RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: OT: A laptop for panos. Intel Core, duo core, core 2 duo..???

  • Rick Drew
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
      I'll also add -

      I've found that with LCD's - especially my laptop - that changing the
      viewing angle makes a huge difference. Now, I'm not talking the obvious. I
      found that if I tilt the LCD as far back as possible(not all the time - just
      to test the results) problems are revealed that would not be apparent
      otherwise (or if you used a CRT.) My Sigma has a lot of vignetting - but
      it's often not visible on the LCD. Tilt that LCD back as far as possible,
      and it's obvious.

      Rick Drew

    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
        Sony vaio screens are a bit safe from that, Apple ones are quite ok...
        Till now only the high-end LCDs are safe. I mean Lacie 319 and up.

        Rick Drew ha scritto:

        > I'll also add -
        >
        > I've found that with LCD's - especially my laptop - that changing the
        > viewing angle makes a huge difference. Now, I'm not talking the obvious. I
        > found that if I tilt the LCD as far back as possible(not all the time
        > - just
        > to test the results) problems are revealed that would not be apparent
        > otherwise (or if you used a CRT.) My Sigma has a lot of vignetting - but
        > it's often not visible on the LCD. Tilt that LCD back as far as possible,
        > and it's obvious.
        >
        > Rick Drew

      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
          Maybe this Wiki article could be of interest:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

          Each type has its own pitfalls. If you only look at one display(-type)
          concurrently, your eye will always "interpret" what you see and pretend
          to be "ok" (that's BTW the trick when mapping down HDR panoramas). If
          you have more than one, you either will start using a trade off which
          looks good on all screens (what i try to do), or you will start going nuts.
          E.g., here on my desk are 2 different displays:
          - An Acer "active matrix TFT" type:
          in terms of photo paper gradations it is a hard and glossy paper
          + fast, bright and brilliant colors (IMHO a little too "popping")
          - no real "black", image looks different from every viewing angle,
          reflective display
          - A Samsung "a-siTFT/PVA" type
          in terms of photo paper gradations it is a soft, and matte paper
          + good nuances of color, good "black", wide viewing angle with
          consistent image appearance
          - the backlight slightly tends towards yellow, so you sometimes miss
          some shades between yellow and white

          As said, most laptops that are on the market nowadays, use the first
          display type. I have an Acer with the same display as the (Acer) monitor
          above and the screen is better readable outdoors than the "older"
          laptop-displays - as long as you avoid having the Sun positioned exactly
          in the mirroring area...

          So, to make it short: Either don't care about the screen and select the
          laptop by choosing the one with the most needed features. Or you select
          _your_ optimal screen at your favorite dealer by comparing an image on
          the display with a calibrated photo printout (if you ever managed to
          calibrate your workflow ...) ;-)

          Just my 2Eurocent

          Best regards
          Bernhard
        • Carel
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
            Bernhard Vogl-2 wrote:

            > .......snip
            > - the backlight slightly tends towards yellow, so you sometimes miss
            > some shades between yellow and white
            > .......snip
            >
            > Best regards
            > Bernhard

            I will still use my dual monitor 3.4GHz desktop setup for work at home, so I
            am mainly aiming for something that gives a nice juicy image for convincing
            potential clients and with a processor that is not a huge step back from my
            3.4GHz desktop, to do some Photoshop and PTGui stuff "on the road".
            Like Luca I am a big fan of ultralight gear.
            At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has LED
            backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite of the glossy
            screen. White LED might give less yellow backlight than the usual
            electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop screens (...?).
            Many of the lighter notebooks use "Intel graphics media accelerator 950"
            which sounds like some integrated scheme with shared VRAM. The Vaio SZ
            series are one of the few who have a separate graphics card, which can be
            switched off for non graphics intensive work and longer battery life. I
            guess the graphics card is only realy needed for showing the panos. I dont
            think it makes a difference when using photoshop(...?).

            Carel

          • Victor
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
              > At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has
              > LED backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite
              > of the glossy screen. White LED might give less yellow backligh
              > than the usual electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop
              > screens (...?)

              Carel,

              I bought a VAIO SZ360 last December and am delighted with it. The
              backlighting is much better than average, and the screen does indeed
              have a pretty wide viewing angle. I can get a very decent calibration
              on the screen (using my Gretag Macbeth EyeOne) though it is much
              better when running the separate nVidia graphics processor than
              without it. The battery life is a bit longer when running the built
              in adapter, but it hasn't been a problem. With 2Gb and a fast dual
              core cpu, it runs the displayed panos very well and is quite
              serviceable as an on-the-road processing station. That, and it's
              small and light and has a decent keyboard for a touch-typist as well. :-)

              Obviously, you'll want to find someplace where you can check it out
              for yourself, but here's word from one pleased owner. BTW, the
              display characteristics was one of the reasons I went for the SZ,
              weight (I got the carbon fiber model) and a good keyboard were also
              important to me as I do use it for on-the-road text work as well as
              photos.

