Re: [PanoToolsNG] CS3 software pricing disparity

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
      Paul Fawley.

      Ian
    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        Hi Ian,

        True, but not all emails sent to this list make it through for some
        reason. Quite often it's difficult to follow certain threads due to
        missing emails or private replies. I know I'm missing emails because
        I can often read the emails I've missed as quotes in other replies. I
        think it's time the moderators seriously considered moving this list
        to a more stable platform.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          On Sunday, April 01, 2007 at 14:36, Matthew Rogers wrote:

          > I know I'm missing emails because
          > I can often read the emails I've missed as quotes in other replies. I
          > think it's time the moderators seriously considered moving this list
          > to a more stable platform.

          Strange enough, I get all mails. I'd suggest that any user who gets
          the impression he didn't get all mails first checks the bouncing mail
          list at
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/members?group=bounce
          and then looks whether eventually a spam filter ate up the mails or
          his/her mailbox was over quota.

          Since I check the bounce list on a regular basis I know that these
          are the most frequent reasons for bouncing mails - and there you find
          only the cases where the mail server responds and does not eat up the
          mail silently.

          I strongly recommend putting PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com on a white
          list if anything like that exists on your mail server. Another
          possibility is to read the list via NNTP newsreader, where you have
          the additional advantage of a nice threaded view. A detailed
          description how to use thunderbird for that task can be found on
          http://wiki.panotools.org/PanoTools:Newsreader

          Please don't reply to that message - the correct place for such
          discussions is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/

          best regards
          PanotoolsNG and Panotools-List moderator
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            On Apr 1, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Steve Climpson wrote:

            > If you use Adobe software, e.g. photoshop, and are thinking of
            > upgrading to
            > CS3 then you may be interested to learn of the huge price disparity
            > if you
            > buy outside of the USA.
            > The Pro Imaging group (www.pro-imaging.org) of professional
            > photographers is
            > launching an email campaign against this starting at 4pm Monday to
            > arrive in
            > the morning in California.
            > If interested then please send the letter (or write your own) below
            > to the 4
            > email addresses listed.
            >
            > There is a petition started at
            > http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-
            > software.html

            Well there is a difference but I advice you to check the prices.

            This guy does not seem to be able to read

            The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade
            from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
            Here are the UK and German prices.

            UK
            599pound +vat = 1179 USD

            Germany
            849 euro+VAT english = 1135 USD

            This makes the differences much smaller.
            Actually they always been this as long as I remember.
            Of course if you want a German or a Danish version you have to pay a
            little more but that has also always been the case.

            Hans

            Hans Nyberg
            Panoramas.dk<http://www.panoramas.dk> Features Fullscreen QTVR from
            the best VR Photographers
            email: hans@...
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

              > Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
              > Paul Fawley.

              Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

              Hans
            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                > This guy does not seem to be able to read
                >
                > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
                upgrade
                > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
                > Here are the UK and German prices.
                >
                > UK
                > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD

                Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
                Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
                and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
                Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
                letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
                the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
                Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
                like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

                Also, 599 UKP +vat = 703 UKP = 1383 USD (vat @ 17.5%)

                John
              • Steve Climpson
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                  On 1/4/07 14:21, "Ian Wood" <panolists@...> wrote:

                  >> Steve, this information was already posted to the list yesterday by
                  >> Paul Fawley.

                  I'm aware of that but Paul did not post the link to the online petition.
                  I also think its worth pointing out that this is grossly unfair to the
                  Europeans and shows a very strange attitude to a large user base.

                  On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                  > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.

                  They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
                  Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
                  the USA is 440 dollars.
                  The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
                  vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
                  I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
                  I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

                  Kind Regards

                  Steve

                  Steve Climpson

                  Pro Imaging
                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Climpson <steve@...> wrote:

                    > On 1/4/07 16:15, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Yes and in addition the prices this guy is claiming are not correct.
                    >
                    > They are taken from the adobe UK & US site today and refer to Adobe Creative
                    > Suite 3 Design Premium. The UK upgrade for this is 465 GBP ex vat whereas
                    > the USA is 440 dollars.
                    > The Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard upgrade in the UK is 289 GBP ex
                    > vat whereas in the USA its 240 USD
                    > I'll let readers do the conversion from one currency to another.
                    > I believe that the disparity is even worse in other counties.

