Re: [PanoToolsNG] THREAD CLOSED

  • Rodolpho Pajuaba
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
      Is it april first today all around the world, or just in Brazil? ;-)
      Relax, Ian, it's just a joke.
      Regards,
      Rodolpho Pajuaba

      Ian Wood wrote:
      > Any replies to Yuval's post should take place on <http://
      > groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/>.
      >
      > This PanoToolsNG list is not the appropriate place for such discussions.
      >
      > Ian Wood

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
        Ha, ha. Very funny. But maybe better on the -List list rather
        than here on the NG list, where it may puzzle people and is
        really quite OT.

        Roger

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
        Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
          ROTFL!!!
          :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
          I'd do it only to take the satisfaction to kick him in the ass in public.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
            Hello all,

            Although humour is always risky on an international list (see the
            user guidelines), the issue was not so much the joke as the topic.

            One of the primary reasons for the '-List' sub-list is to have a
            place where discussion of panoramic politics can take place *without*
            cluttering up the PanoToolsNG list and annoying those members who are
            only here for photography.

            User Guidelines
            <http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines>

            'Political' -List
            <http:// groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/>

            Ian Wood and the moderators of the PanoToolsNG list

            On 1 Apr 2007, at 14:59, Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:

            > Is it april first today all around the world, or just in Brazil? ;-)
            > Relax, Ian, it's just a joke.
            > Regards,
            > Rodolpho Pajuaba
          • robert_harshman
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
              I find this thread in bad taste, OT and where's a moderator when you
              need one? Why they are joining in.

              Look I don't have any history with or side of this battle that happen
              in the past and crops up now and then but as a user of this list I find
              this thread in very bad taste and I'm having a hard time believing it's
              not been shut down already. So, I guess it's OK to call for physical
              violence if the list moderators really dislike the person that is being
              threatened?

              I do not know or really care about the past riff with this list and the
              prior one, I'm not taking sides here as I don't see how it's relevant
              to discussing VR, Panos, etc. but I do find this posting quite
              irrelevant and in very bad taste.

              I think the moderators of this list should be ashamed and step back and
              review what they consider OK to post on this list.

              Robert Harshman
            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                Robert,

                Based on your email, I have to admit I have no idea what you are talking
                about. Could you provide more detail as to which post you are referring
                to?

                Thanks,

                Mark

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                  On Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 14:43, robert_harshman wrote:

                  [nothing that belongs on that list]

                  Please don't reply to the message of Robert and to this one. This is
                  very off topic on this list. Please read
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines.

                  If you have any complaints, adress them to the moderators directly:
                  PanoToolsNG-owner@yahoogroups.com or discuss them on

                  best regards
                  PanotoolsNG and Panotools-List moderator
                • Yuval Levy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                    For immediate release.

                    MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
                    night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
                    revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
                    was good news for panoramic photography.

                    This is the biggest Summer of Code ever and Google has shown tremendous
                    generosity by massively increasing the number of accepted applicants -
                    from 600 (last year) to 800 (this year's budget), then to 900 during
                    preliminary allocation to end up at "over 900 from a pool of over 3,000
                    student and nearly 6,200 applications". [1]

                    Following up on an idea of Pablo d'Angelo (the initiator of hugin),
                    Yuval Levy set in motion a team effort to build a mentoring organization
                    [2] with recognized experts from the community and beyond.

                    This community effort [3] was recognized by Google who accepted the
                    hugin/panotools bid to be one of 131 accredited mentoring organization
                    (out of over 300 applications) in the same league as established open
                    source projects such as MySQL, Mozilla, Drupal and FreeBSD.

