Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: OT: A laptop for panos. Intel Core, duo core, core 2 duo..???

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
      Maybe this Wiki article could be of interest:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

      Each type has its own pitfalls. If you only look at one display(-type)
      concurrently, your eye will always "interpret" what you see and pretend
      to be "ok" (that's BTW the trick when mapping down HDR panoramas). If
      you have more than one, you either will start using a trade off which
      looks good on all screens (what i try to do), or you will start going nuts.
      E.g., here on my desk are 2 different displays:
      - An Acer "active matrix TFT" type:
      in terms of photo paper gradations it is a hard and glossy paper
      + fast, bright and brilliant colors (IMHO a little too "popping")
      - no real "black", image looks different from every viewing angle,
      reflective display
      - A Samsung "a-siTFT/PVA" type
      in terms of photo paper gradations it is a soft, and matte paper
      + good nuances of color, good "black", wide viewing angle with
      consistent image appearance
      - the backlight slightly tends towards yellow, so you sometimes miss
      some shades between yellow and white

      As said, most laptops that are on the market nowadays, use the first
      display type. I have an Acer with the same display as the (Acer) monitor
      above and the screen is better readable outdoors than the "older"
      laptop-displays - as long as you avoid having the Sun positioned exactly
      in the mirroring area...

      So, to make it short: Either don't care about the screen and select the
      laptop by choosing the one with the most needed features. Or you select
      _your_ optimal screen at your favorite dealer by comparing an image on
      the display with a calibrated photo printout (if you ever managed to
      calibrate your workflow ...) ;-)

      Just my 2Eurocent

      Best regards
      Bernhard
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
        Bernhard Vogl-2 wrote:

        > .......snip
        > - the backlight slightly tends towards yellow, so you sometimes miss
        > some shades between yellow and white
        > .......snip
        >
        > Best regards
        > Bernhard

        I will still use my dual monitor 3.4GHz desktop setup for work at home, so I
        am mainly aiming for something that gives a nice juicy image for convincing
        potential clients and with a processor that is not a huge step back from my
        3.4GHz desktop, to do some Photoshop and PTGui stuff "on the road".
        Like Luca I am a big fan of ultralight gear.
        At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has LED
        backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite of the glossy
        screen. White LED might give less yellow backlight than the usual
        electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop screens (...?).
        Many of the lighter notebooks use "Intel graphics media accelerator 950"
        which sounds like some integrated scheme with shared VRAM. The Vaio SZ
        series are one of the few who have a separate graphics card, which can be
        switched off for non graphics intensive work and longer battery life. I
        guess the graphics card is only realy needed for showing the panos. I dont
        think it makes a difference when using photoshop(...?).

        Carel

      • Victor
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
          > At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has
          > LED backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite
          > of the glossy screen. White LED might give less yellow backligh
          > than the usual electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop
          > screens (...?)

          Carel,

          I bought a VAIO SZ360 last December and am delighted with it. The
          backlighting is much better than average, and the screen does indeed
          have a pretty wide viewing angle. I can get a very decent calibration
          on the screen (using my Gretag Macbeth EyeOne) though it is much
          better when running the separate nVidia graphics processor than
          without it. The battery life is a bit longer when running the built
          in adapter, but it hasn't been a problem. With 2Gb and a fast dual
          core cpu, it runs the displayed panos very well and is quite
          serviceable as an on-the-road processing station. That, and it's
          small and light and has a decent keyboard for a touch-typist as well. :-)

          Obviously, you'll want to find someplace where you can check it out
          for yourself, but here's word from one pleased owner. BTW, the
          display characteristics was one of the reasons I went for the SZ,
          weight (I got the carbon fiber model) and a good keyboard were also
          important to me as I do use it for on-the-road text work as well as
          photos.

          Victor
        • dtonnes
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
            Hi Carel,

            I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
            Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.

            The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
            beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
            display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
            into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.

            It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
            stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
            frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
            run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
            configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
            sure.

            I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.
          • Fabio Bustamante
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
              At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
              cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.

              Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
              below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
              so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
              Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
              experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
              supports it, such as Shockwave?

