Re: [PanoToolsNG] OT: A laptop for panos. Intel Core, duo core, core 2 duo..???

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi, Kathy....
      About dimensions: When I go somewhere working I like to travel really
      light. It is such a sufference to work with digital (you are bended to
      some electricity plug!).. but when is needed I also carry my laptop with
      me (Portege Toshiba). Some years ago I switched from a 2nd hand toshiba
      11" that had 1.4kg weight, to another 2nd hand one that in 1.8 kg has
      12" and the burner too. Sometimes I regret the choice. I'm really
      looking to the OQO, to the Samsung or the Sony 8" touchscreens. I could
      use them also to fully remote the camera.
      Laptop for me meand controlling the shots, burning spare DVDs, and
      building the projects the BIG machine will stitch.
      For macs, I know OSX is coming from free BSD... The only one linux I
      used is Ubuntu, and it worked pretty well. My path was from Commodore 64
      to 128, Amiga series, and then, after a long period without computers,
      win 98, NT, 2000, In this moment I intended to switch to an OS9 mac....
      and finally the nirvana of the solid XP. Many reasons around why I
      really don't like macs.... and one, yes, is price! In Italy, for example
      the 13" basic (NO DVD BURNER) still costs around 1200eur, the same price
      my girlfriend payed for a 15.4" Vaio FULLY LOADED with 100gb HD, 1Gb ram
      etc etc. In PCs there are a lot of offers that lower down the prices.
      Fully understand that other people may like macs... I've 45 to manage in
      the university lab, never ended to like them.
      :-)
      Ok, other thing: Applications! Stealing software is WRONG! and some
      certain retouching software we use is DAMN'EXPENSIVE. I've got it in the
      educational flavour, since I work in university. Well, I decided to
      switch. It will be costy for me, I know. And I decided not to give "that
      commercial software" courses any more.
      I switch open source, and I switch my teaching opensource too.
      Opensouce, free software and fairly priced software. 80percent of my
      students has windows machines, 10 percent has macs, 10 percent has no
      computer and uses our macs...
      ...obviously, the 10 percent of them is using legal software. Can you
      guess who?
      In defence I can say too many of them are really working hard (black
      work, underpayed etc) to help their parents paying not only university
      fees, but also the unrasonable fees they must afford to live in any
      university city here in Italy. Buying software, even in edu version,
      would be worse than unsustainable for them.
      And than, people who really could, is wasting money everywhere in
      gadget, fashion, cool things (hate to say iPods and macs have mainly
      this connotates in Italy), and maybe also reciving social help from
      university, cause their parents are lawyers whose taxes declaration are
      quite zero (our system allows this)
      But I hate the message that passes, stealing software remains wrong.
      Software fees are always a barrier to entrance in work market. For
      serious pro there is no more job: everybody asks to freelance- grey
      workers- students. Quality? Nobody cares any more. Little and medium
      companies in Italy do not care any more. All this little new workers
      uses stolen soft and has no "studio" to mantain. They can be underpayed
      or not payed at all. Do you know the process of desertification?
      Here in Italy we are doing the same thing in economy and society, going
      towards a 3rd world economic model. So we need 3rd world approach, just
      like MIT OLPC project, we have to restart from zero a culture of
      opensource, and legality.
      :-(
      I far better prefer Austria and Germany for all these things. Students
      are considered a resource for the country, not a "cost".
      Luca.

      Kathy Wheeler ha scritto:

      > On 02/04/2007, at 7:14 PM, Luca Vascon wrote:
      > > Mac laptops in the lightweight serie are not really feature loaded
      > > (you've to pay to have a serious dvd burner) and aren't neither
      > > really compact or lightweight, but they do have a great screen. I'd
      > > get one and run windows xp or a linux on it, since I never realy
      > > liked OSX...
      >
      > Luca!! :-( OS X is FreeBSD Unix in a sexy anti-aliased GUI! Linux
      > (yes I've used at least 3 different flavours) is a close "cousin". I
      > wasn't going to get drawn into this thread ... but I *love* my 17" OS
      > X PowerBook. When I upgrade / replace it (not for another few years -
      > Apple hardware lasts well) it'll be for the equivalent in whatever
      > intel model Apple is making around that time (ok so maybe it'll be a
      > "used" not "new" model ;-)
      >
      > > my moneywise choice would be a white 12"mac with Linux to show
      > > things to customers.
      >
      > I still have a fondness for Linux but the apps support still sucks.
      > It's just too much hard work to get things working and sometimes you
      > don't have the time or energy (or colour printer drivers, or the
      > right video driver, sound card driver, and don't even try to find a
      > current web-cam driver ... etc) ... besides 12" is WAY too small to
      > show things off, especially panos. 14" should be the minimum. My
      > daughter was looking at the new MacBooks recently and was impressed
      > by the (small) price tag.
      >
      > > My effective one would be Panasonic, or tiny Vaio, or Flybook (the
      > > 12"one, with erectile monitor)... Would nice to test the screens
      > > all together (maybe Fujitsu Stylistic included) Sorry to say
      > > Toshiba seems not to have great noveltys in Portege serie.
      >
      > Many of the bigger names (in the intel world) seemed to have dropped
      > the ball so to speak lately. Nothing really stands out any more -
      > they're all trying to sell on gimmicks.
      >
      > Regards,
      > KathyW.

