Re: Fine Tune Control Points ... On or Off?

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2007
      On Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 12:52, stuart mcalister wrote:

      > According to PTMac's tutorial, they say that "the fine
      > tuning options are not recommended for fisheye
      > images".
      >
      > However, I am using PTGui and wonder if any users of
      > this know if PTGui has the option to turn OFF the fine
      > tuning option? I've searched everywhere within
      > Preferences and in Advanced Mode and no such button
      > exists. Is it just the lucky users of PTMac (and maybe
      > others) who have this option?

      PTGui doesn't seem to have this limitation. Automatic control point
      creations works pretty good, both for rectilinear and fisheye images.

      PTGui apparently remaps images for control point fine tuning, since
      the CP generator does not work for other projections than rectilinear
      or fisheye - especially not for equirectangular. Hence you can't use
      it to stitch an additional image into a ready stitched panorama.

      best regards
      --
      Copyright (c) 2007 Erik Krause
      Verbatim copying and distribution strictly forbidden
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hello, I have one problem following the workflow that was drafted in
        that thread. Once I have created a template in Ptgui from the first
        set of pictures I create a new project and apply that saved template.
        I then load the next series of pictures and then I navigate directly
        into the create panorama tab. Here's my problem, once I press send to
        batch stitcher I can see it loads and blends all images of that series
        but the output is only the panopicture with showing only the first
        picture (0) of that series. All others pictures (2-6) are shown as
        black. I made sure that all images were selected in the creation tab
        and I see the batcher takes all pictures. I don't know where this
        comes from. Any ideas?
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zeitreisender_2033" <subscriber02@...> wrote:

          > Hello, I have one problem following the workflow that was drafted in
          > that thread. Once I have created a template in Ptgui from the first
          > set of pictures I create a new project and apply that saved template.
          > I then load the next series of pictures and then I navigate directly
          > into the create panorama tab. Here's my problem, once I press send to
          > batch stitcher I can see it loads and blends all images of that series
          > but the output is only the panopicture with showing only the first
          > picture (0) of that series. All others pictures (2-6) are shown as
          > black. I made sure that all images were selected in the creation tab
          > and I see the batcher takes all pictures. I don't know where this
          > comes from. Any ideas?

          You have to load the images first and then apply the template.
          It wont work if you apply the template without images.

          Use advanced mode and check that the template has applied all the settings from your
          original project.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
            On Monday, April 02, 2007 at 12:42, Hans Nyberg wrote:

            > You have to load the images first and then apply the template.
            > It wont work if you apply the template without images.
            >
            > Use advanced mode and check that the template has applied all the
            > settings from your original project.

            ...and check Pano Editor (Ctrl+E on windows) to see whether the
            images are aligned properly prior to stitching.

            best regards
            --
          • Sharpeshotsphoto@shaw.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
              One EXTREMELY useful tip I found online after much frustration with 'JAGGIES' was extremely simple to do.
              If you're reducing size and you want to avoid these, simply reduce the original to 90% and then do the same with each successive one until you get to the size you're after.
              I made up a very small action for this.
              I manually reduce the Image Size to 72 ppi (*if I'm sizing for WEB) from 300 ppi and then enlarge my onscreen image back to fullscreen @ 100%.
              I just hit the arrow on my action repeatedly until the Image reduces to the size I need.
              NO Jaggies and works like a charm.
              Wish I had known about this a lot sooner.
              To clarify, just drop the image size by 10% successively and goodbye shark's teeth.

              Cheers,

              John Sharpe/Sharpeshots
              www.Sharpeshots.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
                On Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 14:54, Sharpeshotsphoto@... wrote:

                > One EXTREMELY useful tip I found online after much frustration with 'JAGGIES'
                > was extremely simple to do. If you're reducing size and you want to avoid
                > these, simply reduce the original to 90% and then do the same with each
                > successive one until you get to the size you're after. I made up a very small
                > action for this. I manually reduce the Image Size to 72 ppi (*if I'm sizing
                > for WEB) from 300 ppi and then enlarge my onscreen image back to fullscreen @
                > 100%. I just hit the arrow on my action repeatedly until the Image reduces to
                > the size I need. NO Jaggies and works like a charm. Wish I had known about
                > this a lot sooner. To clarify, just drop the image size by 10% successively
                > and goodbye shark's teeth.

                Yes, this is known as "step interpolation" for some time. However,
                this applies to photoshop, not to PTGui. PTGui is able to use high
                quality anti-aliasing interpolators which should produce no jaggies
                regardles of the amount of downsizing. If it produces them anyway,
                this must be considered a bug.

                best regards