              If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
              need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
              and pronto.

              Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
              and smoothness? Am I missing something?

              dtonnes wrote:
              > Hi Carel,
              >
              > I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
              > Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.
              >
              > The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
              > beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
              > display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
              > into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.
              >
              > It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
              > stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
              > frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
              > run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
              > configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
              > sure.
              >
              > I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.

            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                On 3 Apr 2007, at 21:17, Fabio Bustamante wrote:

                > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                Certainly not. If you want the best results out of DevalVR on
                Windows, CubicNavigator or PangeaVR on Mac or SPi-V on either then
                dedicated graphics are essential.

                As a side-note, PTGui can gain quite a bit from dual cores - not for
                single panos, but if you are doing several then you can send projects
                to the batch stitcher while carrying on at nearly normal speed on the
                next one, or adjusting the finished ones in Photoshop.

                Ian
              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                  On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                  <contato@...> wrote:

                  > At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                  > cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                  >
                  > Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                  > below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                  > so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                  > Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                  > experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                  > supports it, such as Shockwave?
                  >
                  > If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                  > need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                  > and pronto.
                  >
                  > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                  > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                  Fabio,

                  I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                  eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                  solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                  etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                  presentations before the end of this year.

                  Roger

                  --
                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                  Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                    I hope you're right, Roger! :D

                    But let's not forget, as I was doing, DevalVR - It has hardware support
                    too. Unfortunately I can't tell which are the pros and cons of each
                    other because I really never got into the Direct X compatible viewers...

                    Fabio.

                    Roger D. Williams wrote:
                    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                    > <contato@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                    >> cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                    >>
                    >> Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                    >> below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                    >> so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                    >> Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                    >> experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                    >> supports it, such as Shockwave?
                    >>
                    >> If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                    >> need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                    >> and pronto.
                    >>
                    >> Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                    >> and smoothness? Am I missing something?
                    >>

                    > Fabio,
                    >
                    > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                    > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                    > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                    > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                    > presentations before the end of this year.
                    >
                    > Roger

                  • Carel
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                      Roger D. Williams wrote:

                      > Fabio,
                      >
                      > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                      > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                      > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                      > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                      > presentations before the end of this year.
                      >
                      > Roger

                      Aldo has thought up some unique special effects for showing Shockwave panos,
                      but in the US, where broadband is slower than in most of Europe and much
                      slower than in Korea or Japan, these special panos take a long time to load.
                      I am very happy with the devalvr plugin, which shows the pano hardware
                      accelerated when available. A "normal" Shockwave pano still takes longer to
                      load. Of course the install base for Shockwave is bigger, but not big enough
                      to compete with Flash or even Quicktime. Also, I suspect I am not the only
                      one who has blocked Flash (and thereby Shockwave) now that so many websites
                      have those extremely annoying Flash ads and banners. It is ironic that after
                      having modified everything to circumvent Eolas, one now feels compelled
                      into some voluntary Flash "eolas" because of the rampant misuse of those
                      blinking Flash ads.

                      The Vaio sz series seems to have the best mix of relatively lightweight, a
                      good choice of CPUs AND an nvidea graphics card.

                      Carel

                    • Les Irvin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Search the wiki to no avail on this.

                        I have a client who wants some panos put on a CD, so that when the disc is
                        inserted, the pano presentation shows up via the browser. Is it possible to
                        replicate a webpage on a CD using PTviewer as the pano engine?

                        Thanks in advance,

                        Les

                      • Rick Drew
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                          Just make the web page with relative links and create an autoplay file so
                          the browser loads.

                        • hmmsomethingelse
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                            When looking at the portable firefox browser version designed to run
                            from a memory stick it looked like you could have flash pre installed
                            on it. Which made me think you might be able to put it on a cd and
                            have it run and show pages with one of the flash 9 viewers like from
                            immervision. Possibly devalvr might run like this as well. I think
                            firefox even has a kiosk mode. Never actually tried the idea to see if
                            it would work in practice though.

                            If you put ptviewer panos you will have no way of knowing if the
                            client has java installed.