Re: CS3 software pricing disparity

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

      > Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
      > Paul Fawley.

      Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

      Hans
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

        > This guy does not seem to be able to read
        >
        > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
        upgrade
        > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
        > Here are the UK and German prices.
        >
        > UK
        > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD

        Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
        Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
        and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
        Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
        letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
        the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
        Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
        like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

        Also, 599 UKP +vat = 703 UKP = 1383 USD (vat @ 17.5%)

        John
      • Steve Climpson
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          On 1/4/07 14:21, "Ian Wood" <panolists@...> wrote:

          >> Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
          >> Paul Fawley.

          I'm aware of that but Paul did not post the link to the online petition.
          I also think its worth pointing out that this is grossly unfair to the
          Europeans and shows a very strange attitude to a large user base.

          On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

          > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

          They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
          Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
          the USA is 440 dollars.
          The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
          vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
          I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
          I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

          Kind Regards

          Steve

          Steve Climpson

          Pro Imaging
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Climpson <steve@...> wrote:

            > On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.
            >
            > They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
            > Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
            > the USA is 440 dollars.
            > The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
            > vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
            > I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
            > I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

            Sorry but that is not what he says
            With new products comes new pricing... fair enough. However, prices for the
            same product (i.e. the mac design upgrade from CS2) go from 599$ for an
            upgrade in the US to 1'057$ in Switzerland and 1'134$ in France and Germany,
            the worse being 1'178 $ for the UK... not fair enough! (all prices excl. tax).

            Prices in Europe have always been a little higher, but 190% is pushing i
            End of Quote

            As you can see this is not the premium.
            The upgrade prices he quotes for Germany and UK are the same as i have found
            UK
            599pound +vat = 1179 USD +VAT
            Germany
            849 euro+VAT english = 1135 USD +VAT
            However he claims that the US upgrade is $599 which is a large difference from the true
            $899

            The real differences are not at all 190% as he claims but 120-30% max

            What you also has to remember is that the dolarr now is very cheap.
            You can not calculate euro prices on that.
            If the dollar just gains to the price it had a couple of months ago the difference will be
            much less. Adobe is not changing price here in Europe because the dollar gains 10%
            This is also the same the other way when european companies sell in US.

            Hans
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@> wrote:
              > >
              > > This guy does not seem to be able to read
              > >
              > > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
              > upgrade
              > > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
              > > Here are the UK and German prices.
              > >
              > > UK
              > > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD
              >
              > Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
              > Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
              > and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
              > Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
              > letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
              > the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
              > Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
              > like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

              John
              I am referring to the website he is linking to.
              http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

              Hans
            • Paul F
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                On 1 Apr 2007, at 14:36, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                > Hi Ian,
                >
                > True, but not all emails sent to this list make it through for some
                > reason. Quite often it's difficult to follow certain threads due to
                > missing emails or private replies. I know I'm missing emails because
                > I can often read the emails I've missed as quotes in other replies. I
                > think it's time the moderators seriously considered moving this list
                > to a more stable platform.

                Tis true,

                yahoo is not very reliable, with missing posts, bouncing accounts,
                multiple deliveries etc.

                Steve Climpson is one of the people who has put time into this and
                other campaigns with great results in the past.
                Can I just add that anyone considering sending the adobe email also
                cc it to bjp.editor@..., at least then someone will have
                some indication of the
                number of participants.

                Cheers

              • Steve Climpson
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                  On 1/4/07 18:20, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                  > I am referring to the website he is linking to.
                  > http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

                  I'm sorry but there is some confusion here. The petition I mentioned was not
                  started by Pro Imaging and nothing to do with me and I should have pointed
                  that out. I admit that the figures on the petition site are a little suspect
                  but in the letter I posted the figures are accurate as of todays Adobe
                  website.
                  I'll write to the person who started the petition and suggest that he checks
                  his figures.

                  Meanwhile the main thrust of the argument that Adobe has huge price
                  disparities between the USA and non USA and that this is unfair is correct.

                  Kind Regards

                  Steve

                  Steve Climpson

                  Pro Imaging