              Victor
            • dtonnes
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                Hi Carel,

                I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
                Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.

                The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
                beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
                display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
                into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.

                It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
                stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
                frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
                run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
                configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
                sure.

                I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.
              • Fabio Bustamante
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                  At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                  cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.

                  Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                  below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                  so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                  Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                  experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                  supports it, such as Shockwave?

                  If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                  need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                  and pronto.

                  Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                  and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                  dtonnes wrote:
                  > Hi Carel,
                  >
                  > I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
                  > Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.
                  >
                  > The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
                  > beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
                  > display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
                  > into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.
                  >
                  > It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
                  > stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
                  > frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
                  > run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
                  > configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
                  > sure.
                  >
                  > I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.

                • Ian Wood
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                    On 3 Apr 2007, at 21:17, Fabio Bustamante wrote:

                    > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                    > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                    Certainly not. If you want the best results out of DevalVR on
                    Windows, CubicNavigator or PangeaVR on Mac or SPi-V on either then
                    dedicated graphics are essential.

                    As a side-note, PTGui can gain quite a bit from dual cores - not for
                    single panos, but if you are doing several then you can send projects
                    to the batch stitcher while carrying on at nearly normal speed on the
                    next one, or adjusting the finished ones in Photoshop.

                    Ian
                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                      On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                      <contato@...> wrote:

                      > At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                      > cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                      >
                      > Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                      > below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                      > so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                      > Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                      > experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                      > supports it, such as Shockwave?
                      >
                      > If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                      > need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                      > and pronto.
                      >
                      > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                      > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                      Fabio,

                      I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                      eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                      solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                      etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                      presentations before the end of this year.

                      Roger

                      --
                      Work: www.adex-japan.com
                      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                        I hope you're right, Roger! :D

                        But let's not forget, as I was doing, DevalVR - It has hardware support
                        too. Unfortunately I can't tell which are the pros and cons of each
                        other because I really never got into the Direct X compatible viewers...

                        Fabio.

                        Roger D. Williams wrote:
                        > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                        > <contato@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                        >> cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                        >>
                        >> Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                        >> below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                        >> so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                        >> Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                        >> experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                        >> supports it, such as Shockwave?
                        >>
                        >> If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                        >> need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                        >> and pronto.
                        >>
                        >> Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                        >> and smoothness? Am I missing something?
                        >>

                        > Fabio,
                        >
                        > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                        > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                        > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                        > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                        > presentations before the end of this year.
                        >
                        > Roger

                      • Carel
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                          Roger D. Williams wrote:

                          > Fabio,
                          >
                          > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                          > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                          > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                          > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                          > presentations before the end of this year.
                          >
                          > Roger

                          Aldo has thought up some unique special effects for showing Shockwave panos,
                          but in the US, where broadband is slower than in most of Europe and much
                          slower than in Korea or Japan, these special panos take a long time to load.
                          I am very happy with the devalvr plugin, which shows the pano hardware
                          accelerated when available. A "normal" Shockwave pano still takes longer to
                          load. Of course the install base for Shockwave is bigger, but not big enough
                          to compete with Flash or even Quicktime. Also, I suspect I am not the only
                          one who has blocked Flash (and thereby Shockwave) now that so many websites
                          have those extremely annoying Flash ads and banners. It is ironic that after
                          having modified everything to circumvent Eolas, one now feels compelled
                          into some voluntary Flash "eolas" because of the rampant misuse of those
                          blinking Flash ads.

                          The Vaio sz series seems to have the best mix of relatively lightweight, a
                          good choice of CPUs AND an nvidea graphics card.

                          Carel

                        • Les Irvin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                            Search the wiki to no avail on this.

                            I have a client who wants some panos put on a CD, so that when the disc is
                            inserted, the pano presentation shows up via the browser. Is it possible to
                            replicate a webpage on a CD using PTviewer as the pano engine?

                            Thanks in advance,

                            Les

                          • Rick Drew
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                              Just make the web page with relative links and create an autoplay file so
                              the browser loads.

                            • hmmsomethingelse
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                                When looking at the portable firefox browser version designed to run
                                from a memory stick it looked like you could have flash pre installed
                                on it. Which made me think you might be able to put it on a cd and
                                have it run and show pages with one of the flash 9 viewers like from
                                immervision. Possibly devalvr might run like this as well. I think
                                firefox even has a kiosk mode. Never actually tried the idea to see if
                                it would work in practice though.

                                If you put ptviewer panos you will have no way of knowing if the
                                client has java installed.