Re: [PanoToolsNG] Press Release

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
      Ha, ha. Very funny. But maybe better on the -List list rather
      than here on the NG list, where it may puzzle people and is
      really quite OT.

      Roger

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
        ROTFL!!!
        :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
        I'd do it only to take the satisfaction to kick him in the ass in public.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hello all,

          Although humour is always risky on an international list (see the
          user guidelines), the issue was not so much the joke as the topic.

          One of the primary reasons for the '-List' sub-list is to have a
          place where discussion of panoramic politics can take place *without*
          cluttering up the PanoToolsNG list and annoying those members who are
          only here for photography.

          User Guidelines
          <http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines>

          'Political' -List
          <http:// groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/>

          Ian Wood and the moderators of the PanoToolsNG list

          On 1 Apr 2007, at 14:59, Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:

          > Is it april first today all around the world, or just in Brazil? ;-)
          > Relax, Ian, it's just a joke.
          > Regards,
          > Rodolpho Pajuaba
        • robert_harshman
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
            I find this thread in bad taste, OT and where's a moderator when you
            need one? Why they are joining in.

            Look I don't have any history with or side of this battle that happen
            in the past and crops up now and then but as a user of this list I find
            this thread in very bad taste and I'm having a hard time believing it's
            not been shut down already. So, I guess it's OK to call for physical
            violence if the list moderators really dislike the person that is being
            threatened?

            I do not know or really care about the past riff with this list and the
            prior one, I'm not taking sides here as I don't see how it's relevant
            to discussing VR, Panos, etc. but I do find this posting quite
            irrelevant and in very bad taste.

            I think the moderators of this list should be ashamed and step back and
            review what they consider OK to post on this list.

            Robert Harshman
          • Mark D. Fink
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
              Robert,

              Based on your email, I have to admit I have no idea what you are talking
              about. Could you provide more detail as to which post you are referring
              to?

              Thanks,

              Mark

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                On Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 14:43, robert_harshman wrote:

                [nothing that belongs on that list]

                Please don't reply to the message of Robert and to this one. This is
                very off topic on this list. Please read
                http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines.

                If you have any complaints, adress them to the moderators directly:
                PanoToolsNG-owner@yahoogroups.com or discuss them on

                best regards
                PanotoolsNG and Panotools-List moderator
              • Yuval Levy
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                  For immediate release.

                  MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
                  night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
                  revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
                  was good news for panoramic photography.

                  This is the biggest Summer of Code ever and Google has shown tremendous
                  generosity by massively increasing the number of accepted applicants -
                  from 600 (last year) to 800 (this year's budget), then to 900 during
                  preliminary allocation to end up at "over 900 from a pool of over 3,000
                  student and nearly 6,200 applications". [1]

                  Following up on an idea of Pablo d'Angelo (the initiator of hugin),
                  Yuval Levy set in motion a team effort to build a mentoring organization
                  [2] with recognized experts from the community and beyond.

                  This community effort [3] was recognized by Google who accepted the
                  hugin/panotools bid to be one of 131 accredited mentoring organization
                  (out of over 300 applications) in the same league as established open
                  source projects such as MySQL, Mozilla, Drupal and FreeBSD.

                  The following projects are scheduled for completition by August 31 [4]:

                  Pedro Alonso from Spain, mentored by Herbert Bay from Switzerland, will
                  develop a new algorythm to identify better control points, so critical
                  to the stitching process [5]

                  Ippei Ukai from Japan currently in Scotland, mentored by Yuval Levy from
                  Israel currently in Canada, will produce a new user interface to make
                  this versatile tools even easier to use on multiple platforms
                  (Windows/Mac/Linux/Unix) [6]

                  Jing Jin from USA, mentored by Pablo d'Angelo from Germany, will develop
                  a robust blending algorithm to eliminate ghosting in HDR panoramas to
                  widen the range of applications for the HDR technique beyond the
                  perfectly still scenes [7]

                  Mohammad Shahiduzzaman from Bangladesh, mentored by John Cupitt from UK,
                  will look at the current bottleneck in panorama rendering to enable
                  efficient processing of very large images [8]

                  Leon Monctezuma from Mexico, mentored by Aldo Hoeben from The
                  Netherlands, will build on the community effort started last year to
                  produce a modern, native, universal VR viewer to support the widest
                  variety of panorama formats on multiple platforms [9]

                  "Each of these projects has the potential to have a big impact on how we
                  make and use panoramas and I am thankful to Google for this great
                  opportunity and to all those community members who participated actively
                  in the inception of this initiative." said a visibly happy Yuval Levy.
                  "Please welcome these student's contribution to the community and
                  support them with all means you can afford".

                  A number of community support initiatives are planned throughout the
                  summer. Current open source code contributors can contribute over the
                  established developers mailing lists [10],[11],[12],[13]

                  ABOUT HUGIN

                  hugin is the most advanced open source panorama stitching solution with
                  unique features such as embedded chromatic aberration correction and HDR
                  stitching. Initiated by Pablo d'Angelo, it is further developed and
                  supported by a wide community of open source developers and panorama
                  enthusiasts. [14],[15]

                  ABOUT PANOTOOLS

                  panotools is the most versatile open source collection of tools for
                  perspective manipulation. Initially developed by Helmut Dersch in 1998,
                  it is currently supported by open source developers and used by a number
                  of commercial photo stitching products. [16],[17]

                  ABOUT GOOGLE SUMMER OF CODE TM

                  Google Summer of Code TM is a program that offers student developers
                  stipends to write code for various open source projects. Google works
                  with several open source, free software and technology-related groups to
                  identify and fund several projects over a three month period. [18],[19]

                  ABOUT GOOGLE INC.

                  Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people
                  around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford
                  Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web
                  property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising
                  program, which is the largest and fastest growing in the industry,
                  provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while
                  enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered
                  in Silicon Valley with offices throughout North America, Europe, and
                  Asia. For more information, visit [20].

                  LINKS

                  [1] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/about.html>
                  [2] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_application>
                  [3] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters>
                  [4] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729>
                  [5] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=7C5ED822CD597EB1>
                  [6] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=E3AF6F5D4085A144>
                  [7] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=D94EFD474FA52C37>
                  [8] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=96B84CC76EDE0DBB>
                  [9] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=A56B2DB4C8B876F0>
                  [10] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Discussion_lists>
                  [12] <http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx>
                  [14] <http://hugin.sourceforge.net/>
                  [15] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin>
                  [16] <http://panotools.sourceforge.net/>
                  [17] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools>
                  [18] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60266&topic=10726>
                  [19] <http://code.google.com/soc/>
                  [20] <http://www.google.com/>

                  --
                  Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                    Thank you Yuval and everyone involved who manage to get so many projects
                    accepted by Googles summer of Code.

                    --
                    Jim Watters

                    Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                    jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                    http://photocreations.ca
                  • Andrew Crawford
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                      Yuval Levy wrote:
                      > For immediate release.
                      >
                      > MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
                      > night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
                      > revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
                      > was good news for panoramic photography.

                      > Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

                      Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

                      Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
                      so that we can point non-list-members at it?

                      Andrew Crawford
                    • Andrew Crawford
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                        Andrew Crawford wrote:
                        > Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

                        > Andrew Crawford

                        Er ... of course, I intended to write "thank you so much for
                        *spearheading* this for the community." No slight to the others who
                        helped with this intended.

                        Andrew Crawford
                      • Yuval Levy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                          Andrew Crawford wrote:
                          >> Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

                          > Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
                          > so that we can point non-list-members at it?

                          no need to post it on the wiki. non-members can look at it:

                          Yuv