    • rox_ana_mustata
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
        On my new notebook (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1536, Intel Core 2 Duo
        T5500 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 128 MB) the
        panorama images load (with Deval) a little faster than on my old
        desktop (AMD Barton 2500+, 1 GB RAM, ATI RADEON 9200 SE AGP 128 MB).
        When I work with PTGui the notebook is slower than the desktop. 3
        PTGui projects take about 45 min on AMD and ~52 min on Intel. About
        the advantages of having a dual coreÂ…when working on PTGui stitch the
        internet browser open with similar speed (better say similar lack of
        good speed). Do not forget the disadvantages of a TFT screen. The
        black will probably never be black and with all the notebooks that I
        had so far all of them had problem with the yellow (not enough, very
        hard to adjust).

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

        > I am thinking of getting a new laptop. It will have to be able to
        showcase
        > panos in the smoothest possible way on a bright screen with a wide
        viewing
        > angle. I am a bit confused about all those duo core varieties out
        there.
        > They all emphasize multi-tasking, but what I am interested in is if
        the
        > number of cores makes a difference when just working in one program
        like
        > Photoshop. At the moment my fastest PC is a 3.4GHz Pentium 4. So
        how do I
        > figure out how much faster or slower a duo core of say 1.66GHz or 2
        GHz is
        > and would a core 2 duo speed up a process in photoshop any more
        than a core
        > duo with in the same GHz range?
        >
        > Carel Struycken

      • Rick Drew
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
          I'll also add -

          I've found that with LCD's - especially my laptop - that changing the
          viewing angle makes a huge difference. Now, I'm not talking the obvious. I
          found that if I tilt the LCD as far back as possible(not all the time - just
          to test the results) problems are revealed that would not be apparent
          otherwise (or if you used a CRT.) My Sigma has a lot of vignetting - but
          it's often not visible on the LCD. Tilt that LCD back as far as possible,
          and it's obvious.

          Rick Drew

        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
            Sony vaio screens are a bit safe from that, Apple ones are quite ok...
            Till now only the high-end LCDs are safe. I mean Lacie 319 and up.

            Rick Drew ha scritto:

            > I'll also add -
            >
            > I've found that with LCD's - especially my laptop - that changing the
            > viewing angle makes a huge difference. Now, I'm not talking the obvious. I
            > found that if I tilt the LCD as far back as possible(not all the time
            > - just
            > to test the results) problems are revealed that would not be apparent
            > otherwise (or if you used a CRT.) My Sigma has a lot of vignetting - but
            > it's often not visible on the LCD. Tilt that LCD back as far as possible,
            > and it's obvious.
            >
            > Rick Drew

          • Bernhard Vogl
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
              Maybe this Wiki article could be of interest:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

              Each type has its own pitfalls. If you only look at one display(-type)
              concurrently, your eye will always "interpret" what you see and pretend
              to be "ok" (that's BTW the trick when mapping down HDR panoramas). If
              you have more than one, you either will start using a trade off which
              looks good on all screens (what i try to do), or you will start going nuts.
              E.g., here on my desk are 2 different displays:
              - An Acer "active matrix TFT" type:
              in terms of photo paper gradations it is a hard and glossy paper
              + fast, bright and brilliant colors (IMHO a little too "popping")
              - no real "black", image looks different from every viewing angle,
              reflective display
              - A Samsung "a-siTFT/PVA" type
              in terms of photo paper gradations it is a soft, and matte paper
              + good nuances of color, good "black", wide viewing angle with
              consistent image appearance
              - the backlight slightly tends towards yellow, so you sometimes miss
              some shades between yellow and white

              As said, most laptops that are on the market nowadays, use the first
              display type. I have an Acer with the same display as the (Acer) monitor
              above and the screen is better readable outdoors than the "older"
              laptop-displays - as long as you avoid having the Sun positioned exactly
              in the mirroring area...

