[OT] missing mails (was: CS3 software pricing disparity)

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      On Sunday, April 01, 2007 at 14:36, Matthew Rogers wrote:

      > I know I'm missing emails because
      > I can often read the emails I've missed as quotes in other replies. I
      > think it's time the moderators seriously considered moving this list
      > to a more stable platform.

      Strange enough, I get all mails. I'd suggest that any user who gets
      the impression he didn't get all mails first checks the bouncing mail
      list at
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/members?group=bounce
      and then looks whether eventually a spam filter ate up the mails or
      his/her mailbox was over quota.

      Since I check the bounce list on a regular basis I know that these
      are the most frequent reasons for bouncing mails - and there you find
      only the cases where the mail server responds and does not eat up the
      mail silently.

      I strongly recommend putting PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com on a white
      list if anything like that exists on your mail server. Another
      possibility is to read the list via NNTP newsreader, where you have
      the additional advantage of a nice threaded view. A detailed
      description how to use thunderbird for that task can be found on
      http://wiki.panotools.org/PanoTools:Newsreader

      Please don't reply to that message - the correct place for such
      discussions is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/

      best regards
      PanotoolsNG and Panotools-List moderator
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        On Apr 1, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Steve Climpson wrote:

        > If you use Adobe software, e.g. photoshop, and are thinking of
        > upgrading to
        > CS3 then you may be interested to learn of the huge price disparity
        > if you
        > buy outside of the USA.
        > The Pro Imaging group (www.pro-imaging.org) of professional
        > photographers is
        > launching an email campaign against this starting at 4pm Monday to
        > arrive in
        > the morning in California.
        > If interested then please send the letter (or write your own) below
        > to the 4
        > email addresses listed.
        >
        > There is a petition started at
        > http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-
        > software.html

        Well there is a difference but I advice you to check the prices.

        This guy does not seem to be able to read

        The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade
        from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
        Here are the UK and German prices.

        UK
        599pound +vat = 1179 USD

        Germany
        849 euro+VAT english = 1135 USD

        This makes the differences much smaller.
        Actually they always been this as long as I remember.
        Of course if you want a German or a Danish version you have to pay a
        little more but that has also always been the case.

        Hans

        Hans Nyberg
        Panoramas.dk<http://www.panoramas.dk> Features Fullscreen QTVR from
        the best VR Photographers
        email: hans@...
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

          > Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
          > Paul Fawley.

          Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

          Hans
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

            > This guy does not seem to be able to read
            >
            > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
            upgrade
            > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
            > Here are the UK and German prices.
            >
            > UK
            > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD

            Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
            Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
            and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
            Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
            letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
            the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
            Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
            like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

            Also, 599 UKP +vat = 703 UKP = 1383 USD (vat @ 17.5%)

            John
          • Steve Climpson
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              On 1/4/07 14:21, "Ian Wood" <panolists@...> wrote:

              >> Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
              >> Paul Fawley.

              I'm aware of that but Paul did not post the link to the online petition.
              I also think its worth pointing out that this is grossly unfair to the
              Europeans and shows a very strange attitude to a large user base.

              On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

              > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

              They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
              Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
              the USA is 440 dollars.
              The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
              vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
              I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
              I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

              Kind Regards

              Steve

              Steve Climpson

              Pro Imaging
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Climpson <steve@...> wrote:

                > On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.
                >
                > They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
                > Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
                > the USA is 440 dollars.
                > The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
                > vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
                > I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
                > I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

                Sorry but that is not what he says
                With new products comes new pricing... fair enough. However, prices for the
                same product (i.e. the mac design upgrade from CS2) go from 599$ for an
                upgrade in the US to 1'057$ in Switzerland and 1'134$ in France and Germany,
                the worse being 1'178 $ for the UK... not fair enough! (all prices excl. tax).

                Prices in Europe have always been a little higher, but 190% is pushing i
                End of Quote

                As you can see this is not the premium.
                The upgrade prices he quotes for Germany and UK are the same as i have found
                UK
                599pound +vat = 1179 USD +VAT
                Germany
                849 euro+VAT english = 1135 USD +VAT
                However he claims that the US upgrade is $599 which is a large difference from the true
                $899

                The real differences are not at all 190% as he claims but 120-30% max

                What you also has to remember is that the dolarr now is very cheap.
                You can not calculate euro prices on that.
                If the dollar just gains to the price it had a couple of months ago the difference will be
                much less. Adobe is not changing price here in Europe because the dollar gains 10%
                This is also the same the other way when european companies sell in US.

                Hans
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This guy does not seem to be able to read
                  > >
                  > > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
                  > upgrade
                  > > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
                  > > Here are the UK and German prices.
                  > >
                  > > UK
                  > > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD
                  >
                  > Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
                  > Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
                  > and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
                  > Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
                  > letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
                  > the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
                  > Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
                  > like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

                  John
                  I am referring to the website he is linking to.
                  http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

                  Hans
                • Paul F
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                    On 1 Apr 2007, at 14:36, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                    > Hi Ian,
                    >
                    > True, but not all emails sent to this list make it through for some
                    > reason. Quite often it's difficult to follow certain threads due to
                    > missing emails or private replies. I know I'm missing emails because
                    > I can often read the emails I've missed as quotes in other replies. I
                    > think it's time the moderators seriously considered moving this list
                    > to a more stable platform.

                    Tis true,

                    yahoo is not very reliable, with missing posts, bouncing accounts,
                    multiple deliveries etc.

                    Steve Climpson is one of the people who has put time into this and
                    other campaigns with great results in the past.
                    Can I just add that anyone considering sending the adobe email also
                    cc it to bjp.editor@..., at least then someone will have
                    some indication of the
                    number of participants.

                    Cheers

                  • Steve Climpson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                      On 1/4/07 18:20, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                      > I am referring to the website he is linking to.
                      > http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

                      I'm sorry but there is some confusion here. The petition I mentioned was not
                      started by Pro Imaging and nothing to do with me and I should have pointed
                      that out. I admit that the figures on the petition site are a little suspect
                      but in the letter I posted the figures are accurate as of todays Adobe
                      website.
                      I'll write to the person who started the petition and suggest that he checks
                      his figures.

                      Meanwhile the main thrust of the argument that Adobe has huge price
                      disparities between the USA and non USA and that this is unfair is correct.

                      Kind Regards

                      Steve

                      Steve Climpson

                      Pro Imaging