Press Release

  • Yuval Levy
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
      Embargo: 00.01 Monday April 2nd
      Contact: Yuval Levy 1-800-*26-6066 ext. 57
      Photo opportunity: 7.15pm & 9.30pm PDT
      event by: panotools

      Anacortes, WA - After months of intense negotiations the PanotoolsNG
      moderators have agreed to return control of the community in the hands
      of John Spikowski.

      The secret negotiations, led by impartial negotiator Roger Howard, saw a
      break-through last night when Spikowski generously agreed to come back.

      "Today is a historical day for the community", so Howard. "Nobody has
      been more dedicated to this community than John".

      Details of the deal that will return Spikowski to the community in the
      role of SUMMUM BONUM include the change of the mailing list format to a
      forum hosted on Spikowski's highly available fault-tolerant failover
      redundant server.

      Speaking for the ex-moderators, Roger Williams was happy to "finally
      leave Yahoo's glitches with duplicate messages behind us and move to a
      trustworthy and safe environment".

      A last minute attempt to derail the negotiations failed when the
      misinformation on <http://www.panotools.org/debunk> was debunked. Ian
      Wood commented the accident: "We are investigating and will take
      punishing actions against those responsible".

      The deal could only be closed after John was offered the positions of
      artistic director at the World Whine Panorama and of chief administrator
      of the community's hugin/panotools Google Summer of Code initiative.

      "I always looked at him as a source of inspiration." said Mickael
      Therer, a leading community photographer.

      "I will invite him to lecture at my university." Luca Vascon, visibly
      happy over the outcome of the negotiations.

      "With him at the helm, Google will be impressed and will award our
      students more scholarships than to any other project" said a visibly
      happy Jim Watters, current panotools maintainer.

      In a gesture of magnanimity Spikowski agreed to let Erik Krause and
      Yuval Levy stay in the community, on condition that they will produce
      100 panoramas in 24 hours using only the cameras supplied online by his
      latest sponsor at
      <http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=1026&pq-locale=en_US>

      The pictures will have to be published on <http://pano.erik-krause.de/>
      and <http://www.photopla.net/>.

      --
      Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
      Verbatim copying and distribution on other medium than YahooGroup
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
        Any replies to Yuval's post should take place on <http://
        groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/>.

        This PanoToolsNG list is not the appropriate place for such discussions.

        Ian Wood
      • Rodolpho Pajuaba
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
          Is it april first today all around the world, or just in Brazil? ;-)
          Relax, Ian, it's just a joke.
          Regards,
          Rodolpho Pajuaba

          Ian Wood wrote:
          > Any replies to Yuval's post should take place on <http://
          > groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/>.
          >
          > This PanoToolsNG list is not the appropriate place for such discussions.
          >
          > Ian Wood

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
            Ha, ha. Very funny. But maybe better on the -List list rather
            than here on the NG list, where it may puzzle people and is
            really quite OT.

            Roger

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
              ROTFL!!!
              :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
              I'd do it only to take the satisfaction to kick him in the ass in public.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                Hello all,

                Although humour is always risky on an international list (see the
                user guidelines), the issue was not so much the joke as the topic.

                One of the primary reasons for the '-List' sub-list is to have a
                place where discussion of panoramic politics can take place *without*
                cluttering up the PanoToolsNG list and annoying those members who are
                only here for photography.

                User Guidelines
                <http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines>

                'Political' -List
                <http:// groups.yahoo.com/group/Panotools-List/>

                Ian Wood and the moderators of the PanoToolsNG list

                On 1 Apr 2007, at 14:59, Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:

                > Is it april first today all around the world, or just in Brazil? ;-)
                > Relax, Ian, it's just a joke.
                > Regards,
                > Rodolpho Pajuaba
              • robert_harshman
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                  I find this thread in bad taste, OT and where's a moderator when you
                  need one? Why they are joining in.

                  Look I don't have any history with or side of this battle that happen
                  in the past and crops up now and then but as a user of this list I find
                  this thread in very bad taste and I'm having a hard time believing it's
                  not been shut down already. So, I guess it's OK to call for physical
                  violence if the list moderators really dislike the person that is being
                  threatened?

                  I do not know or really care about the past riff with this list and the
                  prior one, I'm not taking sides here as I don't see how it's relevant
                  to discussing VR, Panos, etc. but I do find this posting quite
                  irrelevant and in very bad taste.

                  I think the moderators of this list should be ashamed and step back and
                  review what they consider OK to post on this list.

                  Robert Harshman
                • Mark D. Fink
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Robert,

                    Based on your email, I have to admit I have no idea what you are talking
                    about. Could you provide more detail as to which post you are referring
                    to?

                    Thanks,

                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                      On Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 14:43, robert_harshman wrote:

                      [nothing that belongs on that list]

                      Please don't reply to the message of Robert and to this one. This is
                      very off topic on this list. Please read
                      http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines.

                      If you have any complaints, adress them to the moderators directly:
                      PanoToolsNG-owner@yahoogroups.com or discuss them on

                      best regards
                      PanotoolsNG and Panotools-List moderator
                    • Yuval Levy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                        For immediate release.

                        MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
                        night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
                        revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
                        was good news for panoramic photography.

