Re: Suggestions for Optimising Spherical Image Quality for WWP Submission?

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
      >> Wheaton, Simon wrote:
      > >
      > > I guess that in moving from cylindrical to spherical, I will have to
      > > accept lesser quality panos, as there is more information in the
      > > spherical image to fit into each of the WWP maximum file sizes for
      > > preview and full screen, when compared to fitting a cylindrical image
      > > into the same WWP maximum file sizes, is this correct?
      > Wheaton, Simon wrote:
      > >
      > > Do you output at these sizes from PTGui, or do you output from PTGui at
      > > maximum optimum size, and then resize for WWP in Photoshop or similar?
      > >

      > Better to output from PTGui, since this saves one interpolation step and
      > speeds up computation

      Be carefull with that.
      Resizing directly from PTGui will cause pixalation in some subjects if you do it to smaller
      sizes than 60% of you max resolution.
      This seems to have been a bug in PTGui since long ago and it is the same on Mac and
      Windows.

      This means if your originals give you a max size of 10.000 you can output a 6000 from
      PTgui but than you have to resize this in Photoshop to 3000 for the smaller.

      I always output full resolution from PTGui and optimize that original for colors and
      sharpening and ev. stitching errors.
      For fullscreen I resize it to 6000x3000 and use a cubeface of usually 1500x1500

      > Wheaton, Simon wrote:
      > >
      > > What sort of settings do you use in Pano2QTVR for best pano quality?
      > >

      > For large: High quality panning and Max statical, for small: Normal for
      > panning and Max statical.

      Erik, are you sure you did not make a typo.

      You can use High Quality panning for small movies but for large fullscreen you should use
      normal as panning can get very stuttering with high quality.
      Especially on an older machine.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
        On Monday, April 02, 2007 at 9:23, Hans Nyberg wrote:

        > > Better to output from PTGui, since this saves one interpolation step and
        > > speeds up computation
        >
        > Be carefull with that. Resizing directly from PTGui will cause
        > pixalation in some subjects if you do it to smaller sizes than 60% of
        > you max resolution. This seems to have been a bug in PTGui since long
        > ago and it is the same on Mac and Windows.

        With PTGui internal remap or with Panotools remap? And which
        interpolator?

        > This means if your originals give you a max size of 10.000 you can
        > output a 6000 from PTgui but than you have to resize this in Photoshop
        > to 3000 for the smaller.

        My usual panos give a max size of about 12000 and I usually output
        8000. With PTGui internal Lanczos I didn't see any problems. Well,
        that's above the limit, I see... Thanks for the info!

        > > For large: High quality panning and Max statical, for small: Normal for
        > > panning and Max statical.
        > >

        > Erik, are you sure you did not make a typo.
        >
        > You can use High Quality panning for small movies but for large fullscreen you should use
        > normal as panning can get very stuttering with high quality.
        > Especially on an older machine.

        Yes, intentionally. High quality - both small and large version -
        doesn't even pan on my fathers old mac, but since I hate the
        shimmering from bad (or no?) anti-aliasing and I suppose that most
        users of old machines will stick with the small version anyway I want
        the best viewing experience for full screen and recent computers.

        best regards
        --
        Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
        Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007

          > > Be carefull with that. Resizing directly from PTGui will cause
          > > pixalation in some subjects if you do it to smaller sizes than 60% of
          > > you max resolution. This seems to have been a bug in PTGui since long
          > > ago and it is the same on Mac and Windows.
          >
          > With PTGui internal remap or with Panotools remap? And which
          > interpolator?

          Actually it was John who pointed this out to me.
          I did not believe him first but after some experiments I could see it was true.

          As far as I remember it has nothing to do with the interpolator choosed.
          This must be in the initial resizing step PTgui makes before remapping.