              So, to make it short: Either don't care about the screen and select the
              laptop by choosing the one with the most needed features. Or you select
              _your_ optimal screen at your favorite dealer by comparing an image on
              the display with a calibrated photo printout (if you ever managed to
              calibrate your workflow ...) ;-)

              Just my 2Eurocent

              Best regards
              Bernhard
            • Carel
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
                Bernhard Vogl-2 wrote:

                > .......snip
                > - the backlight slightly tends towards yellow, so you sometimes miss
                > some shades between yellow and white
                > .......snip
                >
                > Best regards
                > Bernhard

                I will still use my dual monitor 3.4GHz desktop setup for work at home, so I
                am mainly aiming for something that gives a nice juicy image for convincing
                potential clients and with a processor that is not a huge step back from my
                3.4GHz desktop, to do some Photoshop and PTGui stuff "on the road".
                Like Luca I am a big fan of ultralight gear.
                At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has LED
                backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite of the glossy
                screen. White LED might give less yellow backlight than the usual
                electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop screens (...?).
                Many of the lighter notebooks use "Intel graphics media accelerator 950"
                which sounds like some integrated scheme with shared VRAM. The Vaio SZ
                series are one of the few who have a separate graphics card, which can be
                switched off for non graphics intensive work and longer battery life. I
                guess the graphics card is only realy needed for showing the panos. I dont
                think it makes a difference when using photoshop(...?).

                Carel

              • Victor
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
                  > At the moment I am intrigued by the Vaio SZ series, which has
                  > LED backlighting and supposedly a wide viewing angle, in spite
                  > of the glossy screen. White LED might give less yellow backligh
                  > than the usual electroluminescent backlighting used for laptop
                  > screens (...?)

                  Carel,

                  I bought a VAIO SZ360 last December and am delighted with it. The
                  backlighting is much better than average, and the screen does indeed
                  have a pretty wide viewing angle. I can get a very decent calibration
                  on the screen (using my Gretag Macbeth EyeOne) though it is much
                  better when running the separate nVidia graphics processor than
                  without it. The battery life is a bit longer when running the built
                  in adapter, but it hasn't been a problem. With 2Gb and a fast dual
                  core cpu, it runs the displayed panos very well and is quite
                  serviceable as an on-the-road processing station. That, and it's
                  small and light and has a decent keyboard for a touch-typist as well. :-)

                  Obviously, you'll want to find someplace where you can check it out
                  for yourself, but here's word from one pleased owner. BTW, the
                  display characteristics was one of the reasons I went for the SZ,
                  weight (I got the carbon fiber model) and a good keyboard were also
                  important to me as I do use it for on-the-road text work as well as
                  photos.

                  Victor
                • dtonnes
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Hi Carel,

                    I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
                    Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.

                    The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
                    beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
                    display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
                    into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.

                    It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
                    stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
                    frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
                    run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
                    configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
                    sure.

                    I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.
                  • Fabio Bustamante
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                      At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                      cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.

                      Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                      below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                      so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                      Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                      experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                      supports it, such as Shockwave?

                      If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                      need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                      and pronto.

                      Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                      and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                      dtonnes wrote:
                      > Hi Carel,
                      >
                      > I was in a similar quandary a couple of months ago and ended up with a Dell
                      > Inspiron 9400. It's large and heavy, but it's been a reliable workhorse.
                      >
                      > The 17" screen's 1920 x 1200, tight pixel spacing shows fullscreen panos
                      > beautifully. It has a Geforce 7900 graphics card which allows GLpanoview to
                      > display big equirectangular images fluidly and without aliasing. Plug it
                      > into a 1080p HDTV and you'll blow people away. It is unbeatable.
                      >
                      > It's got a Core2Duo T7200, 7200rpm hd, and 2gb ram, which makes it a decent
                      > stand-in for a desktop machine, which was important because I travel
                      > frequently and it allows me to process panos in the evenings. I routinely
                      > run PTGui and Photoshop and it's snappy enough, although I wish it could be
                      > configured with 4gb of ram - that would make it a Photoshop machine for
                      > sure.
                      >
                      > I purchased it from an Ebay reseller for around $1600.

                    • Ian Wood
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                        On 3 Apr 2007, at 21:17, Fabio Bustamante wrote:

                        > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                        > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                        Certainly not. If you want the best results out of DevalVR on
                        Windows, CubicNavigator or PangeaVR on Mac or SPi-V on either then
                        dedicated graphics are essential.

