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.
          >
          > It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
          > stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
          > frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
          > run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
          > configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
          > sure.
          >
          > I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.

        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 3 1:28 PM
            On 3 Apr 2007, at 21:17, Fabio Bustamante wrote:

            > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
            > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

            Certainly not. If you want the best results out of DevalVR on
            Windows, CubicNavigator or PangeaVR on Mac or SPi-V on either then
            dedicated graphics are essential.

            As a side-note, PTGui can gain quite a bit from dual cores - not for
            single panos, but if you are doing several then you can send projects
            to the batch stitcher while carrying on at nearly normal speed on the
            next one, or adjusting the finished ones in Photoshop.

            Ian
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 3 6:09 PM
              On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
              <contato@...> wrote:

              > At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
              > cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
              >
              > Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
              > below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
              > so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
              > Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
              > experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
              > supports it, such as Shockwave?
              >
              > If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
              > need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
              > and pronto.
              >
              > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
              > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

              Fabio,

              I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
              eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
              solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
              etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
              presentations before the end of this year.

              Roger

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
              Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 3 8:27 PM
                I hope you're right, Roger! :D

                But let's not forget, as I was doing, DevalVR - It has hardware support
                too. Unfortunately I can't tell which are the pros and cons of each
                other because I really never got into the Direct X compatible viewers...

                Fabio.

                Roger D. Williams wrote:
                > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                > <contato@...> wrote:
                >

                >> At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                >> cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                >>
                >> Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                >> below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                >> so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                >> Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                >> experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                >> supports it, such as Shockwave?
                >>
                >> If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                >> need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                >> and pronto.
                >>
                >> Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                >> and smoothness? Am I missing something?
                >>

                > Fabio,
                >
                > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                > presentations before the end of this year.
                >
                > Roger

              • Carel
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3 9:36 PM
                  Roger D. Williams wrote:

                  > Fabio,
                  >
                  > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                  > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                  > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                  > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                  > presentations before the end of this year.
                  >
                  > Roger

                  Aldo has thought up some unique special effects for showing Shockwave panos,
                  but in the US, where broadband is slower than in most of Europe and much
                  slower than in Korea or Japan, these special panos take a long time to load.
                  I am very happy with the devalvr plugin, which shows the pano hardware
                  accelerated when available. A "normal" Shockwave pano still takes longer to
                  load. Of course the install base for Shockwave is bigger, but not big enough
                  to compete with Flash or even Quicktime. Also, I suspect I am not the only
                  one who has blocked Flash (and thereby Shockwave) now that so many websites
                  have those extremely annoying Flash ads and banners. It is ironic that after
                  having modified everything to circumvent Eolas, one now feels compelled
                  into some voluntary Flash "eolas" because of the rampant misuse of those
                  blinking Flash ads.

                  The Vaio sz series seems to have the best mix of relatively lightweight, a
                  good choice of CPUs AND an nvidea graphics card.

                  Carel

                • Les Irvin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 5 1:43 PM
                    Search the wiki to no avail on this.

                    I have a client who wants some panos put on a CD, so that when the disc is
                    inserted, the pano presentation shows up via the browser. Is it possible to
                    replicate a webpage on a CD using PTviewer as the pano engine?

                    Thanks in advance,

                    Les

                  • Rick Drew
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 5 1:59 PM
                      Just make the web page with relative links and create an autoplay file so
                      the browser loads.

                    • hmmsomethingelse
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5 2:53 PM
                        When looking at the portable firefox browser version designed to run
                        from a memory stick it looked like you could have flash pre installed
                        on it. Which made me think you might be able to put it on a cd and
                        have it run and show pages with one of the flash 9 viewers like from
                        immervision. Possibly devalvr might run like this as well. I think
                        firefox even has a kiosk mode. Never actually tried the idea to see if
                        it would work in practice though.

                        If you put ptviewer panos you will have no way of knowing if the
                        client has java installed.