Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: OT: A laptop for panos. Intel Core, duo core, core 2 duo..???

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
      Bernhard Vogl-2 wrote:

      > .......snip
      > - the backlight slightly tends towards yellow, so you sometimes miss
      > some shades between yellow and white
      > .......snip
      >
      > Best regards
      > Bernhard

      I will still use my dual monitor 3.4GHz desktop setup for work at home, so I
      am mainly aiming for something that gives a nice juicy image for convincing
      potential clients and with a processor that is not a huge step back from my
      3.4GHz desktop, to do some Photoshop and PTGui stuff "on the road".
      Like Luca I am a big fan of ultralight gear.
      At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has LED
      backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite of the glossy
      screen. White LED might give less yellow backlight than the usual
      electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop screens (...?).
      Many of the lighter notebooks use "Intel graphics media accelerator 950"
      which sounds like some integrated scheme with shared VRAM. The Vaio SZ
      series are one of the few who have a separate graphics card, which can be
      switched off for non graphics intensive work and longer battery life. I
      guess the graphics card is only realy needed for showing the panos. I dont
      think it makes a difference when using photoshop(...?).

      Carel

    • Victor
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
        > At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has
        > LED backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite
        > of the glossy screen. White LED might give less yellow backligh
        > than the usual electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop
        > screens (...?)

        Carel,

        I bought a VAIO SZ360 last December and am delighted with it. The
        backlighting is much better than average, and the screen does indeed
        have a pretty wide viewing angle. I can get a very decent calibration
        on the screen (using my Gretag Macbeth EyeOne) though it is much
        better when running the separate nVidia graphics processor than
        without it. The battery life is a bit longer when running the built
        in adapter, but it hasn't been a problem. With 2Gb and a fast dual
        core cpu, it runs the displayed panos very well and is quite
        serviceable as an on-the-road processing station. That, and it's
        small and light and has a decent keyboard for a touch-typist as well. :-)

        Obviously, you'll want to find someplace where you can check it out
        for yourself, but here's word from one pleased owner. BTW, the
        display characteristics was one of the reasons I went for the SZ,
        weight (I got the carbon fiber model) and a good keyboard were also
        important to me as I do use it for on-the-road text work as well as
        photos.

        Victor
      • dtonnes
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hi Carel,

          I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
          Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.

          The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
          beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
          display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
          into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.

          It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
          stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
          frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
          run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
          configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
          sure.

          I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.
        • Fabio Bustamante
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
            At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
            cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.

            Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
            below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
            so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
            Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
            experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
            supports it, such as Shockwave?

            If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
            need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
            and pronto.

            Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
            and smoothness? Am I missing something?

            dtonnes wrote:
            > Hi Carel,
            >
            > I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
            > Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.
            >
            > The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
            > beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
            > display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
            > into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.
            >
            > It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
            > stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
            > frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
            > run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
            > configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
            > sure.
            >
            > I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
              On 3 Apr 2007, at 21:17, Fabio Bustamante wrote:

              > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
              > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

              Certainly not. If you want the best results out of DevalVR on
              Windows, CubicNavigator or PangeaVR on Mac or SPi-V on either then
              dedicated graphics are essential.

              As a side-note, PTGui can gain quite a bit from dual cores - not for
              single panos, but if you are doing several then you can send projects
              to the batch stitcher while carrying on at nearly normal speed on the
              next one, or adjusting the finished ones in Photoshop.

              Ian
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                <contato@...> wrote:

                > At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                > cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                >
                > Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                > below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                > so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                > Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                > experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                > supports it, such as Shockwave?
                >
                > If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                > need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                > and pronto.
                >
                > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                Fabio,

                I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                presentations before the end of this year.

                Roger

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com
                Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                  I hope you're right, Roger! :D

                  But let's not forget, as I was doing, DevalVR - It has hardware support
                  too. Unfortunately I can't tell which are the pros and cons of each
                  other because I really never got into the Direct X compatible viewers...

                  Fabio.

                  Roger D. Williams wrote:
                  > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                  > <contato@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                  >> cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                  >>
                  >> Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                  >> below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                  >> so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                  >> Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                  >> experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                  >> supports it, such as Shockwave?
                  >>
                  >> If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                  >> need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                  >> and pronto.
                  >>
                  >> Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                  >> and smoothness? Am I missing something?
                  >>

                  > Fabio,
                  >
                  > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                  > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                  > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                  > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                  > presentations before the end of this year.
                  >
                  > Roger

                • Carel
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Roger D. Williams wrote:

                    > Fabio,
                    >
                    > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                    > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                    > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                    > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                    > presentations before the end of this year.
                    >
                    > Roger

                    Aldo has thought up some unique special effects for showing Shockwave panos,
                    but in the US, where broadband is slower than in most of Europe and much
                    slower than in Korea or Japan, these special panos take a long time to load.
                    I am very happy with the devalvr plugin, which shows the pano hardware
                    accelerated when available. A "normal" Shockwave pano still takes longer to
                    load. Of course the install base for Shockwave is bigger, but not big enough
                    to compete with Flash or even Quicktime. Also, I suspect I am not the only
                    one who has blocked Flash (and thereby Shockwave) now that so many websites
                    have those extremely annoying Flash ads and banners. It is ironic that after
                    having modified everything to circumvent Eolas, one now feels compelled
                    into some voluntary Flash "eolas" because of the rampant misuse of those
                    blinking Flash ads.

                    The Vaio sz series seems to have the best mix of relatively lightweight, a
                    good choice of CPUs AND an nvidea graphics card.

                    Carel

                  • Les Irvin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                      Search the wiki to no avail on this.

                      I have a client who wants some panos put on a CD, so that when the disc is
                      inserted, the pano presentation shows up via the browser. Is it possible to
                      replicate a webpage on a CD using PTviewer as the pano engine?

                      Thanks in advance,

                      Les

                    • Rick Drew
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Just make the web page with relative links and create an autoplay file so
                        the browser loads.

                      • hmmsomethingelse
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                          When looking at the portable firefox browser version designed to run
                          from a memory stick it looked like you could have flash pre installed
                          on it. Which made me think you might be able to put it on a cd and
                          have it run and show pages with one of the flash 9 viewers like from
                          immervision. Possibly devalvr might run like this as well. I think
                          firefox even has a kiosk mode. Never actually tried the idea to see if
                          it would work in practice though.

                          If you put ptviewer panos you will have no way of knowing if the
                          client has java installed.