                        As a side-note, PTGui can gain quite a bit from dual cores - not for
                        single panos, but if you are doing several then you can send projects
                        to the batch stitcher while carrying on at nearly normal speed on the
                        next one, or adjusting the finished ones in Photoshop.

                        Ian
                      • Roger D. Williams
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                          On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                          <contato@...> wrote:

                          > At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                          > cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                          >
                          > Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                          > below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                          > so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                          > Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                          > experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                          > supports it, such as Shockwave?
                          >
                          > If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                          > need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                          > and pronto.
                          >
                          > Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                          > and smoothness? Am I missing something?

                          Fabio,

                          I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                          eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                          solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                          etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                          presentations before the end of this year.

                          Roger

                          --
                          Work: www.adex-japan.com
                          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                            I hope you're right, Roger! :D

                            But let's not forget, as I was doing, DevalVR - It has hardware support
                            too. Unfortunately I can't tell which are the pros and cons of each
                            other because I really never got into the Direct X compatible viewers...

                            Fabio.

                            Roger D. Williams wrote:
                            > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:17:45 +0900, Fabio Bustamante
                            > <contato@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> At the beginning of this topic I mentioned hardware accelerated video
                            >> cards. I find it interesting that almost nobody else cared about it.
                            >>
                            >> Some of these notebooks has quite big resolutions (such as 1920x1200
                            >> below) that would take a lot of processing power to deal with. Why use
                            >> so much (expensive) brute force to drag inneficient engines such as
                            >> Java, Flash or Quicktime if you can have the smoothest viewing
                            >> experience by using an accelerated video hardware and a engine that
                            >> supports it, such as Shockwave?
                            >>
                            >> If the idea is to show the panos locally, then there's absolutely no
                            >> need to worry about compatibility. Just install the plugin needed once
                            >> and pronto.
                            >>
                            >> Isn't taking advantage of an accelerated GPU the way to go for quality
                            >> and smoothness? Am I missing something?
                            >>

                            > Fabio,
                            >
                            > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                            > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                            > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                            > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                            > presentations before the end of this year.
                            >
                            > Roger

                          • Carel
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                              Roger D. Williams wrote:

                              > Fabio,
                              >
                              > I think you are, in so many words, putting a very strong case for the
                              > eventual triumph of Shockwave! What you say makes so much sense, and
                              > solves so many sticky problems of compatibility and installing plugins,
                              > etc., that I expect to see Shockwave dominating immersive panorama
                              > presentations before the end of this year.
                              >
                              > Roger

                              Aldo has thought up some unique special effects for showing Shockwave panos,
                              but in the US, where broadband is slower than in most of Europe and much
                              slower than in Korea or Japan, these special panos take a long time to load.
                              I am very happy with the devalvr plugin, which shows the pano hardware
                              accelerated when available. A "normal" Shockwave pano still takes longer to
                              load. Of course the install base for Shockwave is bigger, but not big enough
                              to compete with Flash or even Quicktime. Also, I suspect I am not the only
                              one who has blocked Flash (and thereby Shockwave) now that so many websites
                              have those extremely annoying Flash ads and banners. It is ironic that after
                              having modified everything to circumvent Eolas, one now feels compelled
                              into some voluntary Flash "eolas" because of the rampant misuse of those
                              blinking Flash ads.

                              The Vaio sz series seems to have the best mix of relatively lightweight, a
                              good choice of CPUs AND an nvidea graphics card.

                              Carel

                            • Les Irvin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                                Search the wiki to no avail on this.

                                I have a client who wants some panos put on a CD, so that when the disc is
                                inserted, the pano presentation shows up via the browser. Is it possible to
                                replicate a webpage on a CD using PTviewer as the pano engine?

                                Thanks in advance,

                                Les

                              • Rick Drew
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                                  Just make the web page with relative links and create an autoplay file so
                                  the browser loads.

                                • hmmsomethingelse
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                                    When looking at the portable firefox browser version designed to run
                                    from a memory stick it looked like you could have flash pre installed
                                    on it. Which made me think you might be able to put it on a cd and
                                    have it run and show pages with one of the flash 9 viewers like from
                                    immervision. Possibly devalvr might run like this as well. I think
                                    firefox even has a kiosk mode. Never actually tried the idea to see if
                                    it would work in practice though.

                                    If you put ptviewer panos you will have no way of knowing if the
                                    client has java installed.