Re: Lost Link to simple pano bracket

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
      In the vice jaws I put some scrap pieces of aluminum on each side to
      protect the piece that I'm working on and instead of a sharp bend I
      give it more of a roll. Also some pieces of aluminum will bend
      better than others.
      I also use ¼ inch aluminum flat bar and after bending it I think it
      could be run over by a car without hurting it.
      Here is a slideshow of the first one that I made. It did have some
      small cracks at the bend but the bracket is so thick there was no
      worry about it breaking.
      http://www.camelphotos.com/pano_head.html

      Roger Berry
      http://360VRphotos.com

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
        On Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 10:51, Carl von Einem wrote:

        > There is a reason that a freeclimber will exchange that part of his/her
        > gear (made from aluminum) ASAP if dropped. Aluminum will get very fine
        > cracks (fissures) and break some time later without a warning.

        Sorry, but this is a myth that has been refuted by the "DAV
        Sicherheitskreis" (german alpine club - safety section) several years
        ago. According to Pit Schubert this applies to climbing gear, because
        it constits of a special type of aluminium alloy. Cheap aluminium
        profiles will probably behave differently...

        However, stainless steel is far worse in this regard. Who ever
        climbed the "Boulder Highway" (Grimsel, Switzerland) in the late
        eighties knows what I'm talking about...

        BTW.: The DAV magazine is named "Panorama" - only to get at least a
        bit back on topic ;-)

        best regards
        --
        Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
        Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
          With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
          the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
          in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
          aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.

          Roger Berry
          http://360VRphotos.com
        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
            On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:

            > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
            > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
            > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
            > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
            >
            > Roger Berry

            Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
            1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
            for me.

            Ian
          • Blake Michaelson
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 31, 2007
              This works quite well for me -
              http://geekography.com/polepano/polepano-82mm.htm - although it is nearly
              identical to those mentioned earlier - btw they've been powdercoated with a
              black medium texture now. I recently found that although, although designed
              for spherical panos with the Canon 350D and the Peleng 8mm, it works really
              well for single-row panos (i.e. non-spherical) with the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens
              that everybody loves, I haven't done much testing, but I was pleased with
              my initial results.

              On 3/31/07, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

              > On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:36, Roger Berry wrote:
              >
              > > With a setup like this going on a pole, I would be more worried about
              > > the small ¼ inch threads on the knob that hold the camera and bracket
              > > in place. A lot of them used in photography equipment are made out of
              > > aluminum. The ones that I use are stainless steel.
              > >
              > > Roger Berry
              >
              > Yes, I've never really trusted 1/4" alu screws. Stainless or brass
              > 1/4", or for heavy stuff 3/8" brass for everything but table-tripods,
              > for me.
              >
              > Ian

            • Peter Reimer
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
                Roger Berry schrieb:
                > Is this what you're looking for?
                [...]
                > http://www.camelphotos.com/pic3/pano_head.jpg

                Thank you Roger, that was the one i remembered.

                Greetings,
                Peter
              • Carl von Einem
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Thanks for that information about climbing gear, nonethelesss I will
                  still try to be very careful with both my climbing and photography
                  equipment in the future :-)
                  I know the DAV magazine but only read it from time to time. I always
                  appreciated their technical discussions and tests about security issues.

                  So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                  "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                  to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                  made bracket on
                  http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                  where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.
                  And I know that bracket is not as elegant as other brackets I've seen,
                  it was just a prototype which worked very well for me for a long time.

                  Oh, and yes: I also try to use 3/8" instead of 1/4" wherever possible.

                  Carl

                  Posted by: "Erik Krause"

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 2007
                    On Monday, April 02, 2007 at 16:33, Carl von Einem wrote:

                    > So when constructing self made panorama brackets using aluminum from
                    > "unknown" sources one should still take into account other possible ways
                    > to minimize weight AND keep it both simple and safe. See my first self
                    > made bracket on
                    > http://einem.net/tech/voigtlaender/
                    > where I used L shaped aluminum profiles. Aluminum is not a bad material.

                    Yes, I know. However, material that can be bent in a home workshop
                    probably is not stiff enough for a pano bracket. That's why I was so
                    glad to discover the Item profiles with really good corner joints for
                    my bracket...

                    best regards