                        This is the biggest Summer of Code ever and Google has shown tremendous
                        generosity by massively increasing the number of accepted applicants -
                        from 600 (last year) to 800 (this year's budget), then to 900 during
                        preliminary allocation to end up at "over 900 from a pool of over 3,000
                        student and nearly 6,200 applications". [1]

                        Following up on an idea of Pablo d'Angelo (the initiator of hugin),
                        Yuval Levy set in motion a team effort to build a mentoring organization
                        [2] with recognized experts from the community and beyond.

                        This community effort [3] was recognized by Google who accepted the
                        hugin/panotools bid to be one of 131 accredited mentoring organization
                        (out of over 300 applications) in the same league as established open
                        source projects such as MySQL, Mozilla, Drupal and FreeBSD.

                        The following projects are scheduled for completition by August 31 [4]:

                        Pedro Alonso from Spain, mentored by Herbert Bay from Switzerland, will
                        develop a new algorythm to identify better control points, so critical
                        to the stitching process [5]

                        Ippei Ukai from Japan currently in Scotland, mentored by Yuval Levy from
                        Israel currently in Canada, will produce a new user interface to make
                        this versatile tools even easier to use on multiple platforms
                        (Windows/Mac/Linux/Unix) [6]

                        Jing Jin from USA, mentored by Pablo d'Angelo from Germany, will develop
                        a robust blending algorithm to eliminate ghosting in HDR panoramas to
                        widen the range of applications for the HDR technique beyond the
                        perfectly still scenes [7]

                        Mohammad Shahiduzzaman from Bangladesh, mentored by John Cupitt from UK,
                        will look at the current bottleneck in panorama rendering to enable
                        efficient processing of very large images [8]

                        Leon Monctezuma from Mexico, mentored by Aldo Hoeben from The
                        Netherlands, will build on the community effort started last year to
                        produce a modern, native, universal VR viewer to support the widest
                        variety of panorama formats on multiple platforms [9]

                        "Each of these projects has the potential to have a big impact on how we
                        make and use panoramas and I am thankful to Google for this great
                        opportunity and to all those community members who participated actively
                        in the inception of this initiative." said a visibly happy Yuval Levy.
                        "Please welcome these student's contribution to the community and
                        support them with all means you can afford".

                        A number of community support initiatives are planned throughout the
                        summer. Current open source code contributors can contribute over the
                        established developers mailing lists [10],[11],[12],[13]

                        ABOUT HUGIN

                        hugin is the most advanced open source panorama stitching solution with
                        unique features such as embedded chromatic aberration correction and HDR
                        stitching. Initiated by Pablo d'Angelo, it is further developed and
                        supported by a wide community of open source developers and panorama
                        enthusiasts. [14],[15]

                        ABOUT PANOTOOLS

                        panotools is the most versatile open source collection of tools for
                        perspective manipulation. Initially developed by Helmut Dersch in 1998,
                        it is currently supported by open source developers and used by a number
                        of commercial photo stitching products. [16],[17]

                        ABOUT GOOGLE SUMMER OF CODE TM

                        Google Summer of Code TM is a program that offers student developers
                        stipends to write code for various open source projects. Google works
                        with several open source, free software and technology-related groups to
                        identify and fund several projects over a three month period. [18],[19]

                        ABOUT GOOGLE INC.

                        Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people
                        around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford
                        Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web
                        property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising
                        program, which is the largest and fastest growing in the industry,
                        provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while
                        enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered
                        in Silicon Valley with offices throughout North America, Europe, and
                        Asia. For more information, visit [20].

                        LINKS

                        [1] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/about.html>
                        [2] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_application>
                        [3] <http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters>
                        [4] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729>
                        [5] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=7C5ED822CD597EB1>
                        [6] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=E3AF6F5D4085A144>
                        [7] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=D94EFD474FA52C37>
                        [8] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=96B84CC76EDE0DBB>
                        [9] <http://code.google.com/soc/pano/appinfo.html?csaid=A56B2DB4C8B876F0>
                        [10] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Discussion_lists>
                        [12] <http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx>
                        [14] <http://hugin.sourceforge.net/>
                        [15] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin>
                        [16] <http://panotools.sourceforge.net/>
                        [17] <http://wiki.panotools.org/Panotools>
                        [18] <http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60266&topic=10726>
                        [19] <http://code.google.com/soc/>
                        [20] <http://www.google.com/>

                        --
                        Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy
                      • Jim Watters
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                          Thank you Yuval and everyone involved who manage to get so many projects
                          accepted by Googles summer of Code.

                          --
                          Jim Watters

                          Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                          jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                          http://photocreations.ca
                        • Andrew Crawford
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                            Yuval Levy wrote:
                            > For immediate release.
                            >
                            > MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - April 12, 2007 UTC - It went well into the
                            > night, it was full of tension and suspense, but when Google finally
                            > revealed the list of accepted students to this year's Summer of Code, it
                            > was good news for panoramic photography.

                            > Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

                            Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

                            Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
                            so that we can point non-list-members at it?

                            Andrew Crawford
                          • Andrew Crawford
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                              Andrew Crawford wrote:
                              > Awesome, Yuval. Thank you so much for doing this for the community.

                              > Andrew Crawford

                              Er ... of course, I intended to write "thank you so much for
                              *spearheading* this for the community." No slight to the others who
                              helped with this intended.

                              Andrew Crawford
                            • Yuval Levy
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                                Andrew Crawford wrote:
                                >> Copyright © 2007 Yuval Levy

                                > Is there any chance we could get this press release posted on the wiki
                                > so that we can point non-list-members at it?

                                no need to post it on the wiki. non-members can look at it:

                                Yuv