                    The following projects are scheduled for completition by August 31 [4]:

                    Pedro Alonso from Spain, mentored by Herbert Bay from Switzerland, will
                    develop a new algorythm to identify better control points, so critical
                    to the stitching process [5]

                    Ippei Ukai from Japan currently in Scotland, mentored by Yuval Levy from
                    Israel currently in Canada, will produce a new user interface to make
                    this versatile tools even easier to use on multiple platforms
                    (Windows/Mac/Linux/Unix) [6]

                    Jing Jin from USA, mentored by Pablo d'Angelo from Germany, will develop
                    a robust blending algorithm to eliminate ghosting in HDR panoramas to
                    widen the range of applications for the HDR technique beyond the
                    perfectly still scenes [7]

                    Mohammad Shahiduzzaman from Bangladesh, mentored by John Cupitt from UK,
                    will look at the current bottleneck in panorama rendering to enable
                    efficient processing of very large images [8]

                    Leon Monctezuma from Mexico, mentored by Aldo Hoeben from The
                    Netherlands, will build on the community effort started last year to
                    produce a modern, native, universal VR viewer to support the widest
                    variety of panorama formats on multiple platforms [9]

                    "Each of these projects has the potential to have a big impact on how we
                    make and use panoramas and I am thankful to Google for this great
                    opportunity and to all those community members who participated actively
                    in the inception of this initiative." said a visibly happy Yuval Levy.
                    "Please welcome these student's contribution to the community and
                    support them with all means you can afford".

                    A number of community support initiatives are planned throughout the
                    summer. Current open source code contributors can contribute over the
                    established developers mailing lists [10],[11],[12],[13]

                    ABOUT HUGIN

                    hugin is the most advanced open source panorama stitching solution with
                    unique features such as embedded chromatic aberration correction and HDR
                    stitching. Initiated by Pablo d'Angelo, it is further developed and
                    supported by a wide community of open source developers and panorama
                    enthusiasts. [14],[15]

                    ABOUT PANOTOOLS

                    panotools is the most versatile open source collection of tools for
                    perspective manipulation. Initially developed by Helmut Dersch in 1998,
                    it is currently supported by open source developers and used by a number
                    of commercial photo stitching products. [16],[17]

                    ABOUT GOOGLE SUMMER OF CODE TM

                    Google Summer of Code TM is a program that offers student developers
                    stipends to write code for various open source projects. Google works
                    with several open source, free software and technology-related groups to
                    identify and fund several projects over a three month period. [18],[19]

                    ABOUT GOOGLE INC.

                    Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people
                    around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford
                    Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web
                    property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising
                    program, which is the largest and fastest growing in the industry,
                    provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while
                    enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered
                    in Silicon Valley with offices throughout North America, Europe, and
                    Asia. For more information, visit [20].

                    LINKS

                    [1] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/about.html>
                    [2] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_application>
                    [3] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters>
                    [4] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729>
                    [5] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=7C5ED822CD597EB1>
                    [6] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=E3AF6F5D4085A144>
                    [7] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=D94EFD474FA52C37>
                    [8] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=96B84CC76EDE0DBB>
                    [9] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=A56B2DB4C8B876F0>
                    [10] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Discussion_lists>
                    [12] <http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx>
                    [14] <http://hugin.sourceforge.net/>
                    [15] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin>
                    [16] <http://panotools.sourceforge.net/>
                    [17] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools>
                    [18] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60266&topic=10726>
                    [19] <http://code.google.com/soc/>
                    [20] <http://www.google.com/>

                    --
                    Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
                  • Jim Watters
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                      Thank you Yuval and everyone involved who manage to get so many projects
                      accepted by Googles summer of Code.

                      --
                      Jim Watters

                      Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                      http://photocreations.ca
                    • Andrew Crawford
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                        Yuval Levy wrote:
                        > For immediate release.
                        >
                        > MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
                        > night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
                        > revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
                        > was good news for panoramic photography.

                        > Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

                        Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

                        Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
                        so that we can point non-list-members at it?

                        Andrew Crawford
                      • Andrew Crawford
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                          Andrew Crawford wrote:
                          > Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

                          > Andrew Crawford

                          Er ... of course, I intended to write "thank you so much for
                          *spearheading* this for the community." No slight to the others who
                          helped with this intended.

                          Andrew Crawford
                        • Yuval Levy
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                            Andrew Crawford wrote:
                            >> Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

                            > Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
                            > so that we can point non-list-members at it?

                            no need to post it on the wiki. non-members can look at it:

                            Yuv