Flash-Controlled Object Turntable

  • Andrew Crawford
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      This might be of interest to some of the people discussing automated
      object movie production. This person built a turntable that rotates to
      the next position automatically after detecting a flash:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60552763@N00/433070672/in/pool-make/

      I'm not sure I would be shooting object movies with a flash but, it's an
      interesting idea.

      Andrew Crawford
    • David Sykes
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
        Andrew Crawford wrote:

        > I'm not sure I would be shooting object movies with a flash but,
        it's > an interesting idea.

        Curious idea, but I think I can see why.

        With my system, the microcontroller controls the table and the camera.

        However, if you are using a camera that does not have remote shutter
        or you do not want to 'hack' it for remote operation, this is a
        workable solution.

        I would put a visible-light-blocking (IR-pass) filter over the flash
        and use tungsten for the main lighting.

        You also need an option to do a 360 degree rotation without operating
        the camera so that you can check centring of the subject.

        David Sykes