Re: CS3 software pricing disparity

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      On Apr 1, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Steve Climpson wrote:

      > If you use Adobe software, e.g. photoshop, and are thinking of
      > upgrading to
      > CS3 then you may be interested to learn of the huge price disparity
      > if you
      > buy outside of the USA.
      > The Pro Imaging group (www.pro-imaging.org) of professional
      > photographers is
      > launching an email campaign against this starting at 4pm Monday to
      > arrive in
      > the morning in California.
      > If interested then please send the letter (or write your own) below
      > to the 4
      > email addresses listed.
      >
      > There is a petition started at
      > http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-
      > software.html

      Well there is a difference but I advice you to check the prices.

      This guy does not seem to be able to read

      The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade
      from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
      Here are the UK and German prices.

      UK
      599pound +vat = 1179 USD

      Germany
      849 euro+VAT english = 1135 USD

      This makes the differences much smaller.
      Actually they always been this as long as I remember.
      Of course if you want a German or a Danish version you have to pay a
      little more but that has also always been the case.

      Hans

      Hans Nyberg
      Panoramas.dk<http://www.panoramas.dk> Features Fullscreen QTVR from
      the best VR Photographers
      email: hans@...
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

        > Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
        > Paul Fawley.

        Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

        Hans
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

          > This guy does not seem to be able to read
          >
          > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
          upgrade
          > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
          > Here are the UK and German prices.
          >
          > UK
          > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD

          Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
          Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
          and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
          Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
          letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
          the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
          Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
          like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

          Also, 599 UKP +vat = 703 UKP = 1383 USD (vat @ 17.5%)

          John
        • Steve Climpson
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            On 1/4/07 14:21, "Ian Wood" <panolists@...> wrote:

            >> Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
            >> Paul Fawley.

            I'm aware of that but Paul did not post the link to the online petition.
            I also think its worth pointing out that this is grossly unfair to the
            Europeans and shows a very strange attitude to a large user base.

            On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

            > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

            They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
            Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
            the USA is 440 dollars.
            The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
            vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
            I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
            I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

            Kind Regards

            Steve

            Steve Climpson

            Pro Imaging
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Climpson <steve@...> wrote:

              > On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.
              >
              > They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
              > Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
              > the USA is 440 dollars.
              > The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
              > vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
              > I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
              > I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

              Sorry but that is not what he says
              With new products comes new pricing... fair enough. However, prices for the
              same product (i.e. the mac design upgrade from CS2) go from 599$ for an
              upgrade in the US to 1'057$ in Switzerland and 1'134$ in France and Germany,
              the worse being 1'178 $ for the UK... not fair enough! (all prices excl. tax).

              Prices in Europe have always been a little higher, but 190% is pushing i
              End of Quote

              As you can see this is not the premium.
              The upgrade prices he quotes for Germany and UK are the same as i have found
              UK
              599pound +vat = 1179 USD +VAT
              Germany
              849 euro+VAT english = 1135 USD +VAT
              However he claims that the US upgrade is $599 which is a large difference from the true
              $899

              The real differences are not at all 190% as he claims but 120-30% max

              What you also has to remember is that the dolarr now is very cheap.
              You can not calculate euro prices on that.
              If the dollar just gains to the price it had a couple of months ago the difference will be
              much less. Adobe is not changing price here in Europe because the dollar gains 10%
              This is also the same the other way when european companies sell in US.

              Hans
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@> wrote:
                > >
                > > This guy does not seem to be able to read
                > >
                > > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
                > upgrade
                > > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
                > > Here are the UK and German prices.
                > >
                > > UK
                > > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD
                >
                > Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
                > Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
                > and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
                > Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
                > letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
                > the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
                > Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
                > like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

                John
                I am referring to the website he is linking to.
                http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

                Hans
              • Paul F
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                  On 1 Apr 2007, at 14:36, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                  > Hi Ian,
                  >
                  > True, but not all emails sent to this list make it through for some
                  > reason. Quite often it's difficult to follow certain threads due to
                  > missing emails or private replies. I know I'm missing emails because
                  > I can often read the emails I've missed as quotes in other replies. I
                  > think it's time the moderators seriously considered moving this list
                  > to a more stable platform.

                  Tis true,

                  yahoo is not very reliable, with missing posts, bouncing accounts,
                  multiple deliveries etc.

                  Steve Climpson is one of the people who has put time into this and
                  other campaigns with great results in the past.
                  Can I just add that anyone considering sending the adobe email also
                  cc it to bjp.editor@..., at least then someone will have
                  some indication of the
                  number of participants.

                  Cheers

                • Steve Climpson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                    On 1/4/07 18:20, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                    > I am referring to the website he is linking to.
                    > http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

                    I'm sorry but there is some confusion here. The petition I mentioned was not
                    started by Pro Imaging and nothing to do with me and I should have pointed
                    that out. I admit that the figures on the petition site are a little suspect
                    but in the letter I posted the figures are accurate as of todays Adobe
                    website.
                    I'll write to the person who started the petition and suggest that he checks
                    his figures.

                    Meanwhile the main thrust of the argument that Adobe has huge price
                    disparities between the USA and non USA and that this is unfair is correct.

                    Kind Regards

                    Steve

                    Steve Climpson

                    Pro Imaging