                    Sorry but that is not what he says
                    With new products comes new pricing... fair enough. However, prices for the
                    same product (i.e. the mac design upgrade from CS2) go from 599$ for an
                    upgrade in the US to 1'057$ in Switzerland and 1'134$ in France and Germany,
                    the worse being 1'178 $ for the UK... not fair enough! (all prices excl. tax).

                    Prices in Europe have always been a little higher, but 190% is pushing i
                    End of Quote

                    As you can see this is not the premium.
                    The upgrade prices he quotes for Germany and UK are the same as i have found
                    UK
                    599pound +vat = 1179 USD +VAT
                    Germany
                    849 euro+VAT english = 1135 USD +VAT
                    However he claims that the US upgrade is $599 which is a large difference from the true
                    $899

                    The real differences are not at all 190% as he claims but 120-30% max

                    What you also has to remember is that the dolarr now is very cheap.
                    You can not calculate euro prices on that.
                    If the dollar just gains to the price it had a couple of months ago the difference will be
                    much less. Adobe is not changing price here in Europe because the dollar gains 10%
                    This is also the same the other way when european companies sell in US.

                    Hans
                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Hans Nyberg <hans@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > This guy does not seem to be able to read
                      > >
                      > > The US price for the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
                      > upgrade
                      > > from Photoshop, Illustrator ETC. is not $599 but US $899.00
                      > > Here are the UK and German prices.
                      > >
                      > > UK
                      > > 599pound +vat = 1179 USD
                      >
                      > Hans, The prices quoted in the letter seem to match the Adobe
                      > Creative Suite Premium and accurately reflect what I found on the UK
                      > and US sites. You say the US price for Creative Suite 3 Design
                      > Standard u/g is not $599 but $899. But there is no mention in the
                      > letter that I can see of $599 anywhere. Furthermore, the price of
                      > the Standard u/g product is given on the US site as $240, not $899.
                      > Perhaps we are looking at different lists or not comparing like with
                      > like. Maybe you could clarify your figures.

                      John
                      I am referring to the website he is linking to.
                      http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

                      Hans
                    • Paul F
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                        On 1 Apr 2007, at 14:36, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                        > Hi Ian,
                        >
                        > True, but not all emails sent to this list make it through for some
                        > reason. Quite often it's difficult to follow certain threads due to
                        > missing emails or private replies. I know I'm missing emails because
                        > I can often read the emails I've missed as quotes in other replies. I
                        > think it's time the moderators seriously considered moving this list
                        > to a more stable platform.

                        Tis true,

                        yahoo is not very reliable, with missing posts, bouncing accounts,
                        multiple deliveries etc.

                        Steve Climpson is one of the people who has put time into this and
                        other campaigns with great results in the past.
                        Can I just add that anyone considering sending the adobe email also
                        cc it to bjp.editor@..., at least then someone will have
                        some indication of the
                        number of participants.

                        Cheers

                      • Steve Climpson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                          On 1/4/07 18:20, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                          > I am referring to the website he is linking to.
                          > http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fair-pricing-for-european-software.html

                          I'm sorry but there is some confusion here. The petition I mentioned was not
                          started by Pro Imaging and nothing to do with me and I should have pointed
                          that out. I admit that the figures on the petition site are a little suspect
                          but in the letter I posted the figures are accurate as of todays Adobe
                          website.
                          I'll write to the person who started the petition and suggest that he checks
                          his figures.

                          Meanwhile the main thrust of the argument that Adobe has huge price
                          disparities between the USA and non USA and that this is unfair is correct.

                          Kind Regards

                          Steve

                          Steve Climpson

                          Pro Imaging